ROUND 1 Richmond V Carlton Game Day Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

ROUND 1 Richmond V Carlton Game Day Thread

frawleyudud said:
Deledio - Another wasted year waiting for this guy to be the next superstar. Will cruise through games not getting a touch when the heat is on, and once the season is well and trully over(i know, i know it already is) he will start racking up pointless possesions and win another B&F. I'd honestly look at trading him at years end.

Tambling - See Deledio. Woeful. Might have to switch psychiatrists

Edwards - Woeful. Bye bye at end of year

Simmonds - I honestly prefer Graham lumbering around then this useless piece of meat. Cannot remember once seeing this guy use his size even against opponents. Plays like he is wearing high heels.
Newman - Worst captain by a very big margin. Didn't realise he was playing till the last qtr!!!
Knew it was going to be a very long year, but i honestly expected a little more determination.

Here here.

Got to agree with Tuby, for all the hype about new game plans, new coaches, new players I wasn't necessarily expecting a win, but some decent defensive efforts.

Lost count in the first quarter of the times Carlton players were 10+ metres in the clear and it didn't get better all night.

Really didn't see much of a standout at all from RFC.

On the new guys:

Farmer didn't do anything much.

Congrats to Nason for his first goal in AFL but didn't do much else.

Martin got better the longer the game went on but missed a few targets.

Roberts needs to put in better when he doesn't have the ball, but on tonight's performance that pretty much applies to most of them.

To the experienced guys, the best message Hardwick could do is dump half a dozen of them to the Burgers next week for the next transformation.

The biggest disappointment was the lack of the so called defensive aspect of our game plan. Non existent for the majority of the night.

Ah well the hype of rd 1 is over, now onto next week.

mb64 said:
I will,why on earth did we retain him?

I just shook my head off at his efforts tonight Mb. What he brings to the side is only his size and he just doesnt use it. Otherwise he just bemuses me as to what he is doing out there. Even in the ruck if you watch him, he continually watches what his opponent is doing instead of trying to be bloody proactive himself - has done for years. Dont get me wrong i didnt think we would get up tonight but what i saw tonight didnt inspire me what so ever. I agree as well on what some others have said about some of our other better players. Same old same old.

wayne said:
I think it's fair to say we allowed Carrazzo to get the ball.
40 times, no less. Very sporting of us.

We also let Scotland, Mclean, Simpson, Houlahan, Russell, Bower, Murphy, Gibbs and Thorton have it over 20 times each as well. A cunning plan if I ever seen one.

They need flair. Riewoldt has it, Connors has it. No-one else does. They're all too f**ken timid and play like they're expecting to get beat.

Speaking of Riewoldt, tried his heart out up forward and was constantly triple teamed. He was one of our best and will be a very good player. Needs help though, I dunno how you can go into a game with just 1 designated tall up forward. Post should've played.

What was the deal with Morton off the ground at the start of every quarter?

Oh thats right, no room for him in our star studded forward line.

But Barnzy , the Postman has spent all season learning the defensive caper, they couldn't just swing him forward now. I'm definitely bemused by the elevation of Polak, and then not selected as the other big body up forward. We're told that's why he was elevated.

Anyhoo onto Rd 2.

Barnzy said:
Agree with all but those 2. Thomson was better than I expected him to be, was one of our better midfielders tonight. Farmer tried all game, is a beauitful kick, makes the right decisions and generally defends pretty well. Considering the amount of the times the ball went down into the forward line he was good. Think he will play most games this year as he has good upside.

For those p!ssed off and angry, dunno how you could not look at the line-ups and not expect this? Sure a few poor performances from senior players (Tambling, Deledio, Newman to name a few) but lots of good signs out there tonight I thought. Was always going to be a long year.

I have to agree with you Barnzy, thought Thomson was alright and still has upside. I did think Farmer could have been better though.

After all, its the first game of the season and this is all about development and for Hardwick to see for himself who is worth playing and who may be potential trade bait to GC and West Sydney (if there is any value at all that is).

All of the players made mistakes tonight. I thought Nason showed something and Martin will be a gun.

Some of the most worrying stats from the Hun site ...

* Carlton had 137 possessions more than us.
* Carlton earned 665 more Supercoach points
* Carlton had 10 players score more than 100 Supercoach points. Our highest score was 85 (Connors)
* Our two ruckmen combined for 14 possessions. Carlton's ruckmen combined for 32.
* Our captain had 11 possessions. Theirs (a stand-in) got 40.
* Our efficiiency with the ball was 67%, Carlton's was 78%.
* We had 12 players with less than 13 possessions. Carlton had 5.
* Despite so much more of the ball, Carlton had only 1 more clanger than us.

It's probably a small wonder that we were within 10 goals in the end. :-[

wayne said:
They need flair. Riewoldt has it, Connors has it. No-one else does. They're all too f**ken timid and play like they're expecting to get beat.

ask Brett Deledio what he thinks of his flair!

Tubytiger said:
I just shook my head off at his efforts tonight Mb. What he brings to the side is only his size and he just doesnt use it. Otherwise he just bemuses me as to what he is doing out there. Even in the ruck if you watch him, he continually watches what his opponent is doing instead of trying to be bloody proactive himself - has done for years. Dont get me wrong i didnt think we would get up tonight but what i saw tonight didnt inspire me what so ever. I agree as well on what some others have said about some of our other better players. Same old same old.
Spot on Tuby,I actually thought we'd go close tonight.

The scariest part of it all was that our emergencies were Polak, Polo and White. 3 of the biggest turn over merchants. Damn this is really going to be an ugly year. Best we hibernate till 2012 and hope something has improved.

evo said:
40 times, no less. Very sporting of us.

If it was a tactic to let Carrazzo get the ball numerous times, I have no problem with that, he is a terrible kick.

But most of the time he got to tumble a helicopter kick to a guy 30 metres in the clear.

i was at the game..and saw what i expected to see..in fact we were not as atrocious as last year,so thats a positive,im not feelin that dissapointed for some reason.
.....i heard david king say at half time that the richmond football club cannot change to suit tambling..at the end of the game he said tamblings position was on the line this year..i get slagged off everytime i bag tambling on this site..but tonight his endevour to even get into the game was hopeless//worst player on the ground..he made no real efort at anty point to get in and get the ball....simmo and edwards need to go to.....bring on the kids..

CK said:
What was the deal with Morton off the ground at the start of every quarter?

Oh thats right, no room for him in our star studded forward line.

Bizzarre, wasn't it. The only guy that looked dangerous apart from Rooey and he is on the bench.

i guess they had to make room for the ever dangerous Edwards.

I don't feel pissed off, disappointed, surprised or annoyed with anybody.

I saw what I expected to see from the usual suspects (Newman, Simmonds, Jackson, McGuane, Moore) and I was pleased with the application and ability of the newbies. Nason especially. Thought Martin worked his way into the game, saw some good signs from Roberts, Thompson surprised me a bit, Cotch looked smooth though not brilliant. Cuz got through the game ok.

Some solid building blocks there. Just need to knock down that old infrastructure and underpin a bit!

hopper said:
Some of the most worrying stats from the Hun site ...

* Carlton had 137 possessions more than us.
* Carlton earned 665 more Supercoach points
* Carlton had 10 players score more than 100 Supercoach points. Our highest score was 85 (Connors)
* Our two ruckmen combined for 14 possessions. Carlton's ruckmen combined for 32.
* Our captain had 11 possessions. Theirs (a stand-in) got 40.
* Our efficiiency with the ball was 67%, Carlton's was 78%.
* We had 12 players with less than 13 possessions. Carlton had 5.
* Despite so much more of the ball, Carlton had only 1 more clanger than us.

It's probably a small wonder that we were within 10 goals in the end. :-[

Don't worry Hopper, I'm sure it will improve against the Dogs.

Nason looked good, had a couple of howlers but was always giving a contest. Kicked well i thought. Roberts also looked good. Problem is Deledio, Newman, Tambling, Simmonds were deplorable. Really looked like b grade footballers tonight.

I actually thought that was the best game Jackson has ever played. Only turned it a couple of times, and the comical out on full of course. Constantly put in. 6/10