The Blair "Which?" Project | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Blair "Which?" Project

Still getting the 10th & 11th player available to us.Battle compo is a pain but in the context of it.Pick 29(Bolton) & 2 premierships for pick 10 & 11 is a great outcome.
Not to mention Bakes.Rookie pick & 2 Premierships for pick 14ish.
My comment is in a slightly different context. There are some questioning whether 9 and 10 is a too high price for Bolton but my point was it is really 12 and 13

I agree it is a good outcome if we get it

Reactions: 1 user
Maybe I am alone here, but reading about Mac Andrews contract length and amount is bonkers.

Becoming more and more like the NBA every season.
The NBA has a ridiculously strict salary cap- dictating what individuals can sign for. And the Max length of contracts is 5 years.

Lol i do like the line being chased by desperate clubs, oh the hyperbole.
Hyperbole? Of course they are desperate, opportunities like this rarely present themselves. You have to be desperate to get a deal like this done. We were desperate to get Nathan Brown, Dion Prestia and Tom Lynch. There are no guarantees of course, it may not happen, but one thing is for certain, they will be desperados.

Bolton people saying Fremantle will give up 9 and 10. Never heard so much wishful thinking for a long time. Imo we will barter into picks 9 and 17.
I'd love to buy a car off you, or a house. Anything for that matter.

9 and 10 is cheap. It could happen I'll give you that, a lot of things could happen, and if it does they are making out like bandits. That isn't just wishful thinking, its based on data analysis.

Reactions: 1 users
Good luck with Jack Martin would be my reply. Bolton isn’t traded for pick 9 alone. Clunk goes phone.
Looks like getting Jack Martin has become very easy for Freo…if they really want him:

“FORMER big-money recruit Jack Martin and ex-Giant Caleb Marchbank are among five Carlton players delisted after another season hampered by significant injuries across the squad.

Half-forward David Cuningham has also been farewelled after eight seasons, while untried rookie pair Alex Mirkov and Dom Akuei won't have their contracts renewed. “

Looks like getting Jack Martin has become very easy for Freo…if they really want him:

“FORMER big-money recruit Jack Martin and ex-Giant Caleb Marchbank are among five Carlton players delisted after another season hampered by significant injuries across the squad.

Half-forward David Cuningham has also been farewelled after eight seasons, while untried rookie pair Alex Mirkov and Dom Akuei won't have their contracts renewed. “
One team’s discards are another team’s gold!!

Assuming Jack Graham leaves on 600 k and dusty plays for 600 k, that surely increases the chances of a better compo pick doesn't it?
It also increases the chance that gc need salary relief for Rioli.

Last edited:
Well we are about to find out what clubs are prepared to pay. One persons mediocre trade is a good trade to someone else.

I dont think Rioli or Bolton are vital needs for either team push too hard and you may walk away with nothing.
Don't feed the troll!

Assuming Jack Graham leaves on 600 k and dusty plays for 600 k, that surely increases the chances of a better compo pick doesn't it?
It also increases the chance that gc need salary relief for Rioli.
I’m not sure how they work out the “ nett”
I know if you had a FA going out of your club and a FA coming in they can work out a “nett” effect.
But if you had multiple FA’s going do they give an individual value to each or add them together to give one pick overall?
I’ve yet to see it explained properly. Or officially. Only opinions.
Might have to see if there’s anything in the CBA that explains it better.

*edit
All I can find is
“That if a club suffers a net loss to/from other clubs they may be entitled to compensation”
It’s still no clearer.

Ordinarily you’d think it would have to be on a case by case basis for individual compensation.
Not stack up 2 x band 2’s and get a band 1 out of it. But it is the afl so who knows.
Further digging.
Aidan Corr GWS to NM comp pick 31
Zac Williams GWS to Carlton comp pick 10.

So going by that I believe the compo picks are individual not added together.

Last edited:
I know if you had a FA going out of your club and a FA coming in they can work out a “nett” effect.
But if you had multiple FA’s going do they give an individual value to each or add them together to give one pick overall?

*edit
All I can find is
“That if a club suffers a net loss to/from other clubs they may be entitled to compensation”
It’s still no clearer.

Ordinarily you’d think it would have to be on a case by case basis for individual compensation.
Not stack up 2 x band 2’s and get a band 1 out of it. But it is the afl so who knows.
Further digging.

Your bottom explanation is correct that the compensation picks are added individually.

To take it one further step - my understanding for the offset (FA coming in) and with a team having multiple FA compensations then 'the net' is taken against the equivalent FA compensation.

In your example above - if GWS in 2020 brought in a FA with a value of Band 3 then it would have been offset against the Aidan Corr compensation of pick 31. GWS pick 10 compensation would stay.

The CBA has the FA compensation information on page 173 but not that much detail in it in regards to your question.

Reactions: 2 users
Your bottom explanation is correct that the compensation picks are added individually.

To take it one further step - my understanding for the offset (FA coming in) and with a team having multiple FA compensations then 'the net' is taken against the equivalent FA compensation.

In your example above - if GWS in 2020 brought in a FA with a value of Band 3 then it would have been offset against the Aidan Corr compensation of pick 31. GWS pick 10 compensation would stay.

The CBA has the FA compensation information on page 173 but not that much detail in it.
Thanks Teck. There have been a few opinions on how it works. Jut trying to clarify for all of us.

*edit
All I can find is
It’s still no clearer.

Further digging.

So the only way we can gain an advantage out of this is salary cap relief for rioli to try and get an extra pick out of gc

Quick bit of mail that has come through…
WC hoping to announce their new coach this week so dominoes will start falling after that.
For each free agent that leaves you get one pick for each (if any)..
I was told years ago that one of the “secret herbs & spices” that goes into working out free agency compo is what contract has been offered to the player from the club he is leaving, if no or a minimal contract has been offered by the club losing the player, it dilutes the compo.
There are still a number of grenades to be thrown leading into and within the silly season (not necessarily us), load up on your pop corn.

• Love
Reactions: 20 users
WC hoping to announce their new coach this week so dominoes will start falling after that.
I was told years ago that one of the “secret herbs & spices” that goes into working out free agency compo is what contract has been offered to the player from the club he is leaving, if no or a minimal contract has been offered by the club losing the player, it dilutes the compo.
There are still a number of grenades to be thrown leading into and within the silly season (not necessarily us), load up on your pop corn.
Keep 'em coming Archy.

Reactions: 3 users
Are you suggesting if we lose a FA, the AFL will use our reaction to screw us over again ?

Bloody hell.
Was an article in the Hun just yesterday claiming that Wet Coke hadn't even started the formal face to face interviews n presentations yet. Only done a few initial skype contacts, partly because some of the contenders were still involved in finals. Fair bit of a change up if they're gunna be announcing the coach this week.

I think it will be Mini.