The Blair "Which?" Project | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Blair "Which?" Project

If i was in charge at WCE id be offering pick 23 only. keeping 3 and 13. Then look at MAYBE offering a future second to someone to stay in this very even deep pool.

Dont shoot me im just looking at what direction id take if at WCE.
I actually would not be trading for Baker at all. Too early in rebuild to be trading quality picks for 27yo players who will be at the backend of of their careers before being ready to challenge.

If the roles were in reverse i would not want us to go after Baker but stay in the draft.
While I understand that you're being hard-nosed about trading players and I agree with you in the logical sense there is another aspect to this you're not factoring in.

Like Kane Cornes (sorry to bracket you) you are simply looking at what trades are best or logical.
This is not fully the case in trades.

The tempting club have been working for some time to attract the player.
They must back up this wooing with a willingness to pay a price at a level to what they have been saying the player is worth.
Further to this is that Baker has said he wants Richmond to get a fair price for his trade.
A "fair price" could be based on what he thinks he's worth, what he's been told he's worth (by both clubs) or media speculation.

Reactions: 1 users
Jack Carroll - carlton.
Gettable. Good value mid

STEAL — Jack Carroll (Pick 41, Carlton)

Not just any ordinary slider. The biggest slider of the night — and by quite some margin.

A classy midfielder with agility, great evasion skills and clean ball use, Carroll was rated among the top 20 players in foxfooty.com.au’spower rankings.

After a full season of WAFL Colts footy, Carroll has lifted his prospects, averaged 23.1 disposals and using it reasonably well off his left boot.

“Absolute steal. In my opinion he’s the steal of the draft so far,” Ablett said

Reactions: 1 users

Not just any ordinary slider. The biggest slider of the night — and by quite some margin.

A classy midfielder with agility, great evasion skills and clean ball use, Carroll was rated among the top 20 players in foxfooty.com.au’spower rankings.

After a full season of WAFL Colts footy, Carroll has lifted his prospects, averaged 23.1 disposals and using it reasonably well off his left boot.

I reckon he'll turn out to be the type of player we were hoping Dow would become.

Reactions: 1 user
Cornhole called Zac Butters soft after he was subbed off with bruised ribs against the Hawks. Blair should get on the blower to his manager and say that there's a rumour going around that Port Power put Cornhole up to saying it as a way of getting a response from Butters and his teammates.

Butters is a jet, has just turned 24, Jack Graham and a first round selection, makes some enquiries Blair.

Spent the year as carltons sub so it sounds like he is jack of it and cartoon.
Would be in our midfield every week.
But sounds like WCE have him in their sights. Hopefully he's got a Melbourne girlfriend

Alex Davies seems like the right type to walk to the PSD. If Dimma wants to take Daniel, charge him an arm and a leg and walk Davies to the PSD.

Alex Davies, 3 years at 600 and a prime slot in the midfield.
Apparently Dimma has talked Davies into staying with the Suns.

• Wow
While I understand that you're being hard-nosed about trading players and I agree with you in the logical sense there is another aspect to this you're not factoring in.

Like Kane Cornes (sorry to bracket you) you are simply looking at what trades are best or logical.
This is not fully the case in trades.

The tempting club have been working for some time to attract the player.
They must back up this wooing with a willingness to pay a price at a level to what they have been saying the player is worth.
Further to this is that Baker has said he wants Richmond to get a fair price for his trade.
A "fair price" could be based on what he thinks he's worth, what he's been told he's worth (by both clubs) or media speculation.
Nope im simply putting myself in the position of an opposing club and asking what i would do if in charge.
Just how long do you surmise these clubs have been chasing our players. Id say they havent for too long in fact a very short time especially when you read everything that has been written. Bolton and Rioli were not going anywhere until very recently.

You want an analogy without all the wishful thinking then i think the most likely scenario would be Baker for 23 and a future second.
I think that is generous when Bakers worth is being spoken about as somewhere between 15 and 20 in picks. As stated if in charge id be only offering pick 23 as wce are in the exact same business of building a list from a long way back as we are.

If we want pick 13 then we will need to come to the party. Personally i do not think 27yo Baker fits their needs atm. They are exactly like us and need draft picks because they are still very early into their rebuild. To get pick 13 off them id say baker and at least 29 for 13.
Its that even from 10 - 30 we may as well ignore pick 13.

Bolton people saying Fremantle will give up 9 and 10. Never heard so much wishful thinking for a long time. Imo we will barter into picks 9 and 17.

Gcs already have a plethora of picks for Lombard. Imo pick 6 and 20 will be the deal for Rioli. Here's a scenario they offer 13 20 and a future 1st or 2nd. and use 6 on lombard keeping the rest of their picks for bids.

Graham compo who knows he may get a long contract on decent money but im not sure it will be a band 3 or end of first rounder.
It could end up a pick around 40 that is if the yet to be selected new coach at wce wants him.

So shoot me for not jumping on the hype bandwagon of us attaining a gazillion top 10 picks with everything in our favour. i simply look at whats best for the club we are dealing with Look at what is a fair deal for both parties and show some restraint while things unfold.

If we get all those picks great over the moon. Planning for a bit less though.

There are so many scenarios that could unfold only time will tell which ones pan out.

Just how long do you surmise these clubs have been chasing our players. Id say they havent for too long in fact a very short time especially when you read everything that has been written. Bolton and Rioli were not going anywhere until very recently.
To be clear I have no idea how long these deals have been in the works but recently I listened to the Footyology podcast with Rohan Connelly and Rodney Eade. They were talking about the Petracca situation and Eade said that in most trades for well established players talks have been going on for most of the season, sometimes for a year and sometimes even longer.

It doesn't mean that all these deals happen but he said it is quite unusual if they crop up very late, certainly for high profile players.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
To be clear I have no idea how long these deals have been in the works but recently I listened to the Footyology podcast with Roahan Connelly and Rodney Eade. They were talking about the Petracca situation and Eade said that in most trades for well established players talks have been going on for most of the season, sometimes for a year and sometimes even longer.

It doesn't mean that all these deals happen but he said it is quite unusual if they crop up very late, certainly for high profile players.
Yep. Club list managers are in regular contact with the player managers and other club list managers year in year out, just waiting for a little sniff of possibility.

Bolton people saying Fremantle will give up 9 and 10. Never heard so much wishful thinking for a long time. Imo we will barter into picks 9 and 17.
Nobody knows what will happen. And you make some fair points, but this isn't one of them. Star player in his prime, under a LT contract, from WA, exactly what they need. Any number of comparisons says it will be a motza. If it happens it will be a huge trade, the sort of trade that most sides do once a decade, (we did more under Blair in the window), like us agonising for 6 to 12 months over Lynchy. They will sell the grandstand to make it happen.

To be clear I have no idea how long these deals have been in the works but recently I listened to the Footyology podcast with Rohan Connelly and Rodney Eade. They were talking about the Petracca situation and Eade said that in most trades for well established players talks have been going on for most of the season, sometimes for a year and sometimes even longer.

DRioli was rumoured in April or something wasnt he? Hindsight suggests the Suns have been chasing him for at least most of this season.
Bolton toured Freo mid year. It is unlikely that was the 1st contact between them, so again it is likely Freo have been chasing Bolton for most of the season.

Baker's value is a little hard to get an idea of, but both DRioli and Bolton are elite, both are under contract and both are being chased by clubs who think their respective prospective recruits can lift them to flag contention.

Pick 14 for Carroll & F1?

• Wow