Should Daniel Rioli be given the number 17 this year? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Should Daniel Rioli be given the number 17 this year?

Should Daniel Rioli be given the number 17 this year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My old Tiger heart still skips a beat when I think of Barry Richardson in No.17
brichhero.jpg

jb03 said:
The pressure of wearing the number must have got to him.

A bit like the pressure of you agreeing with everything LD says has made LD stop posting.

It will all work out fine in the long-term ... the young man seems to have a level head on his shoulders ... we can be sure that he will want to do #17 mighty proud.

hutstar said:
I am not endorsing the rule, but if it exists, don't make exceptions.

The marketing department invents a tradition where the captain wears 17.

Here's a good rule for the club: stop inventing traditions unless you intend to stick to them.
Maybe the fans should simply stop getting antsy over artificial marketing department inventions n simply enjoy the talent n ability a player brings to the club.
Spend our time n energy worrying about our season win loss / finals ratio. The important stuff, not the irrelevant fluff.

rosy23 said:
Why should all Tiger supporters embrace it? I couldn't care less about what numbers players wear. I don't find Daniel wearing his uncle's number anywhere near embraceable. No more than any other players' numbers. I'll support and judge them as players rather than what is on their backs. I certainly hope Daniel lives up to the hype for his sake.
You don't have to, totally up to you. For me footy is about emotion and this is also about emotion and a bit of footy romance.

Fantastic, love it.

TigerMasochist said:
Maybe the fans should simply stop getting antsy over artificial marketing department inventions n simply enjoy the talent n ability a player brings to the club.
Spend our time n energy worrying about our season win loss / finals ratio. The important stuff, not the irrelevant fluff.
It's December. Should we just shut down the forum until pre-season? :)
I repeat, I don't care if he wears the number. I only care that we don't as a club make rules that then come back to bite us on the proverbial. It looks like both 'traditions' are dead now, and that is probably for the best.

Sintiger said:
You don't have to, totally up to you.

Thank you Sin. My comment was clearly replying to ToO's post saying all Tiger supporters should embrace it though.

hutstar said:
It looks like both 'traditions' are dead now, and that is probably for the best.
What tradition?
The tradition of fluff, spin n *smile* formulated by a former coach or a marketing dept. Or the tradition of actions n systems accepted and adhered to over a long period of time by the larger percentage of the club faithful?
Happy to rabbit on about most things regarding the players, new recruits, coaches, board etc. Can't understand the bleating about some sort of short term thought bubble that suddenly became a manufactured revered tradition about not much.
Give the players a number n let them create their own identity n history in that number. Offering a kid the number that was previously worn by by a family member is simply an honoring of both the former player and his young relation. Daniel should not have to " earn " the right to wear Maurice's old number just because it's a low number or because a couple of our best ever players wore it.
The number won't make the player, players become famous in their own right regardless of the number.

i think the whole tradition thing has been overblown. When Dimma said players have to earn a lower number what he really meant, i believe, was simply about tenure. current list players have the right to pick a more popular (lower) number before recent draftees. Every year new players need numbers and every year lower ones are vacated, tenured players get first dibs.
some numbers have special historical and/or marketing value and the club reserves the right to offer these as they see fit. I would like to believe the club would ask the leadership group if they have any problem with them offering x number to x player for a specific purpose, Dan Rioli being a case in point. If number changes at the club are causing any tension amongst the players we may as well shut up shop now. when i finally got my number 13, i was wrapped but it didn't help me play any better unfortunately.

rosy23 said:
Thank you Sin. My comment was clearly replying to ToO's post saying all Tiger supporters should embrace it though.
Yes I know. In the end supporters can make up their own minds of course.

I just love the thought of a Rioli in 17, makes me feel young again

Imo, the whole "you have to wear no 17 now because you're captain" didn't work for me - But each to their own.

Glad Trent stopped it.

Tames said:
Imo, the whole "you have to wear no 17 now because you're captain" didn't work for me - But each to their own.

Glad Trent stopped it.
Yeah I didnt really like it either. I like guys earning numbers or being given numbers due to family members though, maintains a bit of the romance of it for me.

TigerMasochist said:
What tradition?
The tradition of fluff, spin n *smile* formulated by a former coach or a marketing dept. Or the tradition of actions n systems accepted and adhered to over a long period of time by the larger percentage of the club faithful?
Happy to rabbit on about most things regarding the players, new recruits, coaches, board etc. Can't understand the bleating about some sort of short term thought bubble that suddenly became a manufactured revered tradition about not much.
Give the players a number n let them create their own identity n history in that number. Offering a kid the number that was previously worn by by a family member is simply an honoring of both the former player and his young relation. Daniel should not have to " earn " the right to wear Maurice's old number just because it's a low number or because a couple of our best ever players wore it.
The number won't make the player, players become famous in their own right regardless of the number.

Thus the quotes mate. Jesus.

I liked the 17 for captain idea.
But Cotchin didn't.
Once he had Campbell's old number, he wasn't giving it Up for anything
Who am I to argue?

Rioli has got his great- uncle's top now.
I Look forward to watching him play

wrong thread sort of... but does someone remember who- if anyone; wore number 17 for the Tigers in 1986? Maurice wore number 27 when he returned to the club half-way through '86 after the Sydney Swans flirtation/salary cap thing... so who was wearing 17? and if no-one- why wasn't Maurice able to re-claim it? Craig Smith wore it in 1987.

rosy23 said:
I liked the way Knighter had the Bummers playing footy. Wouldn't mind seeing him involved with our new players. Would love to see them play fast, exciting and attacking footy.

Knights had more wins over top-four opponents than Hird + Thompson combined, and with much younger teams.

Knights >>> Essendon

Flea74 said:
wrong thread sort of... but does someone remember who- if anyone; wore number 17 for the Tigers in 1986? Maurice wore number 27 when he returned to the club half-way through '86 after the Sydney Swans flirtation/salary cap thing... so who was wearing 17? and if no-one- why wasn't Maurice able to re-claim it? Craig Smith wore it in 1987.

afltables.com shows Rioli wore #17 from 1982 - 1985 who then left us for the Swans. So in 1986, Michael Lockman was wearing #27 in the 3 games he played (R1, R2 & R3) and must have passed it to Rioli when he came back (and started playing from R9). From then on, Lockman took the #17 but didn't play anymore seniors for us.....who knows why Rioli didn't take the #17 again?. Lockman left for the Pies in 1987 and Craig Smith took the #17.

I can't even remember this Michael Lockman at all.

TigerForce said:
afltables.com shows Rioli wore #17 from 1982 - 1985 who then left us for the Swans. So in 1986, Michael Lockman was wearing #27 in the 3 games he played (R1, R2 & R3) and must have passed it to Rioli when he came back (and started playing from R9). From then on, Lockman took the #17 but didn't play anymore seniors for us.....who knows why Rioli didn't take the #17 again?. Lockman left for the Pies in 1987 and Craig Smith took the #17.

I can't even remember this Michael Lockman at all.
I can. From the under 19s. Yet another "gun" that never eventuates. Half back flanker from memory. 6ft black hair. I think he went to Collingwood after us.