The Blair "Which?" Project | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Blair "Which?" Project

Don’t disagree with your theory but you need to also remember Lefau and Gibcus might not feature until the middle of next year. We can’t go into next season with just Balta, Lynch and Kosi as our tall options.
Yes we can. We need midfielders and given we might have at least 2 in the first round we need to go for the midfielders given McAuliffe is the only one that shows natural ability for a contest.

Reactions: 1 user
Blair needs to get aggressive and creative with our list and salary cap. Why is it every year players want to go to Carlton, Essendon and Geelong. And they don't pay overs like we do. Where are the free agents choosing us? We haven't had a free agent since Lynch. Blair has been asleep since 2019. Time for him to wake up and do something.
We didn't pay overs for anyone.
Market value for bluechip-Lynch/ & Meatball
Markey value-Nank & Cadds
Below market-Grigga & Houli.

There was a reason we havn't had a FA since Lynch.Called success.Reward those who bring it.

Interesting interview with the Sun's recruiting manager Kall Burns in the video below from around 22 minute mark of the video.

Will be really active with their 3 first round picks come trade time. Looking to trade to bring players in to get to the next level.

Looks like they are definitely interested in Dan Rioli and Martin.

Talks a bit about the top end of the draft too.

Last edited:
From a different perspective I would consider trading out some of our picks again into future years

I think the biggest thing that slows development is lack of playing time and playing in a bad team. We still need playing time for brown, banks gibcus, mrj, Clarke sonsie,Campbell

Depending on the trade scenarios. I would prefer prefer 3 top 20 picks and then a late speculative pick and rookie picks. That would have ten players that we need to give opportunity too. Adding another 3 mid range picks 20-40 may be overload.

Clubs like hawthorn Fremantle and Essendon that think they are on the rise but have a poor draft hand and over rate their list may be tempted to trade a future 1 or 2 round pick. I would be asking the question to these clubs.

• Dislike
Interesting interview with the Sun's recruiting manager Kall Burns in the video below from around 22 minute mark of the video.

Will be really active with their 3 first round picks come trade time. Looking to trade to bring players in to get to the next level.

Looks like they are definitely interested in Dan Rioli and Martin.

Talks a bit about the top end of the draft too.

They can have Short

Reactions: 1 users
From a different perspective I would consider trading out some of our picks again into future years

I think the biggest thing that slows development is lack of playing time and playing in a bad team. We still need playing time for brown, banks gibcus, mrj, Clarke sonsie,Campbell

Depending on the trade scenarios. I would prefer prefer 3 top 20 picks and then a late speculative pick and rookie picks. That would have ten players that we need to give opportunity too. Adding another 3 mid range picks 20-40 may be overload.

Clubs like hawthorn Fremantle and Essendon that think they are on the rise but have a poor draft hand and over rate their list may be tempted to trade a future 1 or 2 round pick. I would be asking the question to these clubs.

I think we will aim to have 3 or 4 inside the top 20, and then have a few later picks to match a bid on Zayn Lockwood. I don't think we will add many, if any, between that 20 and 40 range.

• Dislike

This is apparently a super strong draft and the chance to really add good talent to our list. Stuff trading out of it, trade into it imo. There’s still going to be plenty of spots available in our side in the next few years as veterans either retire or fade in ability.
Hit it hard NOW, and develop the kids we draft.

Reactions: 4 users
Out list is a mess.
I can barely remember two less deserving extensions than Ryan & Ralphsmith. I understand why they have been but sheesh.
You actually watched a Richmond game this year? The trajectory of Ralphsmiths improvement is straight up - very much deserving of a new extension. Can’t wait to see what he can do with another pre season under his belt.

Reactions: 12 users
Out list is a mess.
I can barely remember two less deserving extensions than Ryan & Ralphsmith. I understand why they have been but sheesh.
Agree with Ryan. Ralphsmith is contributing far more than Picket was and McIntosh now. He has improved heaps.

Reactions: 5 users
You actually watched a Richmond game this year? The trajectory of Ralphsmiths improvement is straight up - very much deserving of a new extension. Can’t wait to see what he can do with another pre season under his belt.
I’ve watched every game. I think he’s improved but it’s been far more moderate than you obviously do. Is he good enough to play in a Premiership team? Not yet & am unconvinced ever. Any it’s what we’ve got atm.

• Dislike
Out list is a mess.
I can understand the frustration with Ryan, but a little over the top with Ralphsmith. I'd have probably waited a bit longer, but he's certainly shown a significant improvement.
As said elsewhere, he can be held onto until we recruit more depth/talent. But for the time being, far from our worst problem.

Got to find the mids and nippy forward pockets that aren't getting games.

Toby Bedford type. And push someone to the PSD. Let's get another Houli hit.

I spoke to someone in the know yesterday, they claimed that the VFL is still a gold mine that clubs aren't using well enough.

The first two names he gave me Sam Davidson and Andreas Stefanakis. Davidson we all know. Steganaskis chose Box Hill over Essendon VFL, apparently kicked 7 on Nick Hind in a VFL practice game this year but at Box Hill has been behind Watson and Wingard for most of the year. These are the types we need to be farming desperately.

Jack Carroll at carlton.
Riley Garcia at bulldogs.
Both have played seniors thhs year but there are incumbent stars in front of them.
Both wouldve played every game for us.

And Mr Ps favourite Phil Willips at north.

Reactions: 2 users
Here's my thinking about a situation that may work to our favour.

There are at least 13 clubs with every reason to believe they are in a premiership window. 12 currently have from 36-44 points. That's incredibly even. This breeds over confidence, impatience, desperation for success. Some will think "It's now or never. What must we do to take the next step?"

(I would not be writing this post if the competition was being totally dominated by 4-5 teams - the situation would be entirely different, especially the levels of confidence within the lower clubs.)

What did the top club do to take the next step? Went out and snagged Grundy. For Sydney, maybe that's the icing on the cake. Clearly they thought so.

At season's end, many other clubs will be looking for their own 'icing on the cake'. Demand will be huge. But supply will be limited. And when demand exceeds supply, you get scarcity, creating a sellers' market. Which means some buyers will have to pay 'overs' to get what they want.

So, how can we make the greed and desperation of other clubs work in our favour? When those clubs look at our list, how much 'icing on the cake' will they see? And what will they pay for it?

Richmond doesn't need 'icing' at present, as we no longer have a cake to put it on. We firstly need to bake a new cake.

In simple terms, how can Richmond help 3-4 other clubs improve their 2025 chances at a flag, while simultaneously improving our 2030 chances?

Let me put it another way - if some bloke told you at the start of 2017 that Townsend, Caddy, Graham, Grigg and Houli would play important roles in helping us win a flag that year, would you have agreed with him, or booked him in at a psychiatrist?

It's all about value, or, rather, perceived value, and it's not our perception that counts; it's how other clubs perceive the potential contribution of players like Short, Graham, Baker, Rioli, etc. It's the value those other clubs perceive that will have some knocking on our door.

So, in a sellers' market, don't be surprised if we get involved in more trades than we originally thought. It largely depends on:
  • The desperation (or foolishness) of other clubs
  • The individual ambitions and wishes of certain Tiger players
  • How savvy our recruiting dept is
Watch this space.

Reactions: 9 users