Should Daniel Rioli be given the number 17 this year? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Should Daniel Rioli be given the number 17 this year?

Should Daniel Rioli be given the number 17 this year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Harry said:
Earning your number is a stupid policy.

that it may be, but it is still club policy. I don't think its a massive issue, but it does feel like he has been given preferential treatment. while I do acknowledge the history, it does place a little bit of added pressure on the kid. it wouldn't have killed the club to hold out for 1 year.

A number is just that, a number, but some numbers mean something because of their history. Number 17 is iconic because of the great Jack Dyer but also for Maurice Rioli who was an out and out star from the day he donned that guernsey. To give it to a member of his family is a great thing and should be embraced.

I am sure the players are embracing it.

I am excited, a Rioli in 17...FANTASTIC

Tigers of Old said:
Exactly Sin. So should Tiger all supporters.

Why should all Tiger supporters embrace it? I couldn't care less about what numbers players wear. I don't find Daniel wearing his uncle's number anywhere near embraceable. No more than any other players' numbers. I'll support and judge them as players rather than what is on their backs. I certainly hope Daniel lives up to the hype for his sake.

Who cares what number he has. I think all players should stay with th number they are given from day one at the club until the end.

rosy23 said:
Why should all Tiger supporters embrace it? I couldn't care less about what numbers players wear. I don't find Daniel wearing his uncle's number anywhere near embraceable. No more than any other players' numbers. I'll support and judge them as players rather than what is on their backs. I certainly hope Daniel lives up to the hype for his sake.

Speaking of numbers, you went from Rosy3 for Dunc to Rosy23 for Jacko.....so who is next? Back to Rosy3 for Lids? ;D

TigerForce said:
Speaking of numbers, you went from Rosy3 for Dunc to Rosy23 for Jacko.....so who is next? Back to Rosy3 for Lids? ;D

No change. I have the 3 for all of them already. I never got rid of the 3 for Dunc. Just added to it.

Tigertough1974 said:
Its a silly thread really as theres zero chance of him being in 17 next year;

1 - first year player
2- Have Maurice jnr coming through in 2018 i believe

Whoops :hihi

rosy23 said:
No change. I have the 3 for all of them already. I never got rid of the 3 for Dunc. Just added to it.

Well, Lambo's got 23 now so he'll get your full support too. ;D

TigerForce said:
Well, Lambo's got 23 now so he'll get your full support too. ;D

All players who give their all for the Tiges have my support.

Daniel Rioli is our #1 draft pick for 2015.
The club selected him on the basis he would be around for the next 12 years or so.
The Rioli name is synonymous with #17 thanks to an absolute superstar in Maurice.
Kinda makes sense to give him the number now rather that wait 1 year don't you think?
The "make kids earn their lower number" policy wasn't a policy as such but rather just a Dimma thought bubble anyway, a bit like his statement that under his watch we wouldn't recruit players that couldn't kick.
I loved Maurice, am obviously keen on the # 17 :), and like many others am embracing the feel good factor of having another Rioli at our club wearing the #17.
He's clearly got some confidence, so I don't think the additional "pressure" that some are worried about will be an issue.
It's up to the football department to give him time to find his feet and get the body AFL ready before they produce him.

Hope he makes the number his own.
Hope we all don't make comparisons with Maurice because he wears that number.
Let him carve out his own career at Tigerland.
Personally was not fussed with what number he got.

P.S. Maurice was the best player I've seen for the yellow and black in the limited time we all saw him.

rosy23 said:

Same with the colours. Who gives a stuff about yellow & black !!

Let it be people.We all love Richmond and it's players.Let's not eat our own over a number.
World going madder by the week.

smasha said:
Let it be people.We all love Richmond and it's players.Lets not eat our own over a numbr.
World going madddr by the week.

It's quite amusing really. As I said each to their own. The world and PRE is a little madder each week.

Tommy Roach. I don't think the logic is the same (ie: Rioli looks to be a player, not sure that Roach ever did) but I see no benefit other than some temporary marketing buzz in giving a player their legendary forefather's number.
I like kids having to earn the low numbers because it makes it clear; they have to prove themselves, no matter who they are or what they have done to this point. I don't want to overstate it, but what message does this send? It isn't a good look IMO, though it won't matter if the kid keeps his head down and does well.