Team for West Coast | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Team for West Coast

CptJonno2Madcow2005 said:
Like most "Jack is a KPP"supporters you have missed the point.You are not worried that on friday night Jack kicked 6 of the 8 goals?
If you are not worried then i guess you and the club havn,t learnt from our mistakes in the past[Richo].At least Richo had the Body and reach to cope with being two teamed.

Its not a matter of being a 'JR as key forward supporter', JR is a key forward. If it looks like a duck, and walks like a duck....

Of course we all want another tall forward and we all want it to be Griff, but thats a separate issue. Reiwoldt is a key forward, by any measure, the tape measure, the form, presence, goals, marks. A real flag threat generally needs 2 key forwards, usually 1 star and 1 V Good, JR is one of them.

JR, like Richo, JB, BH, has the reach and body to cope with being 2 teamed, again, by the tape measure or the form measure. Full stop.

Again, I find all this talk very wierd. It must be simply because he looks a bit shorter than he actually is, Like Daryl White did, or Paul Salmon until late career. I really hate the expression 'get over it' but it really applies here.

The first 3 posts of this thread have 10 different players dropped.

11 players in the first 4 posts.

Read a few more and that number is 14. More than half the team!

Are people serious?

Foley, Jackson & Connors should be in purely because they are in our best 22. That's 3 changes.
Need another ruck to help Angus. That's 4 changes.

That's the musts.

Nason looks like he needs a rest, been ineffectual the last 2 games. That's 5 changes.

Other than that I think only injuries or if a player needs to be dropped to work on certain aspects of the game plan will result in a change.

But it could be a high turnover week.

Mr Pumblechook said:
The first 3 posts of this thread have 10 different players dropped.

11 players in the first 4 posts.

Read a few more and that number is 14. More than half the team!

Are people serious?

:hihi
I think it reflects a general confusion amongst Tiger fans to find a new scapegoat now that Tivendale is gone, Bowden retired and McMahon is in the seconds. A number of players have shown promise as the chief scapegoat, but none have really grabbed the title. Consequently fingers are being pointed all over the place.

Baloo said:
Foley, Jackson & Connors should be in purely because they are in our best 22. That's 3 changes.
Need another ruck to help Angus. That's 4 changes.

That's the musts.

Nason looks like he needs a rest, been ineffectual the last 2 games. That's 5 changes.

Other than that I think only injuries or if a player needs to be dropped to work on certain aspects of the game plan will result in a change.

But it could be a high turnover week.

Don't think Nason out makes it 5 - he'll just go out for one of the guys you have listed coming in. Also Nason did kick 3 against Port so a bit Harsh saying he's been ineffectual last 2 weeks but I agree it is a good time for him to have a rest.

Fair points.

On his 3 against Port he seemed to be on the end of some good play as opposed to being in the thick of it.

I like Nason but he hasn't had the same involvement in matches these last couple of weeks. Not knocking the kid, to have played every game of the seniors so far in his first year is bloody good. He could do with a rest.

I hear what some of you are saying about having Jack as a 3rd tall. I will have to agree to disagree though. While Jack could probably play well in such a role, he has far too much height (195cm?), presence and marking power to be labelled that. He will generally attract the best defender now anyway and I doubt that playing him in a pocket is likely to change that.

CptJonno2Madcow2005 said:
Like most "Jack is a KPP"supporters you have missed the point.You are not worried that on friday night Jack kicked 6 of the 8 goals?
If you are not worried then i guess you and the club havn,t learnt from our mistakes in the past[Richo].At least Richo had the Body and reach to cope with being two teamed.

I agree with you that we are in trouble if he is our only avenue to goal (even though it seems to be a different issue all together), but I don't recall anyone advocating for Jack as a lone tall forward. Nobody wants a one dimensional forwardline.

Onto the issue of forwardline structure I feel that with 3 talls - even if all 3 are good at ground level as JR, Griffiths (Would throw Astbury into the mix if the coaches weren't talking about utilizing him down back) appear to be, we'd be too top heavy if that was a permanent set-up. Who do we have crumbing or keeping the ball locked in the 50 once it comes off hands? The big guys just don't have the pace or agility to play that role.
Granted, we don't have a genuine quality goal-kciking forward pocket at the moment, but we probably need a few smaller types in there to compensate for this in the near future.

I think having Jack and Griff (or Post/Astbury/TV as other options if one is out) as the tall forwards would be fine as the opposition are gonna have a big enough headache trying to double team both of them. If/when he gets back into the side in time, Taylor could slot in as a tall medium (has the attributes to play as either a tall or small) and provide another avenue to goal. If Morton can adapt to the gameplan, or Nahas run into form again and Nason gets some rest - or looking further ahead, Hicks shows that his good recent form is not temporary and RR develops the required of fitness - we might have some good options for smaller types.

NZtiger said:
I agree with you that we are in trouble if he is our only avenue to goal (even though it seems to be a different issue all together), but I don't recall anyone advocating for Jack as a lone tall forward. Nobody wants a one dimensional forwardline.

No doubt West Coast took very close notice of our choked avenues to goal on Friday (and why)... Jack has effectively come from nowhere, slightly underestimated and is having a purple pactch, but now.. well every other team has now taken notice that we've become slightly over dependent - and the only way we kick more than 7 goals a match is if Jack kicks a few extra.

I absolutely loved seeing JR whip up the crowd (me included) against the Saints.. but he'll attract more attention now and we'll kick (even) less goals as a result. Anyone know where the other match-winning volume of goals might come from?

momentai said:
Looking at this again following Coburgs result today, I think we should do it differently particularly against Niknat and Cox. We can only hope to limit these two and I think the weight and size of Browne may be the key. Gourdis and Connors should be given their chance and Polak rather than Mcguane on the resting ruckman.

In Browne Polak Connors Foley Gourdis Griffiths Jackson Moore and Rance, just the lazy 9 changes.
Out Collins, Edwards, Farmer, Mcguane, Morton, Nahas, Nason, Simmonds and Thursfield.

B Polak Gourdis Newman, (now in career best form).
HB Deledio Moore King
C Connors Cotchin Martin
HF Cousins Griffiths Tambling
F Tuck Riewoldt Rance
R Browne Jackson Foley
Res Astbury Graham Webberly White = more of a rotation really. :p

Wow talk about top heavy. 6 talls in for 3 talls out? 3 in defence, 3 forward, 1 in ruck and 2 on the bench? I don't think so.

AstroboyUK said:
No doubt West Coast took very close notice of our choked avenues to goal on Friday (and why)... Jack has effectively come from nowhere, slightly underestimated and is having a purple pactch, but now.. well every other team has now taken notice that we've become slightly over dependent - and the only way we kick more than 7 goals a match is if Jack kicks a few extra.

I absolutely loved seeing JR whip up the crowd (me included) against the Saints.. but he'll attract more attention now and we'll kick (even) less goals as a result. Anyone know where the other match-winning volume of goals might come from?

This year. Once we get better, slicker through the midfield and into the forward line, Jack'll kick more, and we'll kick more.

Harry said:
Over the next few weeks -

In - Foley, Connors, Post, Griffiths, Moore, Jackson, Browne, Gourdis
Out - Farmer, Nason, Simmons, Nahas, McGuane, Tuck, Collins, white

B......Newman........Gourdis.........Tambling
HB....Connors.........Astbury........Moore
C......Cousins.........Deledio.........Martin
HF....Edwards.........Post............Morton
F......Riewoldt.........Griffiths.......King
R......Graham..........Cotchin.......Foley
Int ...Browne.....Jackson....Webberly....Thursfield

I mostly agree, with a couple of changes

Out of this side: KING, Moreton, Astbury
In to this side: POLO, Collins, Tuck

My reasoning for the outs: King is only a good VFL player, Moreton is lazy and out of form, Astbury is really green and needs development in VFL
Ins: Polo is one of the few players who could have stopped Goddard, Collins is coming on, Tuck is in our best 22 ATM IMO.

I would also reckon Nason is fractionally ahead of Web at this stage, but agree he could use a rest. Also if Gourdis is all at sea, Im happy for McGuane to hold the fort. I dont reckon it will hurt Vickerys development to play half a season in the VFL either.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/96045/default.aspx

Certainities to come in this week are Connors, Griffiths and Jackson.

Foley I doubt we will see until after the mid season break.

tigergollywog said:
I mostly agree, with a couple of changes

Out of this side: KING, Moreton, Astbury
In to this side: POLO, Collins, Tuck

My reasoning for the outs: King is only a good VFL player, Moreton is lazy and out of form, Astbury is really green and needs development in VFL
Ins: Polo is one of the few players who could have stopped Goddard, Collins is coming on, Tuck is in our best 22 ATM IMO.

I would also reckon Nason is fractionally ahead of Web at this stage, but agree he could use a rest. Also if Gourdis is all at sea, Im happy for McGuane to hold the fort. I dont reckon it will hurt Vickerys development to play half a season in the VFL either.

Spare me Polo ffs, its a joke surely Polos future doesnt lay at the RFC clogging the list, hes a monty for a role at the local punch and judy show.

Agree that Griffiths, Jackson and Connors will be likely inclusions.

Plenty more deserving of being omitted from last week than deserving promotion. Foleys lack of availability will save one of , Nahas or Nason this week and White plainly should just never play again but thats my opinion he is is a first class deficient dud.

Nahas was disgrace last week and i still dont rate him or understand the lauding he gets here, Nason might be due for a spell after 11 weeks.

craig said:
Nahas was disgrace last week and i still dont rate him or understand the lauding he gets here, Nason might be due for a spell after 11 weeks.
Long term both players should be looking for another home.
Nahas would be good trade bait before his value goes down..
After all we got him for next to nothing. Maybe a 3rd or 4th round pick.

craig said:
Spare me Polo ffs, its a joke surely Polos future doesnt lay at the RFC clogging the list, hes a monty for a role at the local punch and judy show.

It really baffles me why Polo is so out of favour. Ive seen him hold his own on some of the best players in the comp (Goodes) in a run-with role. I just dont get it?

Tigermad2005 said:
Long term both players should be looking for another home.
Nahas would be good trade bait before his value goes down..
After all we got him for next to nothing. Maybe a 3rd or 4th round pick.

Tell me why Nason should be looking for another home? He has shown a heap this year, his work rate is first rate and when he puts some weight on he will be a good player for us and part of our future