The Blair "Which?" Project | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Blair "Which?" Project

Nope im simply putting myself in the position of an opposing club and asking what i would do if in charge.
Just how long do you surmise these clubs have been chasing our players. Id say they havent for too long in fact a very short time especially when you read everything that has been written. Bolton and Rioli were not going anywhere until very recently.

You want an analogy without all the wishful thinking then i think the most likely scenario would be Baker for 23 and a future second.
I think that is generous when Bakers worth is being spoken about as somewhere between 15 and 20 in picks. As stated if in charge id be only offering pick 23 as wce are in the exact same business of building a list from a long way back as we are.

If we want pick 13 then we will need to come to the party. Personally i do not think 27yo Baker fits their needs atm. They are exactly like us and need draft picks because they are still very early into their rebuild. To get pick 13 off them id say baker and at least 29 for 13.
Its that even from 10 - 30 we may as well ignore pick 13.

Bolton people saying Fremantle will give up 9 and 10. Never heard so much wishful thinking for a long time. Imo we will barter into picks 9 and 17.

Gcs already have a plethora of picks for Lombard. Imo pick 6 and 20 will be the deal for Rioli. Here's a scenario they offer 13 20 and a future 1st or 2nd. and use 6 on lombard keeping the rest of their picks for bids.

Graham compo who knows he may get a long contract on decent money but im not sure it will be a band 3 or end of first rounder.
It could end up a pick around 40 that is if the yet to be selected new coach at wce wants him.

So shoot me for not jumping on the hype bandwagon of us attaining a gazillion top 10 picks with everything in our favour. i simply look at whats best for the club we are dealing with Look at what is a fair deal for both parties and show some restraint while things unfold.

If we get all those picks great over the moon. Planning for a bit less though.

There are so many scenarios that could unfold only time will tell which ones pan out.

If you hadn't noticed both Rioli & Bolton are long term CONTRACTED players.
Both being chased by desperate clubs.
Why should we be fair about it?
We're losing players in their prime.

Reactions: 8 users
If you hadn't noticed both Rioli & Bolton are long term CONTRACTED players.
Both being chased by desperate clubs.
Why should we be fair about it?
We're losing players in their prime.
Lol i do like the line being chased by desperate clubs, oh the hyperbole.

How easy to say Richmond desperate for draft picks with only a two year window before Tassie.

Yes those boys are contracted if we want them then don't trade em. I bet both go on the table simply because that is our greatest need .
We don't actually have a hell of a lot of currency to sell. Better to sell em while they have good value.

I can just imagine all the angst in here when we draft a pile of kids with all those imaginary draft picks. Then it takes too long to climb the ladder.
Unreralistic about trades and more than likely unrealistic about how long it will take.

Reactions: 1 users
Is a key back really what we need after Gibcus, Young, Miller & Blight?
Not sure we can hitch our key defence wagon to Gibcus and we'll be lucky if one of Young, Miller & Blight become above average.

he's on the market?
Maybe

"Similar to the aforementioned Derksen, GWS defender Leek Aleer has also been seen by opposition clubs as a player of a gettable nature.

Unlike his teammate though, Aleer has had exposure at the top level before – having played a dozen matches for the senior side across two years at the Giants.

Aleer’s match-winning mark against Geelong in Round 11 was a personal highlight across his eight games so far in 2024, but he has been unsighted in Adam Kingsley’s side since Round 17.

“Leek Aleer is also stuck in the queue, they have one of the best back lines in the league GWS (that’s) very hard to break into,” Josh Barnes begun by saying.

“He played some good footy Aleer, but he’s had offers from elsewhere – he’s decided to stick it out for one more year at this stage.”

And Midweek Tackle panellist Jon Ralph wasn’t shy to put a heavy price tag on the 23-year-old, noting that the Demons may be better off chasing Aleer’s services alongside – or even instead of – Derksen.

Reactions: 1 user
We don't actually have a hell of a lot of currency to sell. Better to sell em while they have good value.
And that’s why we need to be ruthless and maximise the trades for Rioli and Bolton.

You don’t just accept a mediocre trade because we have nothing else to sell. GC and Freo have chased and committed to these guys so the onus is on them to make it happen.

It’s sends a very bad message to all future potential targets and their managers if you start stringing players along and then not doing the deal.

It’s actually not about what the players are worth it’s about how much you are prepared to pay and they are two very different things

Reactions: 6 users
And that’s why we need to be ruthless and maximise the trades for Rioli and Bolton.

You don’t just accept a mediocre trade because we have nothing else to sell. GC and Freo have chased and committed to these guys so the onus is on them to make it happen.

It’s sends a very bad message to all future potential targets and their managers if you start stringing players along and then not doing the deal.

It’s actually not about what the players are worth it’s about how much you are prepared to pay and they are two very different things
This is especially true for GC where historically good players haven’t wanted to go. When one does and you have actively chased them you pay what is needed to ensure that others will come. This is especially the case when GC have lots of picks and a plethora of developing kids. A well credentialed mature man player is worth far more to them than the yers they will draft with picks 6 and 12

Reactions: 5 users

Well we are about to find out what clubs are prepared to pay. One persons mediocre trade is a good trade to someone else.

I dont think Rioli or Bolton are vital needs for either team push too hard and you may walk away with nothing.

• Haha
Well we are about to find out what clubs are prepared to pay. One persons mediocre trade is a good trade to someone else.

I dont think Rioli or Bolton are vital needs for either team push too hard and you may walk away with nothing.
I agree just glad that the trading is being done by professional recruiters and list managers and not posters from here

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Actually if you listen to Docker supporters online a mercurial small forward like Bolton is a vital need. Michael Walters is almost done and Bolton would be an obvious replacement. This likewise explains why Kysaiah Pickett would also be high on their wishlist and even a broken down old Jack Martin has some interest.

As for how Gold Coast supporters feel about Rioli? Hard to tell? They'd actually have to exist to know for certain. But as for Bolton, a definite missing piece in their premiership jigsaw.

Reactions: 5 users

So the team that has a top 2 defence in the comp, but their offence is weak, you couldn't see the pressing need for a goalkicking small forward who can pinchhit very well in the midfield.

Gold Coast move the ball like a bunch of muppets coming out of their backline. You don't think you see the pressing need for a top quality half back to break the lines.

Sometimes I think you've never watched any of our players play.

Reactions: 4 users
Nope im simply putting myself in the position of an opposing club and asking what i would do if in charge.
Just how long do you surmise these clubs have been chasing our players. Id say they havent for too long in fact a very short time especially when you read everything that has been written. Bolton and Rioli were not going anywhere until very recently.

You want an analogy without all the wishful thinking then i think the most likely scenario would be Baker for 23 and a future second.
I think that is generous when Bakers worth is being spoken about as somewhere between 15 and 20 in picks. As stated if in charge id be only offering pick 23 as wce are in the exact same business of building a list from a long way back as we are.

If we want pick 13 then we will need to come to the party. Personally i do not think 27yo Baker fits their needs atm. They are exactly like us and need draft picks because they are still very early into their rebuild. To get pick 13 off them id say baker and at least 29 for 13.
Its that even from 10 - 30 we may as well ignore pick 13.

Bolton people saying Fremantle will give up 9 and 10. Never heard so much wishful thinking for a long time. Imo we will barter into picks 9 and 17.

Gcs already have a plethora of picks for Lombard. Imo pick 6 and 20 will be the deal for Rioli. Here's a scenario they offer 13 20 and a future 1st or 2nd. and use 6 on lombard keeping the rest of their picks for bids.

Graham compo who knows he may get a long contract on decent money but im not sure it will be a band 3 or end of first rounder.
It could end up a pick around 40 that is if the yet to be selected new coach at wce wants him.

So shoot me for not jumping on the hype bandwagon of us attaining a gazillion top 10 picks with everything in our favour. i simply look at whats best for the club we are dealing with Look at what is a fair deal for both parties and show some restraint while things unfold.

If we get all those picks great over the moon. Planning for a bit less though.

There are so many scenarios that could unfold only time will tell which ones pan out.
Very nice and long winded post that im sure alot of work went into but mine wont be so long and pretty easy

Richmond to fremantle - 9 & 10 or it doesnt get done and WE keep shai
Fremantle want to win a flag - What do they say ?

Richmond to GC - #6 + #12 , We will pay 50% salary or #6 + #20 NO SALARY contribution
wont trade if not 1 of the above - What do GC do ?

These 2 clubs have already commited to the players and made them come out and delare they want out exactly like
Prestia , Hopper , Taranto , Saad , Weller , Kelly , Cerra and many more in the past the buyer pays the price

Richmond sets the price not other teams circumstances or wants
our way or the highway

Last edited:
Reactions: 21 users
I agree just glad that the trading is being done by professional recruiters and list managers and not posters from here
Yes but the pro recruiters get their orders from the Board and Coaches on whats needed
Freo are desperate for a flag and they have the team to be in the mix the next 5-6 years
kids picked with 10 & 11 mean nothing and can take 5 years to develop if they even do become the player they need

Shai Bolton is the missing piece and worth a top #3 pick every day at the age of 26 with 7 years left
If we said just pick #10 they would bite our arm off
If we said 10 & 15 they would say yes without blinking and are expecting that to be the cost
Pick #10 & #11 they would not be happy but they would still pay it ON THE 1st DAY

So ask for all 3 picks and let it drag out until the last day and will most likely settle for 10 & 11 but there is a slight chance we may just get more

Reactions: 3 users
Yes but the pro recruiters get their orders from the Board and Coaches on whats needed
Freo are desperate for a flag and they have the team to be in the mix the next 5-6 years
kids picked with 10 & 11 mean nothing and can take 5 years to develop if they even do become the player they need

Shai Bolton is the missing piece and worth a top #3 pick every day at the age of 26 with 7 years left
If we said just pick #10 they would bite our arm off
If we said 10 & 15 they would say yes without blinking and are expecting that to be the cost
Pick #10 & #11 they would not be happy but they would still pay it ON THE 1st DAY

So ask for all 3 picks and let it drag out until the last day and will most likely settle for 10 & 11 but there is a slight chance we may just get more

Exactly. And if they don’t he has to honour his contract