Samson Ryan | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Samson Ryan

Id like to know when he came of age. Is this from the club. No one would have blinked if we gave him one year or even rookie listed him but no we had to give him a whole whopping three years. It really reminds of dark days long in the past.
There are, for me, worrying signs about the list management. Along with Ryan’s unnecessarily long contract extension we’ve got the extra year to Grimes last year and now Prestia. Both players have injury related issues.

There are, for me, worrying signs about the list management. Along with Ryan’s unnecessarily long contract extension we’ve got the extra year to Grimes last year and now Prestia. Both players have injury related issues.
Some players, like Grimes, took some pay cuts along the way to help attract outsiders. They give them a pension year to top up what was lost. It happens at all clubs.

Reactions: 4 users
Have a bad feeling Samson is just another in a long line of failed talls who lacks the key ingredient. Competitiveness.

Just don't see the absolute desperation required either in the air or on the ground. Nor does he seem to want to work hard enough to get to many contests. Maybe he's just not physically capable of it yet but it's not there as it stands right now.

Nank is a beast in this regard. Soldo has it. Lefau does too. Naismith. Balta.. I could go on.
Talls need an absolute appetite for the contest.

With Samson I just don't see it.:confused:

Reactions: 10 users
Apart from all his physical deficiencies mentioned I am a believer he's mentally not focussed during a game and he can't have any impact because he loses sight of the game. I don't know if this can be corrected as atm he reminds me of a thoroughbred that doesn't want to be at the races.
HE REALLY LACKS GAME TIME FOCUS AND INVOLVEMENT IS THEN NON EXISTENT.

Personally I think this is harder to fix than anything else and why I can't see him making it as it impacts his physical involvement as well. If he was mentally switched on he would get to impact more contests and eventually some good things would start to happen and confidence would start to build. It's a long road and he's been fortunate to be given three years to rectify all of his long list of shortcomings.

Have a bad feeling Samson is just another in a long line of failed talls who lacks the key ingredient. Competitiveness.

Just don't see the absolute desperation required either in the air or on the ground. Nor does he seem to want to work hard enough to get to many contests. Maybe he's just not physically capable of it yet but it's not there as it stands right now.

Nank is a beast in this regard. Soldo has it. Lefau does too. Naismith. Balta.. I could go on.
Talls need an absolute appetite for the contest.

With Samson I just don't see it.:confused:
You can copy and paste Sonsie’s name into these statements also.

Reactions: 1 user
Watched him reasonably closely when in play… his positioning seems wrong, misreads the flight and putting himself too far under the ball… so rather than using height to 2 hand mark, he’s then going back to 1 to try and get it to ground. When it’s below eye level, he leads on to it ok. And yeah….poor core strength. Easily moved by others

I don't have much confidence in him at the moment, and I certainly understand the angst about the 3 year contract.

The saving grace is that he won't be on a high salary and I reckon that is why the club is willing to go for 3 years. He has potential, and if he can make the necessary improvements it will give us a, hopefully, decent tall at a low price. Given he would not be on big money it is a much smaller risk although with list sizes more limited these days it is a risk of a list spot too.

The other factor would be that if we let him go he might thrive somewhere else and we would be seething that we lost him before he improved, and this forum would also explode!

DS

Reactions: 4 users
Realistically, who would have taken his list spot over the next three years?

If we are trading everyone with value, retiring and delisting everyone else, we'll need someone to play.

We will be churning through our list in that period, and will be desperately trying to find 22 players to put on the park.

Keeping the big guy with a few years of development under his belt makes sense.

Reactions: 3 users
Agree with above regarding positioning, core strength, marking etc…
Maybe he will improve, maybe he won’t…
Personally can’t see it but would love it if he came good.

How is someone like a Dante Visante going at PoorRadelaide? Vic Kid 200+cm …
stuck behind Sweet and Big Ivan… when he played AFL he seemed competitive in the Ruck at least….
These big guys take time…

Wouldnt of given three years though…
Put the carrot in front of him and a boot behind him…..

Good Luck SamSon.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't have much confidence in him at the moment, and I certainly understand the angst about the 3 year contract.

The saving grace is that he won't be on a high salary and I reckon that is why the club is willing to go for 3 years. He has potential, and if he can make the necessary improvements it will give us a, hopefully, decent tall at a low price. Given he would not be on big money it is a much smaller risk although with list sizes more limited these days it is a risk of a list spot too.

The other factor would be that if we let him go he might thrive somewhere else and we would be seething that we lost him before he improved, and this forum would also explode!

DS
Spot on.

Three years in itself is irrelevant - particularly if Ryan has accepted a relatively low annual salary

Within all the angst posted about his contract extension - does anyone here really know the actual contract numbers?

Samson needs to bulk up, ruckman Liam Reidy debuted for the Dockers yesterday, he's put on 20kg's since they recruited him.

Despite the fact that we really need a back up ruck, and someone else with a bit of key position size up forward, Ryan has been dropped. I agree with the dropping, he's not up to AFL standard, but we've got 3 more years of this guy taking up a spot on the list, and I can't see much changing. Better hope we can find a ruckman to replace Nank, because if it's Ryan then we are *smile*.

Last edited:
The only saving grace I see is that a few blokes didn’t hit their straps until they were 25 or so. Think Michael Gale and Max Gawn etc. hopefully that happens