Tambling (merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tambling (merged)

Panthera tigris FC said:
RFC aren't the only club that would have made that mistake at the time. Hindsight being 20/20 and all that.

Dead on Panthera.

We could have done that draft 1,000 times and if we had the choice between Franklin or Tambling at pick 4 we would have picked Tambling every time. We are all genuis' in hindsight.

Tigertool said:
Dead on Panthera.

We could have done that draft 1,000 times and if we had the choice between Franklin or Tambling at pick 4 we would have picked Tambling every time. We are all genuis' in hindsight.

Sorry, but no.
It was really dumb then and its even dumber today.
You don't get picks 1 and 4 every year and most clubs would have worked out that a gun mid and a gun key tall might be the way to go.
Richmond were a rabble and got pantsed by a more professional club.

17 said:
Sorry, but no.
You don't get picks 1 and 4 every year and most clubs would have worked out that a gun mid and a gun key tall might be the way to go.

That was how it was to play out.

We pick Deledio at 1 and Roughead at 4, and Hawthorn were to pick Tambling and Franklin. Tambling was considered by some as a very worthy pick 1, just go back and read the first few pages of this thread. If it wasn't for Clarkson's emphasis on recruiting two talls we would have Roughead right now. We were never ever, ever, ever going to pick Franklin. It was always going to be whoever was left out of Tambling or Roughead.

We were left with Tambling.

I hope the next time this thread is dragged back from the dead is when Richie's 6'7" twin tower sons are drafted father-son to us.

bullus_hit said:
What did we receive for Nahas and what did we receive for Tambling? I think that's a pretty good indidcator of their footballing ability.

IrockZ said:
Adelaide also traded for Angus Graham - enough said.

Also when Adelaide traded for Tambling and Graham, the view was Richmond can`t develop players.

So Adelaide would have been willing to give up more to gain a bloke who went at number 4 in the draft, believing that he must have huge talent and Richmond are crap at developing players and we (Adelaide) are so much more superior.

17 said:
Sorry, but no.

Why did Hawthorn go 2 Key talls then?

Why did Hawthorn have Tambling stay at Gary Buckenara`s house in the week of the draft?

This is getting really old but the Dawks tried to force our hand by taking a Rough knowing we needed a tall and would be stuck with the Bud...... They were flat when we picked Richie at the time

You know, with the way we were travelling at the time plus Franklin's rep & apparently poor interviews it probably would have been dumber to pick Franklin.

This is without the 20/20 hindsight that all possess!

wayne said:
I wonder who we would have ended up with at 4 if we picked Tambling at 1.

Would Hawthorn still have taken 2 talls?

Interesting idea. I think the Hawks still would have gone two talls, but maybe WB may not have picked Griffen and gone with Deledio?

puntrd64 said:
Terry Wallace must have really hated us. Tambling and Jordan McMahon are stand out examples of weedy footballers who would NEVER have made RFC competitive. Of course Tambling should always be remembered as having been selected before Franklin as a HUGE mistake by RFC.

when he signed on to coach he said that he had unfinished business with Richmond
I hope we're square now

DirtyDogTiger said:
when he signed on to coach he said that he had unfinished business with Richmond
I hope we're square now

no DDT, we still owe Plough about 10000000 pages of vitriol and derision. Even then, he'll of gotten off lightly.

17 said:
Sorry, but no.

Tenacious said:
Presumably you called it "dumb" immediately after he was drafted then?

17 said:

It seems most others have only reached that conclusion with the benefit of hindsight - unlike yourself.
So congratulations as you've been proven to be on the money with this one.

Seems churlish to me that people are considering anything other than the positives of Richie's career on his retirement.

It might not have reached the expected heights, but he managed over 100 games of AFL footy.

He should be proud of what he achieved.

Good on you Bling, and thanks for your efforts.