Team for West Coast | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Team for West Coast

NZtiger said:
I hear what some of you are saying about having Jack as a 3rd tall. I will have to agree to disagree though. While Jack could probably play well in such a role, he has far too much height (195cm?), presence and marking power to be labelled that. He will generally attract the best defender now anyway and I doubt that playing him in a pocket is likely to change that.

I agree with you that we are in trouble if he is our only avenue to goal (even though it seems to be a different issue all together), but I don't recall anyone advocating for Jack as a lone tall forward. Nobody wants a one dimensional forwardline.

Onto the issue of forwardline structure I feel that with 3 talls - even if all 3 are good at ground level as JR, Griffiths (Would throw Astbury into the mix if the coaches weren't talking about utilizing him down back) appear to be, we'd be too top heavy if that was a permanent set-up. Who do we have crumbing or keeping the ball locked in the 50 once it comes off hands? The big guys just don't have the pace or agility to play that role.
Granted, we don't have a genuine quality goal-kciking forward pocket at the moment, but we probably need a few smaller types in there to compensate for this in the near future.

I think having Jack and Griff (or Post/Astbury/TV as other options if one is out) as the tall forwards would be fine as the opposition are gonna have a big enough headache trying to double team both of them. If/when he gets back into the side in time, Taylor could slot in as a tall medium (has the attributes to play as either a tall or small) and provide another avenue to goal. If Morton can adapt to the gameplan, or Nahas run into form again and Nason gets some rest - or looking further ahead, Hicks shows that his good recent form is not temporary and RR develops the required of fitness - we might have some good options for smaller types.

The amount of running done by the midfield now means you can have three talls in the forward 50. I dont mind that plan as it is different to other set ups and the early signs are three of Jack Griffiths Astbury and Post are going to be decent long term players. A nightmare for the opposition to match up on.

Jack can do one of his long leads up to the wing to mark. Right now he turns around and has short options everywhere. If we play three talls he would then have more/better options. The midfield runners become the extra crumbers.

Nice change to have the opposition midfield chasing our guys

Can somebody please explain to me what is the problem with Polo??? He has looked one of our best this year whenever he has been on the ground.

According to news reports, Griffiths will be debuting this week! :clap

I wonder if he is any relation to Ben Griffiths who debuted two weeks ago?

wayne said:
According to news reports, Griffiths will be debuting this week! :clap

I wonder if he is any relation to Ben Griffiths who debuted two weeks ago?

Different guy apparently. Closely related top Nick Riewoldt of the Richmond Football Club.

Polo might be nursing that popping shoulder ..? I'd drop King (most kicks went nowhere or turned over last week), Nahas (was on the ground but hid in his stkilda oposition socks), Farmer (tried but didn't quite get there) and bring in Connors (form and new attitude), Griffith (taller than the small guys up forward) and Jackson (guts and ability to get it and deliver it).

5 toes on the nose said:
I'd drop King (most kicks went nowhere or turned over last week),

Bizarre. Is this sentence set up as a macro somewhere? There may be times you would say this about Jake, but last week was not one of them. In our best half-dozen comfortably...

Richmond
B: Chris Newman, Luke McGuane, Jake King
HB: Shane Tuck, Brett Deledio, Daniel Connors
C: Ben Cousins, Daniel Jackson, Shane Edwards
HF: Matt White, Jack Riewoldt, Ben Nason
F: Richard Tambling, Ben Griffiths, David Astbury
Foll: Angus Graham, Trent Cotchin, Dustin Martin
I/C (from): Mitch Farmer, Jeromey Webberley, Will Thursfield, Andrew Collins, Tyrone Vickery, Robin Nahas, Kelvin Moore

In: Moore, Jackson, Connors, Vickery, Griffiths
Out: Mitch Morton, Troy Simmonds (retired)

just_hurting said:
Richmond
B: Chris Newman, Luke McGuane, Jake King
HB: Shane Tuck, Brett Deledio, Daniel Connors
C: Ben Cousins, Daniel Jackson, Shane Edwards
HF: Matt White, Jack Riewoldt, Ben Nason
F: Richard Tambling, Ben Griffiths, David Astbury
Foll: Angus Graham, Trent Cotchin, Dustin Martin
I/C (from): Mitch Farmer, Jeromey Webberley, Will Thursfield, Andrew Collins, Tyrone Vickery, Robin Nahas, Kelvin Moore

In: Moore, Jackson, Connors, Vickery, Griffiths
Out: Mitch Morton, Troy Simmonds (retired)

Keep the chin up Barnzy!

Moore to McKinley and Lukey to Lynch is easy

Streak said:
The key to this is who is going to play on Lecras?

We have a poor history against this type of player, so stopping him is a must.

Massive matchup to get right, I've a feeling Farmer might get the gig, meaning Willy T, Webberley and probably Collins to miss

I would have preferred we gave Nason a break.
Out of the players named on the bench Vickery, Webberley, Thursfield and Collins should be in.

Moore & Thursfield named on the extended bench. Looks like that spud McGuane gets another game. :)

Where's Mitch Morton? Coburg again.

Looks like Hardwick prefers king to Farmer in the BP too.

Like the look of the forward line. :D

btoz_01 said:
I would have preferred we gave Nason a break.

Bye coming up.

Would have like Nason to get a break but no other small fwds to come in
Maybe could of given Mitch another crack for Nason

Excited that Polak is not playing eventhough he ws BOG for Coburg!
is NOT a Ruckman

Barnzy said:
How did White keep his spot? Has he got incriminating pictures?

Our small forwards struggled to have an impact last week despite Jack creating plenty of loose ball. Morton & likely Nahas have paid the price.
Will Hicks get promoted?