The Blair "Which?" Project | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Blair "Which?" Project

What are people’s thoughts on Maric from the Eagles?

I think he has talent but we need to be wary how many talls we can have on our list. How many would we have (excluding rucks), maybe 10 in an ideal scenario?

So we have Lynch, Balta, Ryan, Miller, Fawcett, Gibcus, Kosi, Young, Blight, Gray, Grimes, and Lefau. So we have 12, we added 2 of those in the MSD, so we started the year with 10.

Personally, I'm not sure we are likely to add a spare parts tall from another club, we'll try and add players at the top end of the draft, probably forwards, but out of those 12, we are only likely to lose Grimes, so I can't see us adding too many talls from other clubs, but we'll add 1 or 2 from the draft IMO.

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah I think we need to forget Pick 3 (unless we are trading a Pick 7 or 8 for it and I'm not sure thats going to be worth it for us).

I suspect we might get West Coasts 2nd and their 2nd for 2025, possibly with something going back to them, maybe a 3rd or something. If its West Coast, the likelihood is if we want a 1st out of Bakes we will need to trade for it. An extra 2nd in 2025 is potentially our path to getting 1 of GC's 1sts this year as they are highly likely to be trying to move those 2 picks into 2025 so it might give us an avenue to have more picks in 2025 to trade for 1 of those high picks.

Yeah good call - re: GC wanting 2025 picks.

But we wouldn't be wanting to give anything back if only getting those for Bakes.

West Coasts 2nd round pick this year will end up around pick 30 come draft night. And next years WC rd 2 pick likely the same, but hard to know obviously.

Reactions: 1 user
Probably, it's a shame given the precident set for the compensation Shockers received for Shultz...

Yeah so Freo got pick 38 in 2023 draft and Collingwoods first this year - Currently will be about 12-13 on draft night. Less if Collingwood can move up.

And that was with Collingwood going well below expectations so far.

If they went to what was expected this year - Say finish 4th or so. Dockers would have got around pick 20 + 38.

Not huge when you break it down and about what would expect for Bakes, considering he is out of contract.

Reactions: 1 users
Got to find the mids and nippy forward pockets that aren't getting games.

Toby Bedford type. And push someone to the PSD. Let's get another Houli hit.

I spoke to someone in the know yesterday, they claimed that the VFL is still a gold mine that clubs aren't using well enough.

The first two names he gave me Sam Davidson and Andreas Stefanakis. Davidson we all know. Steganaskis chose Box Hill over Essendon VFL, apparently kicked 7 on Nick Hind in a VFL practice game this year but at Box Hill has been behind Watson and Wingard for most of the year. These are the types we need to be farming desperately.

Reactions: 6 users
What are people’s thoughts on Maric from the Eagles?
I like him. Might be gettable for our 39th pick or as part of the Baker deal? These were the few i thought we might be worth considering: West Coast; Maric. Demons; Turner. Lions; Morris and Lohmann. Sydney: Campbell. Gold Coast: Bailey Humphrey. Freo: Sam Sturt and *Hayden Young and Josh Treacey- but not much chance now; as both have had amazing seasons and it would only come down to the "go home" factor. Bombers: Hobbs. Giants: Finn Callaghan; would cost us a bit as he's a gun.

I think he has talent but we need to be wary how many talls we can have on our list. How many would we have (excluding rucks), maybe 10 in an ideal scenario?

So we have Lynch, Balta, Ryan, Miller, Fawcett, Gibcus, Kosi, Young, Blight, Gray, Grimes, and Lefau. So we have 12, we added 2 of those in the MSD, so we started the year with 10.

Personally, I'm not sure we are likely to add a spare parts tall from another club, we'll try and add players at the top end of the draft, probably forwards, but out of those 12, we are only likely to lose Grimes, so I can't see us adding too many talls from other clubs, but we'll add 1 or 2 from the draft IMO.
right on. we need strong fast mids. Full stop.

I agree Mr P, good call

I want another tall but to me it needs to be a high quality 18-19 year old who can develop. If we can't get one this year then do it next year. The only other option is a free agent, don't want to see us trade away high draft picks

Yeah good call - re: GC wanting 2025 picks.

But we wouldn't be wanting to give anything back if only getting those for Bakes.

West Coasts 2nd round pick this year will end up around pick 30 come draft night. And next years WC rd 2 pick likely the same, but hard to know obviously.

Yeah depending where they fall or likely to fall will depend on what if anything they get back

Yeah I think we need to forget Pick 3 (unless we are trading a Pick 7 or 8 for it and I'm not sure thats going to be worth it for us).

I suspect we might get West Coasts 2nd and their 2nd for 2025, possibly with something going back to them, maybe a 3rd or something. If its West Coast, the likelihood is if we want a 1st out of Bakes we will need to trade for it. An extra 2nd in 2025 is potentially our path to getting 1 of GC's 1sts this year as they are highly likely to be trying to move those 2 picks into 2025 so it might give us an avenue to have more picks in 2025 to trade for 1 of those high picks.
Sorry mrp that’s highway robbery for a premiership player and potential captain.

At a minimum the deal must involve a first round pick.

I would be staggered if at pick in teens is not involved.

Reactions: 2 users
Blair needs to get aggressive and creative with our list and salary cap. Why is it every year players want to go to Carlton, Essendon and Geelong. And they don't pay overs like we do. Where are the free agents choosing us? We haven't had a free agent since Lynch. Blair has been asleep since 2019. Time for him to wake up and do something.
Asleep?, pisssed more like it.
They pisssd 25 draft picks down the drain
And have missed out on Bobby hill,

Don’t disagree with your theory but you need to also remember Lefau and Gibcus might not feature until the middle of next year. We can’t go into next season with just Balta, Lynch and Kosi as our tall options.

Going by this story Bolton wants to stay.
Picket wants another year.
As has been speculated - The Suns have interest in Rioli.
Waiting on Baker & Martin as we know.

Moneyball: Latest AFL trade and contract news on Shai Bolton​

Fremantle could offer an incredible draft package for Shai Bolton and Liam Baker – if the star Tiger is open to a move. Get all the latest trade and contract news.​

Jon Ralph, Jay Clark and Glenn McFarlane

8 min read
July 9, 2024 - 6:11PM

Shai Bolton has emphatically shut down rival interest, with his management making clear to Richmond list boss Blair Hartley he is going nowhere.
Fremantle did reach out to Bolton, as the Dockers also tried to poach Liam Baker, to declare they would offer an exceptional draft package for the pair.
Bolton has four more seasons on a deal that can see him earn as much as $1.3 million a year, and bounced back to form against the Dockers after several quiet weeks.
When the news of the Dockers’ interest broke, rival clubs also made clear they would join the race if he had any interest in jumping ship.
But 25-year-old Bolton signed on at the end of 2022 until 2028 aware that the club’s golden era might not last forever.
He will eventually end up back in Perth late in his career or post-career, but will back in coach Adem Yze.
Teammate Marlion Pickett is set to face court for a committal hearing in coming months, which could set a court date for his burglary accusations.
He is out injured with a calf concern but is due back in coming weeks.
Pickett will plead not guilty to those offences and with a court date likely to come a year or more into the future., is keen to play on next year.
Richmond has taken the view he is due proper process and has the presumption of innocence, so has allowed him to play on.
While the 32-year-old has been out injured in recent weeks, he has played 12 games this year and shown his versatility so will hope to push his claims in coming weeks.
The Tigers are sweating on decisions from Dustin Martin, Liam Baker and potentially Dan Rioli (who has interest from Gold Coast), with Adem Yze telling Fox Footy on Monday he wouldn’t mind if players told him mid-season they wanted out.
He is keen for certainty in the next 2-3 weeks for planning purposes.
“I don’t mind the NRL model where they come out and say they are leaving. It’s different and it might be a different view than we are used to,” he told AFL 360.
“I look at the players and the anxiety they have about making the decision during the season and carrying that, it’s too hard for them. Those discussions will unfold in the next 2-3 weeks and as it gets closer we will need to know. We have players considering their futures and they need to do that, and fair enough. But we can’t leave it until the end of the season. It’s in the next 2-3 weeks.”

Reactions: 4 users
Don’t disagree with your theory but you need to also remember Lefau and Gibcus might not feature until the middle of next year. We can’t go into next season with just Balta, Lynch and Kosi as our tall options.

I'm not saying that. Of those 11 that we'd still have on our list (assuming Grimes retires), we'd have Lynch, Balta, Kosi, Fawcett and Gray as forward options with Lefau to come back. Ryan is another option.

If we are to add to that list, I expect to do it via the draft and with a top end talent, rather than a MSD recruit that hasn't really looked top line at West Coast.

The point is, we only have a certain number of spots that we can give to talls, like I said we had 10 at the start of this year, even without bringing anyone else in, we will have more than that starting next year. How many is too many, as we also have to fit in mids, rucks, smalls etc. There are also only a certain number of players that can fit into the AFL / VFL setup too, so we need to consider that. No point drafting someone if there isn't room on our list to play games at either level.

Reactions: 4 users
If true, remiss of the club if they didn’t at least internally try and find out or had an idea of what they would have offered. Now before everyone jumps on and says you can’t do that to players it destroys morale/trust - what do you think players and their managers do all the time? Just saying we should leave no stone unturned looking at options to continuously move the club forward. Get the info, assess the options and make informed decisions.

Hypothetically would anyone trade next years 1st pick (most likely a very early pick)
For Cadman this year.
He hasn't set the world on fire but has had two years in the system to build his body up.
Balta would go back for starters. Cadman would be surrounded by Lynch , Lefau, Kosi or Samson Ryan. With 4-5 picks on some classy kids this year and a new medical/conditioning team ,next year May give us something to cheer about.

Hypothetically would anyone trade next years 1st pick (most likely a very early pick)
For Cadman this year.
He hasn't set the world on fire but has had two years in the system to build his body up.
Balta would go back for starters. Cadman would be surrounded by Lynch , Lefau, Kosi or Samson Ryan. With 4-5 picks on some classy kids this year and a new medical/conditioning team ,next year May give us something to cheer about.
So it would be trade Cadman for pick 1 next year.

No *smile* way.