Samson Ryan | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Samson Ryan

Is Maric doing his job properly. I know he was a great clubman and highly liked around the Club but honestly I think it's time to look elsewhere for a ruck development coach. Tigers need to get proactive and bring in the best. At the moment it's like a *smile* sandwich down there

Reactions: 2 users
What Samson needs I think is to just play AFL. And while he's in and out of the side, mostly at VFL level, we won't see him improve, if indeed he can. It will take a while, and no doubt there will be hooting and hollering about it, but until he gets 75-100 AFL games under his belt we won't know.

Reactions: 1 user
Is Maric doing his job properly. I know he was a great clubman and highly liked around the Club but honestly I think it's time to look elsewhere for a ruck development coach. Tigers need to get proactive and bring in the best. At the moment it's like a *smile* sandwich down there
Agree. I think Maric is plateauing as ruck coach. Nank still hasn't shown much improvement in tapping to our mids.

I have posted elsewhere that for the first time in a long time RFC decision makers are on notice…!

The decision to give Ryan a 3 year extension was the first serious crack to appear.
nope . I mentioned them earlier in here. Signing up an insipid 202 cm kid was hopefully the last of the cracks to appear.

What Samson needs I think is to just play AFL. And while he's in and out of the side, mostly at VFL level, we won't see him improve, if indeed he can. It will take a while, and no doubt there will be hooting and hollering about it, but until he gets 75-100 AFL games under his belt we won't know.
While i agree, the only way it can happen while Nank is fit is if he plays forward. Which gets results like yesterday.
He needs to ruck and ruck and ruck some more. And at the moment that means he plays VFL. But considering our next tallest fit forward option at the moment in Noah Cumberland I can understand why he is being played.

I really like this kid but just don’t think he has the attributes required. Not mobile, not a strong mark and still not big enough.

My position on Ryan is pretty simple. I reckon he needs to fill out a bit before he can benefit from that most wonderful of all canned goods - confidence.

Confidence to hold his own in the pack. It isn’t there and maybe won’t be there until boy becomes man.

I’ve decided I like the contract. Fill him out a bit and we will have a player.

Puppy to hound. Time and patience.

Last edited:
His a number one ruck fullstop and the issue is Nank there.
Have to agree. I was hoping Samson might make it as a forward but doesn't seem to have the smarts for it, can never seem to get separation, probably doesn't know how. His best and most consistent games have been as #1 ruck but he just isn't as good as Nanks so misses out.

you know what it's like to balance a broom on the palm of your hand?

thats what he reminds me of

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
While i agree, the only way it can happen while Nank is fit is if he plays forward. Which gets results like yesterday.
He needs to ruck and ruck and ruck some more. And at the moment that means he plays VFL. But considering our next tallest fit forward option at the moment in Noah Cumberland I can understand why he is being played.
He is not getting a game in front of Nankervis to even think it is laughable. If Soldo was still here he would not get a game in front of Soldo. If Naismith was fit he would be behind him. Last one having seen nothing of OH-B Id bet he is physcially more equipped to play ruck.

Its one thing to play him for expeience. Its unforgivable playing him when it is so patently obvious he is nowhere near the level.
Give OH-B a game.

There has been a forward option there since the mid season draft. There has been no reason whatever for not playing Blight either forward after all clunking a mark is a big part of the battle and he has played as a forward before he came to us, or play him back and perseve with Balta forward.

Last edited:
I remember Terry Wallace saying similar things about Adam Pattinson. I don’t think any of us want to see another 25 - 50 games of what Ryan has given us so far. Nank had a Premiership at around Ryan’s age, and his back up ruck was Shaun Grigg.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
My position on Ryan is pretty simple. I reckon he needs to fill out a bit before he can benefit from that most wonderful of all canned goods - confidence.

Confidence to hold his own in the pack. It isn’t there and maybe won’t be there until boy becomes man.

I’ve decided I like the contract. Fill him out a bit and we will have a player.

Puppy to hound. Time and patience.
He's 24 years old. Soldo was showing far more at the same age & he was a basketball project.

For me it's not just the significant inability to hold an overhead mark, it's also his complete lack of impact at ground level.

Not to mention a very poor workrate.

I felt we were playing a man down until he was eventually subbed out.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
He's 24 years old. Soldo was showing far more at the same age & he was a basketball project.

For me it's not just the significant inability to hold an overhead mark, it's also his complete lack of impact at ground level.

We also had Dow on the ground, so we were 2 down.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I remember Terry Wallace saying similar things about Adam Pattinson. I don’t think any of us want to see another 25 - 50 games of what Ryan has given us so far. Nank had a Premiership at around Ryan’s age, and his back up ruck was Shaun Grigg.
People develop at different rates. I think the point here is he has just signed a lengthy contract extension so how does the club try to develop him into an AFL ruck? Play him solely in the VFL and only play him when Nank is injured?

Yeah I understand that but every body (literal body) is different.

The club may feel that Ryan has more physical and mental maturity to come.

I feel that Ryan has some very nice tools for such a tall man. Reaching a critical mass of bulk might make a world of difference.

Yeah I understand that but every body (literal body) is different.

The club may feel that Ryan has more physical and mental maturity to come.

I feel that Ryan has some very nice tools for such a tall man. Reaching a critical mass of bulk might make a world of difference.
Yep. 2 different body frames and that's why the David Bourke Syndrome worries me about Samson.

Still cannot catch the ball.
No comparison with any decent ruckman.
Highly unlikely to ever be AFL standard.
Poor decision to contract for 3 years.
Very worrying that the club did this..reeks of Tigers 1985- 2025...accepting very low standards...leads to prolonged failure.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users