Should Daniel Rioli be given the number 17 this year? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Should Daniel Rioli be given the number 17 this year?

Should Daniel Rioli be given the number 17 this year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
God getting old is good. I cant remember Rioli leaving and playing for the swans....at all. Nuursse!

Just checked Michael Lockman played for the swans too. Did we get him from them?

lamb22 said:
God getting old is good. I cant remember Rioli leaving and playing for the swans....at all. Nuursse!

From Wiki

In the summer of 1985–86, the new private owner of the Sydney Swans, flamboyant and controversial doctor Geoff Edelsten, had been frantically signing talent on massive contracts to play for his team. Rioli was announced as one of his many signings. It was the salary cap that saved Rioli from leaving for Sydney.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maurice_Rioli

Amazing that the then VFL stopped their baby Swans from spending.

I'm probably wrong but I'm sure it wasn't the salary cap that stopped Maurice debasing himself at Sydney.

Maurice wanted the money being offered to him but we really cracked the sh!ts over it. If it was as simply as salary cap it would not have been so ugly, there had to be some real serious threats or the like in stopping it.

I think Maurice had to stand out for a while and when he came back to us (and his home) we stripped No. 17 from him and gave him No. 27 as 'punishment'.

I think in the end Sydney got that dirty nose breaking scumbag Diesel Williams from Geelong as a Maurice replacement but lost him soon after to the equal scumbag scum team: Carlscum.

Sintiger said:
You don't have to, totally up to you. For me footy is about emotion and this is also about emotion and a bit of footy romance.

Fantastic, love it.

If that's what you get emotional about wait til we win a final.

ToraToraTora said:
If that's what you get emotional about wait til we win a final.
I'll get emotional about anything I want thanks TTT ;D

A finals win would be extra emotional, a Grand final win would be or..... ( I won't say it ;D)

glad he got 17. its fitting - excuse the pun - and will motivate him no end.

Tigers of Old said:
From Wiki
In the summer of 1985–86, the new private owner of the Sydney Swans, flamboyant and controversial doctor Geoff Edelsten, had been frantically signing talent on massive contracts to play for his team. Rioli was announced as one of his many signings. It was the salary cap that saved Rioli from leaving for Sydney.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maurice_Rioli

Amazing that the then VFL stopped their baby Swans from spending.

Cheers for that tOo

Loved Maurice so much, I must have blacked out his attempted infidelity.

On the number 17 great idea for a number of reasons. First it releases No 17 back into the gene pool. For any other player they would have carried the burden of living up to the 'captain' or captain blood' tradition. Very difficult. Now it becomes another number again.

Secondly it is fitting for another Rioli to wear the jumper.

Thirdly good marketing and feel good stuff. These things matter. This year when we played 7 Friday games and a thursday games all of a sudden our players became known to a wider audience. Underrated players (outside tigerland) like Jack Lids and Rance became established guns rather than emerging guns.

Feel good stuff, positive exposure reflecting back on the players helps, maybe only a percent here and there but often that can be the difference in the end.

So a big clap from me.

lamb22 said:

I do.
Was lower than low seeing him run around in red and white.

smasha said:
I do.
Was lower than low seeing him run around in red and white.

Don't worry smasha. It was just a bad dream you must have had. Blame the media speculation fed by Edelstein after the 1985 season.

jb03 said:
The pressure of wearing the number must have got to him.
yeah, Paul Hudson would've been a gun without the pressure of #17