Round 2 of the 2015 finals...The other Games | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Round 2 of the 2015 finals...The other Games

rosy23 said:
Wouldn't we all love that kind of win against the odds, give your all, never give up spirit that wins finals.

North didn't win against any odds last night, Sydney were crippled and on that venue would have been easy picking for any well coached side (and North are coached far better than Sydney or us).

We probably would have beaten that Sydney side last night given the match-ups and having a side better suited to that ground.

I still expect both travelling sides to get defeated next week against rested Perth teams that haven't travelled much for a while now.

Bill James said:
1st Commandment. Thou shalt not barrack for the Eagles.

I went to an Eagles Carlton game once and tried to barrack for them. Half way through the first quarter I was barracking for the blues without even consciously deciding to. Never has there been supporter group more worthy of derision. This club is prepared to flout any rule to disadvantage any other club. Even the west australian ran an article on their free kick inequity this week.

I will be barracking for the shinboners and whoever wins the other prelim in the GF
I had a similar experience with Collingwood once. It was one of the Brisbane finals. I tried to barrack for the Pies, but a lifetime's conditioning kicked in after the first quarter and I wanted them to lose. I don't think I really wanted Brisbane to win, either, I just couldn't bring myself to want Collingwood to win.

Sintiger said:
Different subject. I am just saying that the players had high expectations and they are gutted and very disappointed. What would you like them to be, happy ?

What they do about it is up to them and the proof of that will be in next season's pudding.

Weird question Sin. Why ask if I'd like them to be happy? I haven't even mentioned how they feel let alone taking a guess at it. It's fact they didn't do enough to achieve their expectations. Not too many played at their best and they didn't win. The proof has been in the pudding in recent years. We've all heard about fires in the guts etc but we still fail. Hopefully next year they'll get it right but that is a long way away and there's no guarantee to even make finals. A good opportunity wasted.

David C said:
North didn't win against any odds last night, Sydney were crippled and on that venue would have been easy picking for any well coached side (and North are coached far better than Sydney or us).

We probably would have beaten that Sydney side last night given the match-ups and having a side better suited to that ground.

I still expect both travelling sides to get defeated next week against rested Perth teams that haven't travelled much for a while now.

Sydney were favourites. North had a late change with a key player injured in warm up that they had to deal with too.

What you expect has no relevance to my comment you quoted and responded to David. No matter if both Vic teams lose as you expect they've still done far better than us, finals and grand final wise, many times over since our last premiership.

rosy23 said:
I think that would go without saying. Pity they didn't do a bit more to achieve those expectations.
We fell short on the day but I believe any suggestion that is because of a lack of desire or determination or that north wants it more than we do is incorrect. There are lots of reasons why teams lose football matches.

CarnTheTiges said:
I expect them to be gutted. We are. It's just that we keep hearing this and nothing ever seems to change it.
yes but so what ? My post wasn't about that.

This suggestion that because we have lost 3 in a row and the players have been disappointed each time that somehow we don't want to hear they are disappointed anymore doesn't make sense to me. It's seems to be suggesting that by being pleased they are disappointed I am saying that being disappointed is enough but it isn't saying that at all.

I want them to win next time as well but I also want them to be disappointed and I am very glad that they are.

rosy23 said:
Weird question Sin. Why ask if I'd like them to be happy? I haven't even mentioned how they feel let alone taking a guess at it. It's fact they didn't do enough to achieve their expectations. Not too many played at their best and they didn't win. The proof has been in the pudding in recent years. We've all heard about fires in the guts etc but we still fail. Hopefully next year they'll get it right but that is a long way away and there's no guarantee to even make finals. A good opportunity wasted.
I quoted your post by mistake. I was replying to CTT's post.

I just find the attitude to disappointed players quite strange. I want them to be disappointed , I want them to be very very disappointed. I am told by a player's relative they are.

That they need to back this up with performance is a self evident fact but that has to start with disappointment and an acknowledgement that the team underachieved.

Sintiger said:
We fell short on the day but I believe any suggestion that is because of a lack of desire or determination or that north wants it more than we do is incorrect. There are lots of reasons why teams lose football matches.

Do you think we had the right mind-set, determination and intensity on the day?

Sintiger said:

This suggestion that because we have lost 3 in a row and the players have been disappointed each time that somehow we don't want to hear they are disappointed anymore doesn't make sense to me. It's seems to be suggesting that by being pleased they are disappointed I am saying that being disappointed is enough but it isn't saying that at all.

I want them to win next time as well but I also want them to be disappointed and I am very glad that they are.
Fair enough. I'm just fed up to the back teeth with hearing this each and every time it happens and then they come out on the day promising to set it right and embarrass themselves and us all over again.

rosy23 said:
Do you think we had the right mind-set, determination and intensity on the day?
I can't be certain because I am not a player on the field but they seemed very determined and had a high level of intensity to me.

Mind-set ? That could mean lots of things. Maybe what they lacked was belief or maybe they were just out played and outcoached.
CarnTheTiges said:
Fair enough. I'm just fed up to the back teeth with hearing this each and every time it happens and then they come out on the day promising to set it right and embarrass themselves and us all over again.
I am not fed up with it at all because the alternative is definitely not what we want

Sintiger said:
I can't be certain because I am not a player on the field but they seemed very determined and had a high level of intensity to me.

Mind-set ? That could mean lots of things. Maybe what they lacked was belief or maybe they were just out played and outcoached. I am not fed up with it at all because the alternative is definitely not what we want
What's the alternative? The alternative to me is to win the game thus removing the problem in the first place.

Sintiger said:

Mind-set ? That could mean lots of things. Maybe what they lacked was belief or maybe they were just out played and outcoached.

OK. DH seems to disagree going by his comments about the game.

CarnTheTiges said:
What's the alternative? The alternative to me is to win the game thus removing the problem in the first place.
We lost the game, that's a fact. I want the players to be disappointed and they are. That's a tick for me.

I want them to do something about it but I will have to wait until next season for that one.

rosy23 said:
OK. DH seems to disagree going by his comments about the game.
I think you are taking those comments far too literally. To suggest we somehow lost the final because we weren't determined enough is just nonsense imo. Grimes hit on Higgins, Edwards desperate tackle on Cunnington in the last etc etc. They had a red hot crack all day.

We were just out played in the end and Dimma will hopefully acknowledge he was at times out coached.

The mindset part is a bit more subjective because it seemed to me on the day we weren't consistent and sure about when to go fast and when to go slow which lead to errors that probably lost us the game. Maybe that is belief, maybe it is coaching

Sintiger said:
We lost the game, that's a fact. I want the players to be disappointed and they are. That's a tick for me.

I want them to do something about it but I will have to wait until next season for that one.
So we are in the same spot as we were 2 years ago.

Disappointed. Hurting. Waiting.

David C said:

Agree. If North lost last night it would have been as big a choke and lost opportunity as our experience last week. Sydney were there for the taking. Undermanned understrength. And the fact that so few of the Swans supporters turned out says to me they knew Sydney was a half chance at best of pulling off the win.

tigertim said:
So we are in the same spot as we were 2 years ago.

Disappointed. Hurting. Waiting.
Do you think the list is now better or worse TT? Was our draw in 2013 an easy one to get the 15 wins that year ?

What goes through the mind of Sydney supporter when it comes to a final at Homebush?
Oh marvellous we are in the finals for about the 10th time in 11 years sure but it's the last game we get a game in Sydney for this year and probably last chance to see our greatest player since... Er no one because we don't know anything about the South days, but gee we don't like going to a ground in the Inner west, it's all of 14 km from the CBD, and we can't go down to Paddington straight after the match so it's really not worth the trouble going out to provide any support for the boys they'll be ok. Just head out for a quick Thai, then a wine bar, or two hopefully catch a glimpse of the scores as we pass by one of those corner pubs that still have a Reschs ad on the wall, and we can think about a little sojourn south Next weekend, because if the boys get through North we will be playing the last Saturday of September and we all know that's when the Grand Final is played.

Apologies this thread has been accidentally locked. Open for business again.

Happy the Hawks won. Go Kangas tonight. Massive ask just the same.