Tambling (merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tambling (merged)

Yeah but we are all guilty of it. I badly wanted Tom Hislop in that original draft year. We later got him and I soon wished we hadn't......

Surely the very first post has it all for irony, if not tragedy ...

nut said:
Pick one Please.

If we dont than we will be the laughing stock of the AFL until he retires. I'm so sure he is the best available. With out a doubt.

The worst thing is if we dont take him he'll end up at the Hawks. Which will really Pi$$ me OFF.

Miller Pick Tambling, from what I've heard ( from the mouth of Maurice rioli), and what Ive seen he is the real deal. Probably the best thing to came out of the NT. Which says alot about how good he is. ( Rioli,Buckley, Long, White, D.Rioli.......) Got nothing on him.

Please. I begg.

I'm sick of Bigfooty, always to Busy.

trawling through this thread is about as enjoyable, and productive, as walking down the main drag of The Congo and tongue kissing a bloke with Ebola.

Streak said:
Regarding Buddy and Hawthorn, I clearly remember Dermie making up a story about how the Hawks knew all along he was going to be a superstar.

He reckons that the Hawks wanted to trade their first pick to the Eagles for Judd, and they saw it as a win win for both clubs.

Funny how all these people seemed to know Buddy was going to be a superstar, yet at the time I can't recall him getting more than normal press about his potential.

Not sure about that. He was generally considered the best player in the draft (and there was a truck load of press about him), but there was a question about his attitude and that is why he fell down a bit. We needed a tall in that draft BADLY and while I am sure everyone was excited with Tambling and Lids (including me) even at the time I think many were wondering how many more opportunities we would get to replace Richo. We got Jack in the end, which was lucky.

Has there been a player in the modern draft era that recruiters, junior watchers, pundits and internet hacks got so completely and utterly wrong more than RT?

RT could play
First pre season game lids spots RT who runs inside 50 and scores a goal
We were all on our feet. It was the false dawn of a new golden age

To be honest our club was a basket case when RT was drafted. If Geelong took RT he'd probably still be playing and going alright. God knows how many good junior careers we ruined. Coughlan springs to mind due to incompetent injury management. One of the best tigers I've seen

hutstar said:
Not sure about that. He was generally considered the best player in the draft (and there was a truck load of press about him), but there was a question about his attitude and that is why he fell down a bit. We needed a tall in that draft BADLY and while I am sure everyone was excited with Tambling and Lids (including me) even at the time I think many were wondering how many more opportunities we would get to replace Richo. We got Jack in the end, which was lucky.

My point though Hutstar, was that if the Hawks knew he was going to be so good that they tried to trade their pick to get Judd from the Eagles, why then would they risk not grabbing him first opportunity. You could argue that it was a calculated move that paid off for sure. But at the same time, Dermie was linking Buddy's talent with Judd's, and it was Dermie who was saying the Hawks knew he was going to be a superstar. You are talking a once in a generation level of talent. It doesn't wash with me that you would pass on a talent you think is that level at anytime in a draft. So I rekon Dermie is full of it.

FWIW, there was no doubting Buddy's ability, but in WA most football experts were wary of what came with the rest of the package. The Eagles were not overly interested, certainly not enough to trade up for the pick. I can't comment on the press about Buddy in the Eastern States, but here in WA it wasn't anything out of the ordinary.

I have posted this story before, but I find it topical when it comes to drafting. Mike Shanahan, coach of the Denver Broncos, was being interviewed about the drafting of Terrell Davis in the 6th round of the NFL draft. Davis was a phenomenal running back, winning both a season and Superbowl MVP. At the time of the interview, Davis was probably one of the best 5 players in the league. The interviewer basically made the comment that the Broncos were really smart leaving him until the 6th round. Shanhan's response was that if they were so smart, why did they leave him until the 6th round.

Isn't there a statute of limitations when it comes to digging up old posts ? Hardly fair on those of us who kept the same username over the years instead of changing and creating new ones whenever proven to be wrong.

There was no one individual factor affected Tambling during his footy career.
A list of these makes interesting reading, though these are from memory.

1. Identified as talented junior at U16 level, 2002.
2. Has an exciting first U18 season, 2003.
3. Recovers from back injury to have an exciting U18 National Champs, 2004.
4. Drafted by Richmond, 2004.
5. Arrives in Melbourne at 17yo with pregnant girlfriend, 2004.
6. Overcooked in first preseason and season, with back and hamstring soreness affecting season, 2005.
7. Takes on duties as first time father at 18yo, 2005.

From there, it becomes a case of a talented junior, injured early, who suffers from being drafted at a club with poor junior development.
No doubt, he suffered from the comparisons between himself and Franklin.

My reflection on Tambling is that we took a talented junior at no.4, who succeeded in playing 100 games with us, despite poor junior development at our club.
And certainly much better than our 2005 choices.
There were many other juniors taken by other AFL clubs in the early 2Ks that never got to play a single game of AFL.

The lesson we learn from drafting Tambling is that relocating interstate juniors is an extremely risky business, especially when you don't have the necessary developmental systems in place.
To me, early draft picks are best used on those with a strong, disciplined 3 to 4 years in a state-based competition, ideally the TAC.

I hope all is well in Tambling's life.

Dermie is dreaming with his comments about knowing the talents of Buddy Franklin. They may have known them, but they weren't sold on them.

About mid year Franklin was all the rage but his stocks fell as he racked up some inconsistent performances. In the championships he got towelled up by Dean Polo raising more question marks. He had really good performances, but he was having really bad ones too, and a few of these came in the championships, so his stocks fell slightly.

The Hawks called for extra time on the buddy selection before eventually selecting him, and the player they were tossing up was Tom Williams who then went to the Dogs. Williams stocks rose late after performing well in the testing , apparently particularly the strength tests. This was another area that Buddy really struggled, in the strength tests with a bench press result that apparently your 6 yr old niece could have matched.

As it turns out, Buddy was a great selection so good on the Hawks, but Dermie might be trying to re-write history.

As we all know this has all been done to death, but we were very keen on Roughy an the selections were set in concrete that he had been invited to the shindig at Ccs little shack. The one thing that never gets mentioned is Dermie interviewed Roughy on radio the week off the draft an was thrilled by him, I reckon that interview caused the Hawks Saturday morning panic meeting, it wasn't to get Buddy it was to not mss out on who they believed was the best big man of the draft..fact is Hawks got lucky in a deplorable draft...take picks 1,4 12,16, an 20 in any other draft an you would do pretty good , we got lids an that is it, even picks around our picks were flops. Met RT many times an always thought he was a polite, quality young man, yep he had some talent, but nowhere near the hype, IMHO I thnk Richie is just one of many kids who simply didn't want it bad enough, I think it was just a job for him an didn't posses the real passion an love for the game that's needed

ToraToraTora said:
Has there been a player in the modern draft era that recruiters, junior watchers, pundits and internet hacks got so completely and utterly wrong more than RT?

I would suggest that Melbourne's three selections with pick 1 in 2008 (Jack Watts) and the two in 2009 (Trengove and Scully) have been equally underwhelming so far. And as mentioned in the last post, development is the key. All of those Demon picks were hyped up by all and sundry, and Watts now, into his sixth season is still yet to grab games by the scruff of the neck and have a genuine influence. Scully left after two years to GWS for that huge offer, and Trengove is out for the year with a navicular, having been very pedestrian for a season or two. I think if any other club (and the Tigers have been very good with recent 1st round picks since JR in 2006) had those picks those players now would be almost the core of the side with likely 100 games of experience, as an example, Beams, Duncan and Christensen were picked much later in 2009.

It's funny how the footy Gods work.

Carlton tanked to get Kruiser and Judd into the club. We had to settle for Trent Cotchin.

Melbourne tanked and got Scully and Trengrove, we had to settle for Dustin Martin.

FRIGINNNN YEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

As for Jack Watts, i don't care how well he goes as an outside wingman. They didnt use their first pick to secure an outside wingman. As a result they've missed out on Nic Nat who is stinking it up a little bit at the moment anyway.

A few drafts back, the question was whether they'd keep best mates Viney and Ollie Wines together. They decided against Wines and went with Jimmy Toumpas. Toumpas will probably be a very handy footballer (if the Dees can't do their best to wreck him). But geez he's a long way behind Ollie Wines already.

On a side note, they manage to pick up a diamond from the rough in Liam Patrick, whose athletic ability seemed to show he was capable of anything. Although consistency wasn't his strongest suit, he was still capable of turning games and doing it regularly. So what do the Demons do with this Indigenous footballer who doesn't touch grog? They take him on an end of season trip to LA and ply him with as much alcohol as his body could take. He comes back to Oz, goes home and the rest as they say in the classics, is history!

Phantom said:
To me, early draft picks are best used on those with a strong, disciplined 3 to 4 years in a state-based competition, ideally the TAC.

The club recruiters must agree phantom

Since bling and Oakley Nicholls

Riewoldt (Tas)
Cotchin (TAC)
Vickery (TAC)
Martin (TAC)
Conca (WA)
Ellis (TAC)
Vlastuin (TAC)
Lennon (TAC)

Luck does play it's part not only in the injury department but in the draft department.

So we had Roughie but the Hawks hyena-ed him from us?

Seagulled him from us the pricks.

Didn't Essendon have a habit of branding players to make them go to Essendon?

DirtyDogTiger said:
RT could play
First pre season game lids spots RT who runs inside 50 and scores a goal

I was at the practice match at Victoria Park watching the boom recruit Tambling have his first run with the team and I saw a kid that was missing easy set shots 35-40 out from goal. I was immediately under-whelmed by the lack of apparent skill to match the massive hype we had made over this recruit, and realised that he would have to really improve to make it as an AFL level player.

Then after hearing year after year after bloody year about how well Tambling had gone in the pre-season from the club - including from some "insiders" - and then being let down continually by the performances displayed during the actual season I again had my suspicion confirmed that some of these people wouldn't know a decent footballer if he crashed his car into their front yards - and they were still making crucial decisions at Richmond.

Continually gifting games to a player and making overblown claims about his abilities does not serve the player or the club well, doing it basically because he was a first round draft pick and it would be too embarrassing to admit that they had got the choice wrong makes it even worse - just look at Vickery, our current Tambling.

Baloo said:
Isn't there a statute of limitations when it comes to digging up old posts ? Hardly fair on those of us who kept the same username over the years instead of changing and creating new ones whenever proven to be wrong.

That made me check who brought up the thread.