Samson Ryan | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Samson Ryan

Not a dumb theory at all. They do train this. It's a regular feature at training in multiple drills where pretty much all the key forwards (pretty much with the exception of Tom (and this year only)) go up one handed to bring the ball to ground. Samson is doing what is coached and that is what is expected of him.
Terrible development considering he's over 2m tall. Imagine Beveridge teaching that to Darcy. It's a terrible game plan as well considering the poor quality of our small forwards and their matchups.

Reactions: 1 users
For contests where a mark isn't possible or for all marking contests?
For contested marking situations. It's a distinct soft hand/s to bring the ball directly to the front of the contest and let the smalls converge.

• Wow
  • Dislike
Reactions: 3 users
Terrible development considering he's over 2m tall. Imagine Beveridge teaching that to Darcy. It's a terrible game plan as well considering the poor quality of our small forwards and their matchups.
Lynch does it as well.

@mrposhman will be better at stats than I am but my recollection is that teams average about 7 to 8 marks inside forward 50 and about 2 to 3 contested marks. From between 50 and 60 forward 50 entries. That says getting the ball to ground how you want rather than allowing a defensive mark would/should be a better outcome.

Lynch does it as well.

@mrposhman will be better at stats than I am but my recollection is that teams average about 7 to 8 marks inside forward 50 and about 2 to 3 contested marks. From between 50 and 60 forward 50 entries. That says getting the ball to ground how you want rather than allowing a defensive mark would/should be a better outcome.
A much better performance last night, keep improving Ryan, we need you so.

Lynch does it as well.

You only do that if you're in a poor position to mark as opponent is in better position to mark or win the footy. That's halving the contest., otherwise you go for your marks. That's how Lynch and other good forwards do it. And again you need quality s9mall forwards which we currently don't have with Bolton and Junior out.

I wish he had the same confidence he has when kicking for goal when marking the ball. Will be a player if so.

You only do that if you're in a poor position to mark as opponent is in better position to mark or win the footy. That's halving the contest., otherwise you go for your marks. That's how Lynch and other good forwards do it. And again you need quality s9mall forwards which we currently don't have with Bolton and Junior out.
Bit difficult being in best marking position when you're a tall skinny pelican playing as a one out forward and you've got a tall strong opponent bustling you with another interceptor floating across as well and the ball's coming high on your head instead of out front. Sometimes all ya can do is try n get half a hand on the pill n hope there's a small scrounger nearby.

Bit difficult being in best marking position when you're a tall skinny pelican playing as a one out forward and you've got a tall strong opponent bustling you with another interceptor floating across as well and the ball's coming high on your head instead of out front. Sometimes all ya can do is try n get half a hand on the pill n hope there's a small scrounger nearby.
LeFau was there for last week and most of this week. I understand if that’s the idea and game plan of the club and it’s terrible. I wasn’t saying it’s Ryan’s fault, but a game plan issue and therefore poor development of Ryan.

I wish I was 2m tall because if I couldn’t play Basketball then the RFC would give me at least four years on their list.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
He’s as bad as Sean Hampson & I never thought I’d see a worse mark for a player over 195cm.

It would be a miracle for Ryan to be anything other than useless.

• Dislike
We want Samson to play in front and hold the space. He did it tonight. Now he's gotta start catching them.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
How many years before he clicks, another disappointing game. Most likely to get dropped when Lynchy is back.