Ricky Petterd | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ricky Petterd

Is so up & down. But Pettard is doing what he does, tries hard but when he is off is just terrible.

I can handle one of him. But you can't have eight of them and we do.

He tries and a good team guy and goes hen its his turn. Must only play deep forward pocket otherwise he is a danger to us if he gets the ball upfield in fact a disaster.

SCOOP said:
Is so up & down. But Pettard is doing what he does, tries hard but when he is off is just terrible.

I can handle one of him. But you can't have eight of them and we do.

About right. Felt sorry for him with those couple of shockers but it always makes me nervous when he gets the ball dep in defence. We need to try him forward. Lack of speed and too many suspect users down back at the moment.

highlighted as no good yesterday.

I cannot beleive the excitment when players of Petterds ilk play well against teams like the lions, only to be exposed against the top sides.

Needs to go at the end of the year. Should never have been recruited in the first place

He goes okay against the poorer opposition, but gets found out against the good sides. He'll always be this way. Should be moved on at year's end or marked depth only. I don't see why they couldn't have kept him on as a rookie this year as well.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Team-oriented player who makes a lot of errors.

That's it I think L2R2R. And the problem is we have 6 or 7 who like him, make a lot of errors by foot. I actually don't mind Petterd, and it's a broader indictment on our so called 'moneyball' policy that most of our mature aged recruits aren't good kicks.

St Kevin said:
That's it I think L2R2R. And the problem is we have 6 or 7 who like him, make a lot of errors by foot. I actually don't mind Petterd, and it's a broader indictment on our so called 'moneyball' policy that most of our mature aged recruits aren't good kicks.
Yeah there is generally a reason why they're considered 'money ball' players in the AFL and not kicking well is a good one. I do wish Damian would go back to the 'can't kick' line through them mantra that he adopted when he first took over. Lack of skills, composure and smarts is part of the reason we're struggling at present and Petterd is a prime example of that.

While i don't think he should be getting a game for us, the simple fact is that he played his entire footy at the Dees as a forward that could create some smart goals. He actually had a really good patch of games at the Dees in which he would turn games for them. Why do we then have to turn him into another bloody defender!!! Sign his as a forward and play his as a forward.

If our coaches had half a clue i would have tried Riewoldt, Pettered and Banfield in the forward line. Really should have upgraded Miles and Banfield!!!

CarnTheTiges said:
Yeah there is generally a reason why they're considered 'money ball' players in the AFL and not kicking well is a good one. I do wish Damian would go back to the 'can't kick' line through them mantra that he adopted when he first took over. Lack of skills, composure and smarts is part of the reason we're struggling at present and Petterd is a prime example of that.

I think they are maintaining that mantra with the draft picks (Martin, Ellis, Conca, Vlastuin, Lennon, McBean, McDonough) are all above average kicks who can be very damaging. The problem is the 'can't kick' line doesn't appear to apply to the mature aged pickups.

frawleyudud said:
While i don't think he should be getting a game for us, the simple fact is that he played his entire footy at the Dees as a forward that could create some smart goals. He actually had a really good patch of games at the Dees in which he would turn games for them. Why do we then have to turn him into another bloody defender!!! Sign his as a forward and play his as a forward.

If our coaches had half a clue i would have tried Riewoldt, Pettered and Banfield in the forward line. Really should have upgraded Miles and Banfield!!!

Never saw him play as defender at Melbourne either.
They have NO idea.
As soon as he went forward he took a very good contested mark against Gibson. Play him in the forward line for just one week.
Have you ever seen Jarrod Rivers play forward??

The problem is this.

Pettard (and not just Pettard, there's Grigg, Thomas, Gordon and the like) are rarely if ever, paid any respect by the opposition. These guys are not discussed during the week by the opposition, "how do we stop Pettard", yeah right!

Hence Pettard's game against Brisbane, no one cares if he gets it 30 times so long as Cotchin is restricted. Grigg similarly! These guys can't hurt you, they have fundamental flaws that just won't allow for it.

Watch carefully, more often than not when Pettard gets the ball in the centre (with time) he will opt for the safe 30m chip sideways over the low percentage drill into the forward 50. It's just confidence, the confidence that only comes when you can trust your foot. Pettard, Grigg, Thomas.....they simply don't have the hoof......can't do it!

Watch Ellis, undoubtedly been down on form this year (and largely because he's acknowledged by oppositions as someone that needs to be guarded) but he WILL generally look and opt for the more difficult entry inside 50 (or further up the ground for that matter). Sure, greater risk but much better chance of converting an inside 50 entry into a score. The problem is further accentuated (and it seems somewhat an instruction) by kicking to the pockets, the kill the contest across the boundary/retain possession inside the 50m arc/reset for the stoppage.........Hardwick just doesn't get it, we will always have plenty of inside 50 entries but converting these to scores will always be difficult.

What's worse is when we play a better side, ala Hawthorn. Nothing changes in respect to their pre-game plans....stop Cothin, double team Jack, mind Ellis/Martin...however, they have speed, structure and an intuitive game plan that applies pressure and provides little time for the ball carrier. Quite bluntly, this is when the likes of your Pettards etc are embarrassed, why? Because they simply don't have the tools. It's particularly prevalent with all our "money ball" players and more often than not, it's the very reason why we find them at Richmond.

That's not to say our strategy was wrong. Grigg for Collins was an excellent upgrade. Houli from Essendon has been a success. Maric was huge. However, there is a balance and I feel we have crossed that line in the last year or two. Unlike Maric/Houli/Grigg......Pettard, Gordon, Lioyd, Thomas, Edwards, Orren....these guys were basically destined for the football scrap heap. There is very little likelihood that they can provide the "step up" to make you better year on end.

It undoubtedly worked last year, the strategy got us to the finals. But right now, they've got to realise that Pettard, Thomas, Orren (even Hampson) are depriving others of development. No way Madonna should have been dropped after Round 1.....that's just coaching for the here and now!

Richmond needs to adopt a one step back, two steps forward approach. Might be a bitter pill, but the sooner they realise they're not serious contenders and the expectation of finals is extinguished....Hardwick might be more inclined to use the Lennons & Madonnas, or those that do have the necessary skills to step up each year.

I might add, it's not Pettards fault. He genuinely gives his all and it's obvious he tries to play to instruction (probably why the coach loves him). Unfortunately, he's just not up to it, doesn't have the skills and can't step up to the required level.

lisamaree said:
The problem is this.

Pettard (and not just Pettard, there's Grigg, Thomas, Gordon and the like) are rarely if ever, paid any respect by the opposition. These guys are not discussed during the week by the opposition, "how do we stop Pettard", yeah right!

Hence Pettard's game against Brisbane, no one cares if he gets it 30 times so long as Cotchin is restricted. Grigg similarly! These guys can't hurt you, they have fundamental flaws that just won't allow for it.

Watch carefully, more often than not when Pettard gets the ball in the centre (with time) he will opt for the safe 30m chip sideways over the low percentage drill into the forward 50. It's just confidence, the confidence that only comes when you can trust your foot. Pettard, Grigg, Thomas.....they simply don't have the hoof......can't do it!

Watch Ellis, undoubtedly been down on form this year (and largely because he's acknowledged by oppositions as someone that needs to be guarded) but he WILL generally look and opt for the more difficult entry inside 50 (or further up the ground for that matter). Sure, greater risk but much better chance of converting an inside 50 entry into a score. The problem is further accentuated (and it seems somewhat an instruction) by kicking to the pockets, the kill the contest across the boundary/retain possession inside the 50m arc/reset for the stoppage.........Hardwick just doesn't get it, we will always have plenty of inside 50 entries but converting these to scores will always be difficult.

What's worse is when we play a better side, ala Hawthorn. Nothing changes in respect to their pre-game plans....stop Cothin, double team Jack, mind Ellis/Martin...however, they have speed, structure and an intuitive game plan that applies pressure and provides little time for the ball carrier. Quite bluntly, this is when the likes of your Pettards etc are embarrassed, why? Because they simply don't have the tools. It's particularly prevalent with all our "money ball" players and more often than not, it's the very reason why we find them at Richmond.

That's not to say our strategy was wrong. Grigg for Collins was an excellent upgrade. Houli from Essendon has been a success. Maric was huge. However, there is a balance and I feel we have crossed that line in the last year or two. Unlike Maric/Houli/Grigg......Pettard, Gordon, Lioyd, Thomas, Edwards, Orren....these guys were basically destined for the football scrap heap. There is very little likelihood that they can provide the "step up" to make you better year on end.

It undoubtedly worked last year, the strategy got us to the finals. But right now, they've got to realise that Pettard, Thomas, Orren (even Hampson) are depriving others of development. No way Madonna should have been dropped after Round 1.....that's just coaching for the here and now!

Richmond needs to adopt a one step back, two steps forward approach. Might be a bitter pill, but the sooner they realise they're not serious contenders and the expectation of finals is extinguished....Hardwick might be more inclined to use the Lennons & Madonnas, or those that do have the necessary skills to step up each year.

I might add, it's not Pettards fault. He genuinely gives his all and it's obvious he tries to play to instruction (probably why the coach loves him). Unfortunately, he's just not up to it, doesn't have the skills and can't step up to the required level.

Hardwick is currently playing 10 lemons, why bring in more :rofl

lisamaree said:
The problem is this.

Someone's been paying way to much attention n thinking to hard about football. Much easier to stick with the Dud delist, instead of trying to understand and explain what's going on.

Great post LisaMaree.

Our role players now add nothing different to the side. Just more one-paced foot soldiers who lack skill.

It's a major bug-bear of leysy's.

Hardwick obviously likes these types. But they are going to end his coaching career.

lisamaree said:
The problem is this.

Bang on. Just bang on. And it goes further up the line then just the moneyball types. It flows all the way up to those that have been on list a long time but haven't got better. Great post.