Samson Ryan | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Samson Ryan

How old is the Bloos' DeKoning? Has overtaken a very tough, contested-ball, Nank-style ruckman in Pittonet at a rate of knots. But, athleticism and bodily strength helps this development - note to our recruiters.
Just checked. So their DeK is 24, and at least 5cms shorter than Ryan. Of course, we're not allowed to know their respective weights. Can only hope Ryan can make such a leap forward over the next year or two.

Reactions: 1 users
Ryan is taking longer to mature in AF footy than most want or expect yet forget all we drafted was a beanpole who had potential. Over the years in our system, there is improvement but so much more is needed. He needs to learn to use his height and agility to get his arms free in a contest and mark the ball or bring it down for the crumbers. Unfortunately, as DavidSSS has said many times, he keeps getting his arms pinned by smart defenders and gets no help from the umps. Another season or two to keep learning his craft and getting some competition in Ruck stocks within the club will not hurt

Reactions: 7 users
Ryan is taking longer to mature in AF footy than most want or expect yet forget all we drafted was a beanpole who had potential. Over the years in our system, there is improvement but so much more is needed. He needs to learn to use his height and agility to get his arms free in a contest and mark the ball or bring it down for the crumbers. Unfortunately, as DavidSSS has said many times, he keeps getting his arms pinned by smart defenders and gets no help from the umps. Another season or two to keep learning his craft and getting some competition in Ruck stocks within the club will not hurt
Watched Thursday’s game again today taking interest in Ryan’s marking contests. He didn’t appear to be held all that often but seems to have a tendency of not raising the arm closest to his opponent. Not sure if it’s a self protection instinct or a confidence thing but there were definitely times where he went one handed when he could have used both.

I agree with DavidSSS that he needs to start leading with purpose. Much harder to get away with holding on to a player that is sprinting away from you. Could boost his confidence as well

Reactions: 6 users
Watched Thursday’s game again today taking interest in Ryan’s marking contests. He didn’t appear to be held all that often but seems to have a tendency of not raising the arm closest to his opponent. Not sure if it’s a self protection instinct or a confidence thing but there were definitely times where he went one handed when he could have used both.
Gets held some of the time, as do all of the forwards. Reckon perhaps because he doesn't quite have the physical overhead marking strength that he also simply tries to use an arm to fend oppo players off while trying to ruck the ball down to the crumbing on ballers. Could simply be trying to control the fall of the ball and keep the defenders influence on the contest to a minimum.

Gets held some of the time, as do all of the forwards. Reckon perhaps because he doesn't quite have the physical overhead marking strength that he also simply tries to use an arm to fend oppo players off while trying to ruck the ball down to the crumbing on ballers. Could simply be trying to control the fall of the ball and keep the defenders influence on the contest to a minimum.
We need more than that.

I remember as a struggling under 16’s key forward our best player gave me the best advice I ever received as a footballer. Movement attracts the ball. By that he meant that as a midfielder he always looked to kick to players moving with purpose to dangerous positions.
I believe that is as true for AFL players as it is for local plodders. If Ryan starts leading with purpose, he will attract the ball and his height becomes a real weapon.
Love this post. It would be such an improvement in his game and he would grow in confidence the more he touched the ball. ATM he’s too stagnant and easily accounted for.

Reactions: 5 users
Basketballer turned rookie footballer Oliver Hayes-Brown is only 7 months older with a lot less development behind him..
Only seen big Ollie playing that Port game, no training or Ammo games, but he does look to have a fair bit of physical presence on ground. Bit of power n beast mode happening, Samsung's got a fair bit of tall skinny pelican or flamingo flapping look about him.

How many on our main list 42?
He's #42.
Sorry what’s your point DD? Every team has a last man on a list and it’s usually a new guy on the list who is a rookie of some type or a msd draft pick . In our case we had two after OHB was picked. I have a few extra players after him on our list if that’s what you were getting at.

I remember as a struggling under 16’s key forward our best player gave me the best advice I ever received as a footballer. Movement attracts the ball. By that he meant that as a midfielder he always looked to kick to players moving with purpose to dangerous positions.
I believe that is as true for AFL players as it is for local plodders. If Ryan starts leading with purpose, he will attract the ball and his height becomes a real weapon.
Very true. If things aren't quite working for you, keep moving around, do the yards and things will eventually turn. Movement will always attract attention. And voice. I guess it's a little hard when you're also doing quite a bit of ruck work to get that separation when moving to forward line.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't think so. Wouldn't be playing 1s if he was.
The only 2 on our main list who haven't played are Fawcett and Colina, and they are both injured.

I understand the intent of what you're saying, but we've literally played everyone in the firsts who was not injured.

As for Ryan. I see a tall guy who can tap the ball. Other than that he plays right now, like a slightly more skilled Knobel.
I can see the guys athletic traits. I really can't see his football ones. Surely we want someone who can mark the ball, even as a ruckman?

Reactions: 3 users
The only 2 on our main list who haven't played are Fawcett and Colina, and they are both injured.

I understand the intent of what you're saying, but we've literally played everyone in the firsts who was not injured.

As for Ryan. I see a tall guy who can tap the ball. Other than that he plays right now, like a slightly more skilled Knobel.
I can see the guys athletic traits. I really can't see his football ones. Surely we want someone who can mark the ball, even as a ruckman?
I don't disagree with your Ryan assessment but I don't think the club sees him as #42 on our list. They don't have to select him right now. I think he'll get at least another year or two, there are others on our list who won't.

The argument that the umpires aren't seeing him being held makes me laugh so hard. I've never seen a player get more excuses or require more time.

Reactions: 2 users
Sorry what’s your point DD? Every team has a last man on a list and it’s usually a new guy on the list who is a rookie of some type or a msd draft pick . In our case we had two after OHB was picked. I have a few extra players after him on our list if that’s what you were getting at.
My point is.He's a dud.lol

• Sad
The argument that the umpires aren't seeing him being held makes me laugh so hard. I've never seen a player get more excuses or require more time.
I tend to agree here. If the tactic works on Ryan then why isn’t this happening to every tall forward? And because they don’t play for Richmond we’d be seeing free kicks paid for it. We’re not.

I wonder if there's something of the sunk cost fallacy about Samson.