Tambling (merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tambling (merged)

Streak said:
Seems churlish to me that people are considering anything other than the positives of Richie's career on his retirement.

It might not have reached the expected heights, but he managed over 100 games of AFL footy.

He should be proud of what he achieved.

Good on you Bling, and thanks for your efforts.

Krakour got to a 100 too, (doesn't say much of the talent pool during those years)

Shame we won't have a VFL reserves side playing next year - could have had Tambling and Krakouer having a run in the magoos.

Streak said:
Good on you Bling, and thanks for your efforts.

Yeah, agree. Somehow I think he would've been a different player if he was picked up at 24 instead of 4.

RICHO_12 said:
This is getting really old but the Dawks tried to force our hand by taking a Rough knowing we needed a tall and would be stuck with the Bud...... They were flat when we picked Richie at the time

That's my memory of the time as well. Hawthorn were after Tambling and Roughead knowing we'd go Lids at 1. Their strategy was to select Roughead at 2 (knowing we were going to get him at 4) and hope we'd go Franklin at 4 leaving Tambling for them at 5. It's far from an exact science even when you've got a well funded recruiting department, let alone one on a shoe-string budget!!

For all the crap Richmond copped at the 2004 ND, the Doggies kissed goodbye the 2009 flag by going Griffin at 3. Buddy would've been the difference in 2009 - not much made of that one.

tiger12 said:
Yeah, agree. Somehow I think he would've been a different player if he was picked up at 24 instead of 4.

No, he would of been a better player had he been dropped and made to work for his games early on, but our list was rubbish and he kept playing. It was too easy for him.

tiger12 said:
For all the crap Richmond copped at the 2004 ND, the Doggies kissed goodbye the 2009 flag by going Griffin at 3. Buddy would've been the difference in 2009 - not much made of that one.

I have often wondered and never worked out why the press didn't run this either

Regarding Buddy and Hawthorn, I clearly remember Dermie making up a story about how the Hawks knew all along he was going to be a superstar.

He reckons that the Hawks wanted to trade their first pick to the Eagles for Judd, and they saw it as a win win for both clubs.

Funny how all these people seemed to know Buddy was going to be a superstar, yet at the time I can't recall him getting more than normal press about his potential.

800 anniversary up, well done all, lets put our heads down and motor on to 900.

Streak said:
Regarding Buddy and Hawthorn, I clearly remember Dermie making up a story about how the Hawks knew all along he was going to be a superstar.

He reckons that the Hawks wanted to trade their first pick to the Eagles for Judd, and they saw it as a win win for both clubs.

Funny how all these people seemed to know Buddy was going to be a superstar, yet at the time I can't recall him getting more than normal press about his potential.

yea dermies great at rewriting history

If they thought he was that good, they would never have allowed two other clubs to have a free swing at him.

Anyways the way I see it

Elton+McBean + INdigenous Centre >>>> Blake Acres

who knows, history may show that in its totallity Tambling and Buddy may be closer than they look. 2 premierships to Buddy will make it tough though

nikolasmia said:
Elton+McBean + INdigenous Centre >>>> Blake Acres

Elton & McIntosh are direct descendants of the Tambling trade, Hawthorn also got McEvoy from the Franklin compo, and picked up Billy Hartung with a downgraded pick.

Legends of 1980 said:
Richmond sells papers, bulldogs don't. Plus, where would all the fun be for the press if they couldn't kick us?

Griffen is the Dogs best player now, that's why there's nothing made of it. Why don't we get heat for Deledio? Because he has justified the pick.

Tambling was a balls up at 4 whether Franklin was available or not.

IrockZ said:
Griffen is the Dogs best player now, that's why there's nothing made of it. Why don't we get heat for Deledio? Because he has justified the pick.

Tambling was a balls up at 4 whether Franklin was available or not.

Sure but had Tambling been a gun he, may have have elevated our position on the ladder meaning we never had picked up Reivoldt, or Martin or Vickery or Conca and so on. The flow on could have been disastrous so let's cut him some slack and recognise that in some small part he has contributed to the current list.

rinso17 said:
Sure but had Tambling been a gun he, may have have elevated our position on the ladder meaning we never had picked up Reivoldt, or Martin or Vickery or Conca and so on. The flow on could have been disastrous so let's cut him some slack and recognise that in some small part he has contributed to the current list.

Good guy Tambling.

rinso17 said:

Every cloud has a silver lining - like it.

rinso17 said:

Good call, and the same would have applied if we got Franklin.

He wouldn`t have won a flag with us but would have helped us climb a few spots on the ladder each year meaning we would have missed out on Cotch and co.