Tambling (merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tambling (merged)

I hate the Richmond supporter/Franklin cop out. For whatever reason Richie didn't quite perform as expected. I felt, rightly or wrongly, that he had the talent to be a lot better than he was. His words on leaving Richmond were disappointing but he didn't exactly back them up by starring at Adelaide. I wish he was in his prime now, playing to the potential we thought he had, and helping us win our next premiership. Alas not to be. A nice bloke and I wish him all the best.

I hope he can get back to playing good enjoyable footy at his club and get on with life. His AFL adventure didn't go as well as we hoped but good luck to him.

IrockZ said:
Disagree, don't think his best was every really that good. I think Nahas was more of a match winner at his best.

What did we receive for Nahas and what did we receive for Tambling? I think that's a pretty good indidcator of their footballing ability.

Leysy Days said:
Neither had much ability.

2009 was a good year for Tambling, just a shame he didn't build on it. As for ability, I disagree, Richie's problems were mainly between the ears, he lacked a killer instinct which separates the men from the boys.

bullus_hit said:
2009 was a good year for Tambling, just a shame he didn't build on it. As for ability, I disagree, Richie's problems were mainly between the ears, he lacked a killer instinct which separates the men from the boys.

Agree. Saw him kick four goals in a qtr against a pretty good West Coast side & a pretty special last half against Freo over there - just to name two.

tigertime2 said:
come to think of it two of the biggest drafting busts in AFL history belong to Richmond and they are both named Richard ;D

There have plenty of drafting busts that were worse than Richie. He did play over a hundred games. Quite a few of those were underwhelming I know, but he did play a few good ones, and even put a pretty good season together. Not all top 5 picks can say that.

bullus_hit said:

He also panicked in close, had no idea how/when/where to run (vital) & had the vision of leysy stumbling home from the London after a Tiger win.

Never ever understood the fan boi's for him on here during his duration with us, never understood Adelaide's overrating of him & certainly couldn't comprehend those that said trading him would bite us.

Poor, limited footballer who was overrated from playing only Div 2 at under 18 lvl. From day 1.

Leysy Days said:
He also panicked in close, had no idea how/when/where to run (vital) & had the vision of leysy stumbling home from the London after a Tiger win.

Never ever understood the fan boi's for him on here during his duration with us, never understood Adelaide's overrating of him & certainly couldn't comprehend those that said trading him would bite us.

Poor, limited footballer who was overrated from playing only Div 2 at under 18 lvl. From day 1.

I'll agree that he had no inside game, probably best suited to a rebounding defenders role, but he still had some impressive dash about him. In reality, if he had originally been picked up at pick 12 or 16, he would have been remembered in a much brighter light.

Having coached junior basket ball you notice the kids who don't want the ball.They run up and down the court making damn sure that they run in the crowd so that when they call for the ball nobody will pass it to them. They still got a sweat up
,they still called for it. But nobody would pass it to them because the ball mostly tries to avoid a crowd. When the other team had the ball typically the kids who lacked confidence, understanding or simply secretly did not want the ball would pick up players that also would not go near the ball.

Good players that want the ball know that when we have the ball. Find space. When they have the ball. Find an opponent.
A good opponent if possible.

I sat up high in the Southern stand and focused all game on Richie during a game when we got flogged by Footscray and that's exactly what Richie did. He ran hard all game only leaving the pelleton to gain the easiest of posies behind the ball or to an area where the ball was never going to go.

With very few exceptions his whole career followed this way

bullus_hit said:
What did we receive for Nahas and what did we receive for Tambling? I think that's a pretty good indidcator of their footballing ability.

Adelaide also traded for Angus Graham - enough said.

I still think Nahas played better games.

Leysy Days said:

Spot on. Watching a class act like Rioli compared to Tambling is night and day. Talent wasn't as big as many think.

It Wasn't his fault he was selected above buddy,
He wasn't the 1st flop selection in a draft and won't be the last
But when he was traded off to Adelaide and they had footage of him hugging Adam goodes and carrying on like he won tatts,
That's when he burnt a lot of the army.

Terry Wallace must have really hated us. Tambling and Jordan McMahon are stand out examples of weedy footballers who would NEVER have made RFC competitive. Of course Tambling should always be remembered as having been selected before Franklin as a HUGE mistake by RFC.

puntrd64 said:
Terry Wallace must have really hated us. Tambling and Jordan McMahon are stand out examples of weedy footballers who would NEVER have made RFC competitive. Of course Tambling should always be remembered as having been selected before Franklin as a HUGE mistake by RFC.

RFC aren't the only club that would have made that mistake at the time. Hindsight being 20/20 and all that.

I remember being ecstatic that we secured Lids and Bling at the time. It just turned out that Bling couldn't cut it at the top level. So be it. Time to move on.

Best of luck Richie.