Samson Ryan | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Samson Ryan

He was terrible. No presence and couldn’t mark a beach ball. Very disappointing. Just don’t think he is any good.

Kosi was much much better and that’s a real low bar.

Reactions: 6 users
My take is that he was not out marked at all. Brought the ball to ground, allowed the smalls to be in the game.

They are also awful, so his opponents didn’t fire a shot.

If that’s his best, which it may be, this is his last season

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
He was terrible. No presence and couldn’t mark a beach ball. Very disappointing. Just don’t think he is any good.

Kosi was much much better and that’s a real low bar.
Yep. That was horrendous. The only positive was he wasn’t out marked and brought the ball to the ground a couple of times. Outside of that he was terrible.

Possibly the worst game of football I’ve seen
Being tall is about the only criteria the Tigers recruiting department apply when looking at potential AFL standard rucks.

It’s NEVER enough. Who in that department looks at body shape, and then adjusts that shape according to what a few years in an AFL system does, or should do to that body?

Who is looking at attitude and a desire to compete and compete some more?

Clearly nobody because this footballer has reached his potential and it is no where good enough to play AFL football.

Another Tiger big man bust!!!!

Last edited:
Needs a bit of aggro. Needs a bit of muscle. Seems to drop head easily when beaten.
Needs some tough love at training where he gets roughed up a bit to spark that fire in the belly to compete.

Reactions: 1 users
The way he played he looked like he was under instructions to bring the ball to ground.
If that’s correct he did a reasonable job of it.
At least he was a target to kick to up forward.

Reactions: 5 users
The young man offers bugger all, it aint his fault, but geeze, is Eevan doing anything?

Lacks genuine competitive desire.
I feel like it may be an undiagnosed exotic medical condition where despite years of training in a professional football facility under the guidance of expert PE trainers and sports scientist he has the core strength of a new born child.

And current state of the art medical imaging devices are not able to shed any light on why.

• Haha
  • Love
Adelaide had c-grade bigs in tonight.

No excuses. None. Played like a big *smile* sook and it was so disappointing to see.

I haven’t given up on him but tonight was extremely poor viewing.

I am putting Samson forward for the Para Olympics, he only has one arm.

Seriously if I get Tim Livingston's ear I'm going to ask what's going on.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
I understand Samson could be better.

I get the frustration that he needs to get stronger so he isn't out-muscled in the contest.

I can see why people think he aims to get the ball to ground in a marking contest.

But just about every marking contest tonight he had at least 1, and often 2, of his arms being held. It is pretty damned hard when your opponents can blatantly hold your arms in a marking contest against the rules and they are always allowed to get away with it. If he changed his name to Curnow our free kick woes would be over, Samson would get 25 frees a week.

I agree with a lot of the criticism, and I know that as a tall marking forward it is almost expected these days that you free your arms from defenders holding your arms back. But it doesn't make it right.

DS