Samson Ryan | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Samson Ryan

We have no other choice so he will get afl games :LOL:
I should have clarified for the future we have no other choice but to blood Ryan for one. Unless there is a ruck/kpf free agent coming I don't know about? We can hypothetically play Kosi or other options from the vfl, or just go smaller as well.

Reactions: 1 user
I should have clarified for the future we have no other choice but to blood Ryan for one. Unless there is a ruck/kpf free agent coming I don't know about? We can hypothetically play Kosi or other options from the vfl, or just go smaller as well.
Agreed. I was surprised with Naismith going down that we didn't draft a ruck, even as insurance / 3rd ruck.
Nank has had injury in the past. will happen again. Longterm we have to build up our ruck list.

Until he can take one grab, overhead marks on a consistent basis, he’ll be a limited footballer. And certainly won’t take us anywhere. Heaven forbid if Nank gets injured now.

Was surprised he was kept in after the appalling display in Dreamtime. It was ironic tonight one of his two goals came from a free because the Geelong defender held his arms. He can’t have watched any tapes of Ryan trying to take overhead marks.

His arms get held all the time but the useless umps do nothing. I would think it is the case for a lot of forwards but they somehow manage to get their arms free. It is rife and a blot on the game.

Not saying Ryan is a great mark, he clearly needs a lot of work on his marking, but the holding of forwards' arms is shocking and has been going on for so long it will be hard to stamp it out.

DS

Reactions: 1 users
Brung some moments of game did the Samsung, ruck support for the Nank, took some marks n kicked some sausages. Simply another one that we need to keep pushing games into so we can properly find what he's got.
Just on his one handed attempts at times, possibly a half dumb theory but it's been a Dimma rule for years that the big forwards create a contest n at the least bring the ball to ground for the smalls.
Might just be that Samsung's a bit indoctrinated in this n attempts in congested or contested situations to ruck the ball to ground for the smalls rather than trying a two handed mark, perhaps also not quite strong enough to get that second arm free from the scraggers at times??????

Reactions: 2 users
He did some good work, some good contests and marks. Dare I say it, he gave us a bit of structure up forward. Relieving Nank and the backline able to stay set

Just on his one handed attempts at times, possibly a half dumb theory but it's been a Dimma rule for years that the big forwards create a contest n at the least bring the ball to ground for the smalls.

Not a dumb theory at all. They do train this. It's a regular feature at training in multiple drills where pretty much all the key forwards (pretty much with the exception of Tom (and this year only)) go up one handed to bring the ball to ground. Samson is doing what is coached and that is what is expected of him.

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users
Not a dumb theory at all. They do train this. It's a regular feature at training in multiple drills where pretty much all the key forwards (pretty much with the exception of Tom (and this year only)) go up one handed to bring the ball to ground. Samson is doing what is coached and that is what is expected of him.
Great way to destroy a key forwards development

We have to keep playing him. What he needs to do is have more games like last night than the ones against GC and the Drugcheats.

Gotta take overhead marks. Its a non-negotiable. He's shown that he can, has to do it to make it.

His marks were chest marks. Needs to raise his arms and clunk them.

Reactions: 3 users
His marks were chest marks. Needs to raise his arms and clunk them.
Yet knows how to body an opponent out of the contest n keep his own body protecting the fall when he's got room to take a step, so didn't need to stick the tentacles out overhead where they are vulnerable. Still got lots of learning and strength to develop yet so I'll accept him trying to do the things he's reasonably good at while developing the bits he's not so good at.

1st half, horrible, shoved around and looked like an inflatable man out the front of a car yard.

2nd half, better, showed some spirit, not great but not the first half.

Will get another go, the cupboard is bare.

Gawn still playing reserves at 23 and got in a poor senior side late in the 2014 season just before he turned 24.

Hopefully Ryan gets this kind of trajectory going over the next year. He is now at that exact age moment where Gawn never got dropped again.

Not sure if anyone here though knows what was being said about Gawn at that age. But imagine 30 year olds were bullying him too.

I might inch closer to the bandwagon when I see him raise both arms above his head at the same time.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Gawn still playing reserves at 23 and got in a poor senior side late in the 2014 season just before he turned 24.

Hopefully Ryan gets this kind of trajectory going over the next year. He is now at that exact age moment where Gawn never got dropped again.

Not sure if anyone here though knows what was being said about Gawn at that age. But imagine 30 year olds were bullying him too.

That’s a very good comparison Roar - and I remember many were laughing at a uncoordinated Gawn I his first couple of seasons and his kicking was no where near the standard of Ryan’s is now - Gawn couldn’t hit a barn if he was standing in it.