Samson Ryan | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Samson Ryan

At the moment he is contesting for marks in a pack or outnumber, .

Would love it id we could isolate him one on one or on the lead.

Reactions: 1 users
I wish he would lead out more, at his height if he runs and jumps it is damned near impossible to spoil.

A skill set he really needs to learn - lead and then actually mark the ball.

Also helps that you can't have your arms held if you are running towards the ball.

DS

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
As frustrating as he was last night he still possibly has an upside. Hope we keep playing him this season to find out. Nothing to lose by doing it.

Reactions: 3 users
Ok, so he’s not Dean Cox.

But I think the criticisms are a little bit over the top.
I agree with Yze’s comment that he ‘created some quality contests’.

Slippery conditions and our best scoring options were at ground level. I was watching him in terms of this and how he was managing his role from air to ground. We have been woeful in the air. In the second half he was consistent in
1. Getting to a contest
2. Competing and halving the contest
3. Controlling the direction of the ball from air to ground to where our players were.

In contrast, Koschitzke was clueless in the air. If he didn’t mark it there was zero thought to where it went after that and it nearly always just shot out to a crow defender for a quick rebound. Kosi was a complete liability in the air and Ryan at least neutralised it, which is what his role probably was. Had the second most hit outs behind Nank (ok ok, so the Aldi Shaun Rehn went off injured, but still…)

I reckon there is some context in the one arm up perception.

With this role in mind, comparing this thread to the Ralphsmith thread is quite stark. It’s the ‘one percenters’ that see Hugo get some high praise and ‘forget the stats, he played well’ comments.

Disposals Kicks Handballs Marks Tackles Hitouts
Ralphsmith. 7. 3. 4. 1. 5. 0
Koschitzke 4. 3. 1. 4. 4. 0
Ryan. 8. 4. 4. 1. 0. 14

Ryan tackle count bad and I’ll agree with se7en that his second efforts need to be better.

Again…. I’m NOT saying he had a blinder so please don’t swing the pendulum that my comments are saying that. Pleas don’t be a knee jerk.
Just saying he wasn’t as deplorable as is being made out.

Reactions: 11 users
It looked to me like every time he went up for a marking contest, he was thinking it was a ruck contest and was trying to tap it, not mark

He’s 23
Yep. Last time I consulted the record books people stopped being teenagers the birthday after their nineTEENth simply because there was no more teens left in the count.
Could be one of those mystical sort of development thingies now that we live a lot longer than in the past. 40 being the new 30 or 50 being the new 40 that all the wankers come up with while trying to pretend they're not getting *smile* old.

Against the grain , however I actually saw Thursday night as a bit of a step in the right direction, competed better , got hands on ball more , held his ground a wee bit better , which imho is he’s biggest challenge.

I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s forward or bust , dosent seem to the strength or endurance to keep competing all over the ground like a genuine ruck does , I’d like to see him play deep forward , launch hard with his big testacles at each marking contest , this should at least give us a target outside of Lynch going forward and make our crumbing more predictable for our smalls

In saying that , far from convinced

Reactions: 5 users
He played his role perfectly.
im a believer.
like yze i believe he competed at contests & presented well.
operating under instructions to the letter.

hes a high twitcher & moves efficiently...a good foil for nank.
not without belly fire either.

im a believer.
like yze i believe he competed at contests & presented well.
operating under instructions to the letter.

hes a high twitcher & moves efficiently...a good foil for nank.
not without belly fire either.
I thought he competed really well... Just not physically strong enough and for whatever reason lacks confidence when in marking contests at senior level (not when kicking for goal funnily enough).

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry to differ here but Ryan needs to attack the ball in flight and with his height,arm length and leap probably 4 metres,bloody hard to stop.Those that say he is always being held on one arm is also not the case.If so where is the free?My watching of him he is too concentrated on the opponent next to him rather than watching the ball in flight in order to best mark it.Balta also gets caught out on this.Perhaps the marking coaches at Tigerland(if they exist) need to be looked at well.

At the moment he is contesting for marks in a pack or outnumber, .

Would love it id we could isolate him one on one or on the lead.
I remember as a struggling under 16’s key forward our best player gave me the best advice I ever received as a footballer. Movement attracts the ball. By that he meant that as a midfielder he always looked to kick to players moving with purpose to dangerous positions.
I believe that is as true for AFL players as it is for local plodders. If Ryan starts leading with purpose, he will attract the ball and his height becomes a real weapon.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
Ned Moyle is younger than Ryan and competed manfully and flew for marks strongly.

Age is no excuse.

• Love
Sorry to differ here but Ryan needs to attack the ball in flight and with his height,arm length and leap probably 4 metres,bloody hard to stop.Those that say he is always being held on one arm is also not the case.If so where is the free?My watching of him he is too concentrated on the opponent next to him rather than watching the ball in flight in order to best mark it.Balta also gets caught out on this.Perhaps the marking coaches at Tigerland(if they exist) need to be looked at well.

I have seen his arms held multiple times. Where's the free? Give me a break, apart from the fact he is wearing a Richmond jumper, the umps barely ever pay holding the man, despite the fact it has been in the rule book for over 100 years.

As I said above, he needs to lead out, hard to hold the arms of a player who is running away from you.

DS

Is the the rash causing the itch, or the itch leading to a rash?

Is he not leading towards the ball because he’s being held, or is he able to be held and manhandled because he can’t lead towards the ball?

It’ll be coached out but I do worry about the defeatist attitude. Hate to say it but he’s playing like a loser.

Needs Emma Murray
Hasn't she gone too? If so, thanks Benny and co. Will there be anyone worthwhile left behind when you head off to Tassie, just to switch the lights off? We seem to have plenty of $$$, allegedly, just not doing anything very proactive with it?

Kinda weird, much as Gale has been wonderful in his time at RFC, now we are being led by a CEO who has just been headhunted to take on that role for a new competitor, planning and preparing right now to beat us and the rest in the very near future.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Ned Moyle is younger than Ryan and competed manfully and flew for marks strongly.

Age is no excuse.
How old is the Bloos' DeKoning? Has overtaken a very tough, contested-ball, Nank-style ruckman in Pittonet at a rate of knots. But, athleticism and bodily strength helps this development - note to our recruiters.