The Blair "Which?" Project | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Blair "Which?" Project

The tide has gone out and now we can all can see the results of Matthew Clarke’s five years of bog average drafting.
The silver lining in our year of injury is that our cubs have been given heaps of opportunity.
The bad news is that most of them have been found wanting and revealed as average players in a bottom side, with limited ceiling.
This is the year we had to have, to shed the hubris and complacency.
Need to make the strong calls; stop investing in average players - turn them over and start again.
Hugo, Sonsie, Banks, Dow, Cumberland and Green look unlikely to be able to impact in a challenging side and as such are list clogger material.

And to restate the obvious, so glad we didn’t draft Sam Davidson in the mid year draft; we might have actually landed a player.
Bet he gets pinched by another club in November.

Reactions: 1 user
The tide has gone out and now we can all can see the results of Matthew Clarke’s five years of bog average drafting.
The silver lining in our year of injury is that our cubs have been given heaps of opportunity.
The bad news is that most of them have been found wanting and revealed as average players in a bottom side, with limited ceiling.
This is the year we had to have, to shed the hubris and complacency.
Need to make the strong calls; stop investing in average players - turn them over and start again.
Hugo, Sonsie, Banks, Dow, Cumberland and Green look unlikely to be able to impact in a challenging side and as such are list clogger material.

And to restate the obvious, so glad we didn’t draft Sam Davidson in the mid year draft; we might have actually landed a player.
Bet he gets pinched by another club in November.
I agree with some bits and disagree with other bits.

Agree Clarkes drafting was bog average, but we didn't have any good draft picks, thats the key point. If you're picks are middling, your drafting has to be through the roof to beat the house, which is the exception rather than the rule. It wasn't. Middling picks, average drafting, average to poor players.

Agree this was the recession we had to have, and I partially agree with the hubris and compacency. There would be a bit of that, but they're only human. Its natural. But, again, we had to have this recession more due to equalisation, salary cap and lack of early draft picks.

Another thing that doesn't really get discussed is how demanding our game style was and how long we kept it up for. We wrung everything out of all involved, and it was glorious. People wonder why Geelong have'nt bottomed out as dramatically and why their veterans last longer, they play bruise-free chip-pass possession footy on an undersized ground. Chalk and cheese.

Reactions: 11 users
Geelong have won one flag we have won 3.
Also how do you know we won't rise again and win another flag or 3?

Reactions: 3 users
Geelong have won one flag we have won 3.
Also how do you know we won't rise again and win another flag or 3?
Geelong have won 4 lost 2 GFs over 20-odd years of being thereabouts. We've won 3 (blew 1 in 18) in 10-odd years of being thereabouts.

Main List OOC
20247LiamBaker
202438NoahCumberland
202427ThomsonDow
202434JackGraham
202448SteelyGreen
20242DylanGrimes
20244DustinMartin
202433KamdynMcIntosh
202424SamNaismith
202450MarlionPickett
20243DionPrestia
202413HugoRalphsmith
202410MauriceRioli Jnr
20245JackRoss
202449KalebSmith
Delist the entire list.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
The question for me what happens from here and end of year super important. Do we go back in the wilderness for another 37 years or we act like one of the big boys ?.

Our president needs to stand up basically not existent for me , while our CEO role is a super important. Not in favour of hiring within we made that mistake previously. The footy department needs to be held accountable to Livingstone and Blair lift their game to many poor decisions of late. Super important review for me.

Not only should we use picks on kids this year we should use some on Newman/Arces Types.
Not in the best 22 but players that can help us develop
Newman is always Carlton's best players not bad for a 350k 3 yr deal.

What are people’s thoughts on Maric from the Eagles?
Gippsland Power boy. Not quite 20. 196cms. Does some good, I’ve seen him take a few nice marks. Plenty of growth in his game. Lynch could mentor him. A choice investment? Others might know more of him. But at his age, there is huge upside if he wants it badly enough. Maybe more comfortable coming home to Victoria. Contracted until the end of 2026

Blair needs to get aggressive and creative with our list and salary cap. Why is it every year players want to go to Carlton, Essendon and Geelong. And they don't pay overs like we do. Where are the free agents choosing us? We haven't had a free agent since Lynch. Blair has been asleep since 2019. Time for him to wake up and do something.

Gippsland Power boy. Not quite 20. 196cms. Does some good, I’ve seen him take a few nice marks. Plenty of growth in his game. Lynch could mentor him. A choice investment? Others might know more of him. But at his age, there is huge upside if he wants it badly enough. Maybe more comfortable coming home to Victoria. Contracted until the end of 2026
I see him as a good steak knives for the Baker deal.

Reactions: 3 users
Blair needs to get aggressive and creative with our list and salary cap. Why is it every year players want to go to Carlton, Essendon and Geelong. And they don't pay overs like we do. Where are the free agents choosing us? We haven't had a free agent since Lynch. Blair has been asleep since 2019. Time for him to wake up and do something.
Half cocked at best.

Dion, Caddy, Nank, Tommy, Timmy and Hop says that players have chosen us, in Hops case, us over geelong.
Its well documented why some players pick Geelong, surf and farms.
Prove the assertion that we pay overs and other don't. It wouldn't stand up to scrutiny. Other than Danger and cameron, see prev, they are all market value.

Finally and most imprtantly, we are currently in deep rebuild mode, we are hitting the draft, trading and FAs comes later.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
People overeating Bakers value. He's not a mid or a dangerous small fwd. He's a tough and reliable small rebounding defender.

People overeating Bakers value. He's not a mid or a dangerous small fwd. He's a tough and reliable small rebounding defender.

Yeah he's a good little player who plays football the right way.

But reckon most are going to be let down with what we get back.

Am expecting after academy, F/S and Free agency selections the pick we get will be around 15-18 or equivalent.

Yeah he's a good little player who plays football the right way.

But reckon most are going to be let down with what we get back.

Am expecting after academy, F/S and Free agency selections the pick we get will be around 15-18 or equivalent.

Yeah I think we need to forget Pick 3 (unless we are trading a Pick 7 or 8 for it and I'm not sure thats going to be worth it for us).

I suspect we might get West Coasts 2nd and their 2nd for 2025, possibly with something going back to them, maybe a 3rd or something. If its West Coast, the likelihood is if we want a 1st out of Bakes we will need to trade for it. An extra 2nd in 2025 is potentially our path to getting 1 of GC's 1sts this year as they are highly likely to be trying to move those 2 picks into 2025 so it might give us an avenue to have more picks in 2025 to trade for 1 of those high picks.

Reactions: 2 users