Should Daniel Rioli be given the number 17 this year? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Should Daniel Rioli be given the number 17 this year?

Should Daniel Rioli be given the number 17 this year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Panthera Tigris said:
Knowing our luck we'll get totally raped in the bidding process for that father/son selection ::). We finally start getting the benefit of some decent father/son prospects and the father/son system has been watered down ridiculously.

A thought though. Bloody oath it gets confusing tracking family trees when generations cross over like that. You'd just hope they keep track of it so no one shags the wrong person, or you might start looking like a European royal family.
We'll get a 20% discount for f/sons, and we've been shown the template: trade a decent pick for a bunch of crap ones.

Give him 33 if we don't win a final next year the we may have knighter as the coach

pervian said:
Give him 33 if we don't win a final next year the we may have knighter as the coach

I liked the way Knighter had the Bummers playing footy. Wouldn't mind seeing him involved with our new players. Would love to see them play fast, exciting and attacking footy.

rosy23 said:
I liked the way Knighter had the Bummers playing footy. Wouldn't mind seeing him involved with our new players. Would love to see them play fast, exciting and attacking footy.
Agree :)

feisty tige said:
There is enough pressure on the kid already, I think Dimma's mantra is to earn your number or something, so give him a higher number just like most others recently.

No, has to earn it, but would be more than happy for him to get it if he proves himself over the next few seasons

rosy23 said:
Unfortunately that's a large part of the reason Knighter got sacked at Essendrugs. All flat out n charge exciting footy with no slow down, stop or reverse. Looked real pretty when they were on song but they got opened up n belted far too often.
We also played the all out attack a fair bit a few years ago n it was the same thing, opened up n slaughtered every time we made a mistake with the ball or didn't start off with it.
We've learnt to play all aspects of the game fairly well the last couple of years, all except that tiny little finals winning bit. We've now got a game that stands up to an all out slug fest, head to head n goal for goal with all comers. We can hang tough n soak up the pressure without conceding to much when opposition sides have us by the short n curlies, stay in the contest without conceding the unanswered goal blitz. We can also run up a pretty handy goal blitz of our own at the right moments when we find a gap in the opposition, more than capable of the rollicking all out fan friendly blast of fun during a game.
Unless a team is as superbly talented or dominant as the Cats or Hawks have been over the last ten ( OMG yes it really has only been that short ) years then it's rare for any team to have much success or win consistently simply with all out attack. We need to be damn good at all aspects of the game styles to even remain competitive. Now if only we could find that last little bit of tinker to the system that gets rid of the finals bogey I'd be a seriously happy grumpy old coot.
Wouldn't say no to having Knighter back at the club in some coaching capacity, even as senior coach if there's a need for a replacement at some stage. But I would hope he's learned a heck of a lot more than just the run n gun that he was coaching at Essendrugs or we'd be going to hell in a hand bag quick smart.

Its a silly thread really as theres zero chance of him being in 17 next year;

1 - first year player
2- Have Maurice jnr coming through in 2018 i believe

FWIW - All those haters that say were too vanilla, i see this as a selection as Dan has serious serious upside, hasnt taken footy serious until last year, and Maurice jnr needs to nominate us, this was a selection IMO based on long term, sustained success.. Dans upside based on combine and genes IMO is fantastic..

Like others i wanted a more immediate impact selection but with this kids upside who knows it could be immediate, all the best to you young RiOLI..

Lets play him round 1 even if its not immediate as this guys elite attributes he will quickly find his way!

Tigertough1974 said:
Someone suggested he will be in the 2018 draft, yes he is apparently very good, its also been suggested he should come to Victoria as Cyril and Daniel did early to acclimatize to a big city and weather etc.. These are only repeats of what i have read as i know little about him.

Havent heard much of Maurice Jnr, Maurice Senior has an older son too I believe , Gavin ? could he play ?

BrisTiger24 said:
Apparently Hartley mentioned at a supporters forum that he will get no.17

straight off the bat ?

- the boy himself mentioned Hardwick said he could play round 1.. which would be amazing.

Would be a moot point if Treloar had signed as he had indicated to the club he would
He was to wear 17

Anyway, I Would be happy to see Daniel wear it

Oops I just posted about this in the Rioli thread, didn't see this one.

Yeah as posted above I heard there was a coterie group presentation at punt Rd and members were told Rioli would be given the 17.

Platinum member said:
Oops I just posted about this in the Rioli thread, didn't see this one.

Yeah as posted above I heard there was a coterie group presentation at punt Rd and members were told Rioli would be given the 17.

Maybe the having to earn the numbers initiative has flown out the window.

rosy23 said:

For some they have to earn it for others it might be a birth right. Either way I am not sure how Astbury got number 12.

rosy23 said:

If he gets 17 then I guess it has. I love the idea of the younger players having to earn the right to higher playing number.

WesternTiger said:
For some they have to earn it for others it might be a birth right. Either way I am not sure how Astbury got number 12.
I can't remember Astbury's original number, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't 12. I remember there being a bit of a fuss about it, because it was Richo's number. I used to place importance on the numbers, but now I really don't care what number is on someone's back just as long as they play well while wearing it.

ThePercies said:
If he gets 17 then I guess it has. I love the idea of the younger players having to earn the right to higher playing number.

I'm actually a bit the opposite... It was a bit of a manufactured 'tradition' to me... I like the fact that players like cotch, lids, sheds, rance, jack etc will have all worn the one number their entire careers.