The Blair "Which?" Project | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Blair "Which?" Project

Very nice and long winded post that im sure alot of work went into but mine wont be so long and pretty easy

Richmond to fremantle - 9 & 10 or it doesnt get done and WE keep shai
Fremantle want to win a flag - What do they say ?

Richmond to GC - #6 + #12 , We will pay 50% salary or #6 + #20 NO SALARY contribution
wont trade if not 1 of the above - What do GC do ?

These 2 clubs have already commited to the players and made them come out and delare they want out exactly like
Prestia , Hopper , Taranto , Saad , Weller , Kelly , Cerra and many more in the past the buyer pays the price

Richmond sets the price not other teams circumstances or wants
our way or the highway
Massive point here.
Both of these clubs have committed to Shai and Dan.
Not a good look if you do the dirty.
We will get compensated fair and square.

Reactions: 3 users
Very nice and long winded post that im sure alot of work went into but mine wont be so long and pretty easy

Richmond to GC - #6 + #12 , We will pay 50% salary or #6 + #20 NO SALARY contribution
wont trade if not 1 of the above - What do GC do ?

These 2 clubs have already commited to the players and made them come out and delare they want out exactly like
Prestia , Hopper , Taranto , Saad , Weller , Kelly , Cerra and many more in the past the buyer pays the price

Richmond sets the price not other teams circumstances or wants
our way or the highway
What do Freo say? most likely keep Shai. we will use our picks on some great top end talent including Berry a small fwd.. We have enough small medium fwds who will continue to improve. You would know that if you took the time to actually look at their list.
The new kids will likely have an impact pretty quick. In the interim we will take Jack Martin for nicks.

Rioli well 6 and 20 is what most people are saying. WTF. Take a look at gcs list and the coming draft with the black and yellow blinkers off.
They have an abundance of half backs. Rioli plays a role that is often reserved for kids to develop in.

The next step for Freo is not winning a flag but playing finals and they have the cattle to do that without Bolton.

I don't see either club making a 100% commitment to either player nice bit of conjecture there. They are contracted and have a home at Richmond so its not as if a non trade will leave them stranded. The deal will have to suit both parties. Me im going to the draft you can think what you like about that.

Unlike most other drafts these clubs have a fall back line, like us with the players being contracted we can say no way. Its a super deep draft full of quality and they have quality picks and they can say nope too costly we are going to the very deep and talented draft.. But hey lets just ignore that.
Pretty sure both those clubs are weighing up exactly that.

Pretty sure the clubs have said if the deal is FAIR we will take you. If not you will stay at the tigers.

So you name some trades where you think clubs paid overs really. Plenty of trades that are in reverse.
To be honest Cerra, Taranto, and Prestia were fair trades given their roles and performances. The others well clubs are mugs sometimes we have seen that how often.

Anyway enough on this debate im sitting back from here on in with an open mind with no tiger blinkers on and waiting to see what unfolds.

What ever happens im pretty sure im not the one crying in their wheaties.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
What do Freo say? most likely keep Shai. we will use our picks on some great top end talent including Berry a small fwd.. We have enough small medium fwds who will continue to improve. You would know that if you took the time to actually look at their list.
The new kids will likely have an impact pretty quick. In the interim we will take Jack Martin for nicks.

Rioli well 6 and 20 is what most people are saying. WTF. Take a look at gcs list and the coming draft with the black and yellow blinkers off.
They have an abundance of half backs. Rioli plays a role that is often reserved for kids to develop in.

The next step for Freo is not winning a flag but playing finals and they have the cattle to do that without Bolton.

I don't see either club making a 100% commitment to either player nice bit of conjecture there. They are contracted and have a home at Richmond so its not as if a non trade will leave them stranded. The deal will have to suit both parties. Me im going to the draft you can think what you like about that.

Unlike most other drafts these clubs have a fall back line, like us with the players being contracted we can say no way. Its a super deep draft full of quality and they have quality picks and they can say nope too costly we are going to the very deep and talented draft.. But hey lets just ignore that.

Pretty sure the clubs have said if the deal is FAIR we will take you. If not you will stay at the tigers.

So you name some trades where you think clubs paid overs really. Plenty of trades that are in reverse.
To be honest Cerra, Taranto, and Prestia were fair trades given their roles and performances. The others well clubs are mugs sometimes we have seen that how often.

Anyway enough on this debate im sitting back from here on in with an open mind with no tiger blinkers on and waiting to see what unfolds.

What ever happens im pretty sure im not the one crying in their wheaties
*smile* Claw after all these years you still talk *smile*. Loved how you disappeared for our three flags. You needed to, considering all the bagging of our drafting and trading resulted in the complete opposite to what you predicted.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users

What ever happens im pretty sure im not the one slashing his wrists over what transpires.
No Chance they say keep Shai

Thats like closing their premiership window because they were too tight to pay up
They could take all 3 picks to the draft and the chance to fins a shai with all 3 picks would be less than 10% and even if they do it could take 4 years for that player to become a Shai

Freo need this player now and will p[ay

Massive point here.
Both of these clubs have committed to Shai and Dan.
Not a good look if you do the dirty.
We will get compensated fair and square.
Not only with how it looks but more how desperate they are for the players
Both teams are in the gun to perform

For freo its Now and a very real possibility the coach gets sacked if not a GF in the next 2 years

For GC we thats a done deal we dont even need lube

Reactions: 1 user

Did they ban you from BF again ?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

What ever happens im pretty sure im not the one crying in their wheaties. .
Both clubs have courted and committed to both players. How would that look if they backed out after they have asked for a trade?? It’s not the way AFL works. Richmond and Freo/GC will negotiate in good faith acknowledging both players are on long term contracts and they will have to pay overs. But both Freo and GC believe they are close to being serious finals contenders for years to come and giving away a few first Rd picks means little if they do make finals.
In the end I believe the Tiges will get the picks we are seeking.

Reactions: 5 users
I heard a list manager being interviewed a couple of years ago on this type of trade
the take aways for me were
most clubs come to the table in good faith , but there are a couple and everyone in the industry knows who they are
often the club that wants to get the player doesn't have good enough picks and he used the term "swings and round abouts"
and if you get unders on one trade you'll make up for it on another

I wonder if all the talk about a deep draft will make clubs want to hang onto their top picks ?

Gratrful if someone can point me to where a Freo official has said they are committed to trading for Shai?

I haven't seen them commit to him like GC did with Rioli.

Reactions: 1 user
Gratrful if someone can point me to where a Freo official has said they are committed to trading for Shai?

I haven't seen them commit to him like GC did with Rioli.
There isn't one and you wouldn't expect there to be but history tells us that when players like Bolton (and Baker) announce that they want to be traded then they know clubs want them and they also know what the contract details would be.

I have no doubt that Bolton and Baker have contract offers in front of them from at least one of the WA clubs, probably both.

It doesn't mean the deal will done of course but they usually are.

Well theres why you aren't and will never be a list manager.

You draft for talent for most of your lost and then trade for the cream to push deep into finals and beyond.

Really Freo should have been playing finals this year but their forward half wasn't good enough. Shai turns that around with 1 player. If you aren't trading for him when Freo are in the position they are, then you would never trade for any player and try and do it all via the draft. Lets see how that works out for you. I'm not sure I can name a club that has won a premiership, at least in recent history that hasn't made some key trades from other clubs just prior to winning the premiership.

Working backwards -

Collingwood - Bobby Hill is all you need to say but there were also others
Geelong - Cameron, Stengle (although was a DFA), again there were others
Melbourne - Level / May were the key ones
Richmond - Prestia, Nank, Townsend, Lynch
West Coast - Rioli was probably their closest one, but probably the closest one, though made trades throughout, would never have won it without Kennedy for example

Notice how many of them impact either forward or back. Thats what they want to do with Bolton, but go ahead, go the draft, by the time those players can really impact, Freos defence is too old, Ryan and Pearce probably retired and then they go around in circles again.

Freo say we have spoken to injury prone 29 year Jack Martin so we have a back up plan ;) take 9 or leave it.

• Haha
Most of these trades like this….
Club entices player to join them through their manager
Player is interested in joining them.
Manager goes to players current club and gives them the heads up with what’s happening and asks what will it take to let them go.
Current club says absolute no hope, he’s staying OR this is what it will take for us to consider it.
Manager goes to the club that’s chasing the player and says “This is what it will take to prise him out, if you don’t want to pay it,
drop the whole idea now”
If the club continues to chase the player and gets them to commit, it’s implied to all, they’re happy to pay asking price.
Club losing the player can then talk to other clubs about other trades and the club gaining a player knows what else they chase as they know what they have to spend.
Imagine Shai and his manager hearing from Freo now “Sorry guys, Jack Martin has become available now, we’re spending some of what we had for you on a bloke that’s played 6 games in 2 years”
The two worst clubs I’ve heard to trade with are Bombers & Bulldogs, they change their mind at the last minute a lot of the time, other clubs hate dealing with them and try to avoid chasing their players, it’s always their players wanting out chasing other clubs. Two biggest stuff up trades of late are Trealor & Dunkley.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users