Should Daniel Rioli be given the number 17 this year? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Should Daniel Rioli be given the number 17 this year?

Should Daniel Rioli be given the number 17 this year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
WesternTiger said:
For some they have to earn it for others it might be a birth right. Either way I am not sure how Astbury got number 12.
More question on how Dea got 7.

Platinum member said:
I'm actually a bit the opposite... It was a bit of a manufactured 'tradition' to me...

Yep, it had loopholes. Nathan Gordon gets 22 in 1 season and is now delisted. Is Lambert from 48 to 23 in 1 season correct to do?

Just give the kid #17

I really dont see whats so special about #17 , Sure it was captain bloods number but we have had so many greats like Sheedy,Bartlett,Hart,Richo etc etc that to me the #17 is just another number in the teens now.

When you know you have a 10 year player give him the number he will have his entire career

Looks like Cellis is stuck with #32

I'm happy if they give him 17 straight up, he's a 1st rounder, it shows confidence

and it will save lotsa kids lotsa pocket money.

Im a bit of a numbers person and do like certain numbers on certain players so i would give Daniel Rioli the option to select which number he wanted to wear

I always like single digit numbers so thats out of the question as there are none available until we off load grigg
I also like Doubles like 11,22,33,44

If i was Daniel Rioli it would be out of #17 (if he wanted MR number) or 22, 44
I'd Probably select #22 (Cyril is #33)

If young Rioli believes he can handle the history associated with #17 then I am all for him donning this numbered guernsey.
Imagine #17 from RFC being the Norm Smith medallist ... as hoping it is in a premiership team.

Why not? It's all about the romance...every year 17 teams don't win a flag, but concepts like this keep us interested.

ThePercies said:
If he gets 17 then I guess it has. I love the idea of the younger players having to earn the right to higher playing number.
The idea was they had to earn the right to have lower (mathematically) numbers.

CarnTheTiges said:
I can't remember Astbury's original number, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't 12. I remember there being a bit of a fuss about it, because it was Richo's number. I used to place importance on the numbers, but now I really don't care what number is on someone's back just as long as they play well while wearing it.

Pretty sure he started with 12. Richo presented him his jumper on debut.

I voted no. I support the idea of players having to earn the right to wear lower numbers or iconic numbers like 17, 5 29, 30 etc..

YinnarTiger said:
The idea was they had to earn the right to have lower (mathematically) numbers.

Pretty sure he started with 12. Richo presented him his jumper on debut.

I voted no. I support the idea of players having to earn the right to wear lower numbers.

i rekcon he, Astbury, wore 35 for a year.

smart move.

Muurice jnr is 5 years away, too ,long to wait.

I love the fact that Daniel wants the number and expects to play round 1.

Marketing bonanza

Weren't we going to make young players work for a low number?

Two years ago we weren't handing out numbers under 25 because of a good bloodlines and a high beep test

Col.W.Kurtz said:
Weren't we going to make young players work for a low number?

Two years ago we weren't handing out numbers under 25 because of a good bloodlines and a high beep test
Yeah inconsistent application of club rules wasn't a smart idea IMO.

Earning your number is a stupid policy. What have A Moore and Townsend done to deserve low numbers. Like the 17 for captain policy, scrap it.