ROUND 1 Richmond V Carlton Game Day Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

ROUND 1 Richmond V Carlton Game Day Thread

I was happy with Jackson (kept Gibbs quiet for 3 quarters), Riewoldt, Nason's 1st half, and Cotchin's 2nd half.

thejinx said:
Tackles don't mean sh!t unless they disposess the opposition, or put enough pressure on the ball handler to compromise their disposal.

Tambling may have laid a heap of tackles, but I haven't noticed any of his tackles doing any of the above.

exactly..many of his tackles have no impact..the carlton still managed everytime to move the ball on

I don't agree in respect to Simmonds. He basically had to ruck the whole game. The problem wasn't with Simmonds per say, it was coming in with a team way too short. I think we should have played one of Graham or Browne alongside Simmonds as it is evident that Vickery just isn't ready. There were times when Simmonds was actually rucking against both Kreuzer and Warnock. Simmonds did what I expected him to do whilst our younger ruckmen gain experience, and that's to compete against the opposition without necessarily winning the night. Very unfair for what is a very tough position. I did expec maybe Vickery to be a little more supportive but maybe asking a bit too much at this stage. The fact of the matter is we had a whopping 137 less disposals, 70 less marks, almost 20 less tackles. Simply we didn't work hard enough as a team. We can single out players but you don't see those sort of stats because of a couple of players, it is a team mentality. it's a young side, we'll learn from that, and we will progress.

So the positives on the night? Well I think Connors is finally coming of age. A talent that last year many were feeling would be lost, hopefully he can continue with that sort of form. Martin, well he's gonna be a good one. Really amassed possessions in the 2nd half when the heat had come off the game a bit. Still going to need alot of time to adjust to the pace but is ready for it. Takes a pretty strong body to knock Jackson around (pity about the friendly fire). Speaking of Jackson, you cant complain too much about his game tonight. A couple of messy decisions as he inevitably does each game but overall very solid. Cotchin showed signs again although he did look a little slow at times but got through the game which is a great bonus with his limited preparation. Cousins looked underdone as well and the run would have done him good.

So where do we eed to improve? Where do we start? Tackling still needs work. That play where Houlihan ran around 4 Richmond players is just not on. Look at those hips and go for them. Running game seemed pretty non existent. I think this is evidenced partly by the possession count and also goal assists (13 to Carlton, just 2 to Richmond). Kicking out from behinds still seems to be a problem. Defensively we have no run. Look at the equivalent defensive disposals. pressure on their backline players was also terrible. And the forwards, well you cant play Reiwoldt and Morton as your 2 talls, it just aint going to happen. Post or Polak had to play. Would it have mae a difference? Maybe not much to the score but at least it keeps a tall defender honest.

Anyway on the end yes quite disappointedthat we didnt put up a better show, especially considering, against the tide we were still in the ball game for quite a while even in the third quarter, but the reality is, we have alot of learning to do and the possibility was always there that we would get a bit of a belting on the scoreboard.

Danog said:
I was happy with Jackson (kept Gibbs quiet for 3 quarters), Riewoldt, Nason's 1st half, and Cotchin's 2nd half.

Jackson defintely wasn't our worst but Gibbs did have 23 touches and 2 goals.

Danog said:

I agree with Jakson. Gibbs picked up some easy kicks in the last quarter basically cheating by hanging back and not chasing.

the golden said:
on tv it is a bit delayed was only 20 odd points when i posted that found out after i posted taht that it was a touch different still not a 100 point thrashing is it ?

Yep we're ecstatic when we lose by 56 points. It's all good at Tigerland.

geoffryprettyboy said:
Our defence is not up to it.

Understatement of the year GPB. Our backline is total garbage. Geez we are gonna have some MASSIVE scores kicked against us. This current backline is right up there with the likes of Laffy, Leys, Manton etc from the late 1980s.

The key backs, McGuane, Moore and Thursfield, are all undersized, have poor skills and are pushed of the ball way too easily.

Our small backs like Edwards are too light, make dumb decisions and have poor skills. This is gonna be even worse than I thought.

Carlton had more players at the contests, hit the contests and ball with pace and worked it out well.

We fumbled, bumbled and made a mockery of this sport and fools of ourselves.

At least the chips were nice.

Backline will always look bad when the opposition have 130 more disposals - with the ball getting pumped in the 50 time after time.

Our midfield got bent over by Carltons tonight.

Barnzy said:
Agree with all but those 2. Thomson was better than I expected him to be, was one of our better midfielders tonight. Farmer tried all game, is a beauitful kick, makes the right decisions and generally defends pretty well. Considering the amount of the times the ball went down into the forward line he was good. Think he will play most games this year as he has good upside.

For those p!ssed off and angry, dunno how you could not look at the line-ups and not expect this? Sure a few poor performances from senior players (Tambling, Deledio, Newman to name a few) but lots of good signs out there tonight I thought. Was always going to be a long year.
Well said Barnzy.

CK said:
Backline will always look bad when the opposition have 130 more disposals - with the ball getting pumped in the 50 time after time.

Our midfield got bent over by Carltons tonight.
Agreed. While there was plenty to be disappointed about tonight, this was the worst aspect for mine. Not only did Carlton's onballers attack the contested pill better than us but they also executed better skills under pressure. They put the ball to their teammates advantage while we seem to think the ideal place to receive a handball is at the ankles.

Further, Carlton had a system for getting the ball at the centre bounces. Watch out for the one bloke who must be 5m defensive side of the circle. Means they know at all times where at least one teammate is. Hardwick and Lade should have been wise to this, I guess they are learning their own caper too.

Rfc4Ever said:
Jackson defintely wasn't our worst but Gibbs did have 23 touches and 2 goals.
Gibbs was actually tagging Deledio. Says alot about how Deledio went tonight.

CK said:

Actually inside 50s was 57 to 45. Previous 2 games against CArlton they went inside 50 56 times and 62 times. Fairly average number of inside 50s actually, its more about the lack of pressure when they kicked inside 50. It's not a great backline though, cant argue too much. I cant see all of Thursfield, Moore and McGuane being our finals hungry key backline into the future. I think the club knows it and is one reason they are keen to groom Post as a backman rather than a forward.

No matter which way you look at it - tonight was a poor effort. 4 first gamers all showed something but the more experienced players were very poor. I've been a supporter of Tambling, but a poor game again next week and he should be out. Should be left on wing and see what happens - doesn't seem to have a position which has been the case since he started.

Try as they might Hislop, McGuane, Thomson etc are never going to be polished enough to take us anywhere. Our defenders don't defend well and give no run or precision skills from the back half. Many others had dreadful games - Edwards (he was more valuable for Carlton than us); Nahas; Newman.

Team structure was a joke - what brainless Match Committee picked a team without a second key tall, especially against tall opposition on a night perfect for high marking? Post has to be played as second key tall forward. One of Griffiths or Astbury has to be tried as a third option as soon as they get some fitness & form up at Coburg. If we're going to re-build, then out with the never take us anywhere players as soon as possible.

Kicking skills were still appalling - has to be zero tolerance to players who continually turn it over this year.

people people, with all our new players they were bunnies in the headlights for the 1st 20 minutes.

they were jumped early, they were able to claw back into the game and then tired due to the boys being smaller bodied. i thought that was expected...

For those that said they didnt see any difference in game style, weren't at the game. i thought there was a significant difference in the way they played as far as a plan went.. Was really good to see them able to keep the Carlton backs stuck kicking across the ground and caused a few good turnovers.

i do have a questions though.. Does Lids want to play at Richmond? When is his contract up?

We went in far to short, we were smashed in the ruck.. i am still sticking to my view of Vickery. i thought Hislop did ok, which is a bit different from most people. They missed quite a few tackles which may have been due to them being to worried about other jobs.. who knows but that needs to stop.

Its going to take a while but i do expect them to improve as the year goes on, we have some good signs and theboys showed that they can score quick when it all works.

shamekha said:
i thought Hislop did ok, which is a bit different from most people.

I agree, especially in the first half. Worth perservering with for the time being.

shamekha said:
people people, with all our new players they were bunnies in the headlights for the 1st 20 minutes.

i do have a questions though.. Does Lids want to play at Richmond? When is his contract up?

Just signed a 3 year deal so you would think so.

shamekha said:
i thought Hislop did ok,

Mate, as much as i respect your posts, this has to be one of your poor one's.

Hislop is not up to it, full stop. Hardwick should banish him to Coburg and never come back.