Ricky Petterd | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ricky Petterd

SupremeTiger said:
Thats the problem we have too many players that need upgrading:

1 Chris Newman
10 Shane Edwards
11 Jake Batchelor
13 Ricky Petterd
15 Chris Knights
19 Matt Thomas
27 Aaron Edwards
28 Jake King
32 Brad Helbig
37 Orren Stephenson
41 Nathan Foley

And that's my point, people are so preoccupied with sledging Petterd that they fail to see the bigger picture. Just about every player on that list deserves more scrutiny than Petterd, yet week after week we hear the constant sniveling about Melbourne rejects and unco kicking styles. Quite frankly, I find it boring and repetitive but have conceded that this is more about personal dogma than it is about onfield performance. I can even recall Ricky having a 100% DE one day yet all people could do was talk about his awkward ball drop. Let's face it, people would sooner have Stephen Morris butchering the ball week in, week out, than have a guy who ticks plenty more boxes when it comes to football talent.

SupremeTiger said:

1 Chris Newman
10 Shane Edwards
11 Jake Batchelor
13 Ricky Petterd
15 Chris Knights
19 Matt Thomas
27 Aaron Edwards
28 Jake King
32 Brad Helbig
37 Orren Stephenson
41 Nathan Foley
4 of them are currently in the starting 22. If we only need 4 players upgraded we are doing pretty well.

Every club has a list like this. It's quite often the clubs who can get the most out of their version of this list who do well.

It's pretty simple with Petterd. Right now he is in our best 22, if he loses his spot so someone better then that's fine. It hasn't happened yet.

bullus_hit said:
And that's my point, people are so preoccupied with sledging Petterd that they fail to see the bigger picture. Just about every player on that list deserves more scrutiny than Petterd, yet week after week we hear the constant sniveling about Melbourne rejects and unco kicking styles. Quite frankly, I find it boring and repetitive but have conceded that this is more about personal dogma than it is about onfield performance. I can even recall Ricky having a 100% DE one day yet all people could do was talk about his awkward ball drop. Let's face it, people would sooner have Stephen Morris butchering the ball week in, week out, than have a guy who ticks plenty more boxes when it comes to football talent.
This is not just a personal swipe at Ricky, it just points to the fact that we have a lot of holes to fill to become a top 4 side.
players like the ones listed and some others that were not in the list, I am sure all put thier heart and soul into playing for the jumper within thier capabilities.
My swipe is to the coach who has fallen into the same trap as previous coaches and filled the list will servicable guys instead of quality guys.
This is partly due to us wanting success quickly and the coach wanting to be seen that we are progressing forward.
But unfortunately it's going to lead to yet another rebuild at some point.
I hope I am wrong but there are no quick fixes in this game, quality is far better than quantity.

SupremeTiger said:
This is not just a personal swipe at Ricky, it just points to the fact that we have a lot of holes to fill to become a top 4 side.
players like the ones listed and some others that were not in the list, I am sure all put thier heart and soul into playing for the jumper within thier capabilities.
My swipe is to the coach who has fallen into the same trap as previous coaches and filled the list will servicable guys instead of quality guys.
This is partly due to us wanting success quickly and the coach wanting to be seen that we are progressing forward.
But unfortunately it's going to lead to yet another rebuild at some point.
I hope I am wrong but there are no quick fixes in this game, quality is far better than quantity.

Ricky was a rookie pick who had age on his side, what more do people want from the rookie draft?

SupremeTiger said:

1 Chris Newman
10 Shane Edwards
11 Jake Batchelor
13 Ricky Petterd
15 Chris Knights
19 Matt Thomas
27 Aaron Edwards
28 Jake King
32 Brad Helbig
37 Orren Stephenson
41 Nathan Foley

most of the guys on this list are out of contract at the end of the year
But I don't think clearing them out changes our position on the ladder at all
What wins games against Hawthorn geelong and Collingwood is 100% effort all game by ALL of our players across the ground. They all need to lift, run harder, tackle, make better decisions, and lift their skills. It's a team game and guys like Petterd Grigg and all the usual blame names will look great when we play well as a team and win.
We should work the word TEAM into the Tigerland song

bullus_hit said:
Ricky was a rookie pick who had age on his side, what more do people want from the rookie draft?

He'd already be in the top 10% of all rookie picks of all time if judged on actual output.

Baloo said:
He'd already be in the top 10% of all rookie picks of all time if judged on actual output.

First real contributor since Nahas, given the stick he cops on here you'd think he was a top ten pick.

Does anyone know what the outcome of that Brisbane player who tried to tackle him in the last quarter was? Petterd used his body to slam into the player and rip out of the tackle. The Brisbane player was holding his shoulder low and looked in a bad way. It's the advantage of having a player with a mature body in the side. Given all the bash and crash people have been advocating I thought they would have approved of that. I still think that Ricky will be upgraded and that he makes too many errors overall (although his stats for Thursday are very good), but for the moment until someone else can mature and prove that they've arrived he'll fill a need.

SupremeTiger said:
Exactly right, just ask yourself would this guy get a gig with the Hawks, Freo or Geelong?
I think we would all agree it would be a resounding NO!!! to that question.

Every Club has a few FFS. Why people think other Clubs "duds" are better than our own I'll never know. Try these on for size:

Hawthorn: Spanger and Cheney

Fremantle: Pearce and Dawson

Geelong: Rivers and McIntosh

Granted with Geelong it's a little harder because their recycles seem to hit the mark a bit better. All of these would cop curry if they were at the Tiges I'm tipping.

CarnTheTiges said:
Does anyone know what the outcome of that Brisbane player who tried to tackle him in the last quarter was? Petterd used his body to slam into the player and rip out of the tackle. The Brisbane player was holding his shoulder low and looked in a bad way. It's the advantage of having a player with a mature body in the side. Given all the bash and crash people have been advocating I thought they would have approved of that. I still think that Ricky will be upgraded and that he makes too many errors overall (although his stats for Thursday are very good), but for the moment until someone else can mature and prove that they've arrived he'll fill a need.
Think that was little Taylor and no I don't know the outcome initially he looked very sore. Good little player Taylor

Every team has a few spare part players.

Petterd can play off HB or HF or on a wing.
And, he's in the team in that role because no one else does it better.

Until we find better, Petterd serves this purpose well.

Played some very good games for Melbourne, crippled by his lower leg injuries. Kid can play, just ran out of luck/Patience at Melbourne. Does have very wonky kicking style though.

Just on Petterd , he did neally die after a collapsed lung early on in his career, reckon it takes a fair bit of ticker too play with the courage he does after that...

The Petterd debate is over in my view, he is valuable defensively and in contested situations, and he's stays within his limitations with the football.

The only possible reason not to have him in the team is if you valuable style over substance, because Ricky is the opposite.

CC TIGER said:
Never been as happy as I was too see the cleaning out of the number 26 locker last October

not unhappy to see him leave either, was surprised he got picked up by North.

I wasn't a huge fan of the junior Petterd - scratchy type, but I liked the way he ran onto the ball.

At Melbourne he played, was it year two?, small FP, by year four it was tall FP. He could get some serious air. He is the same size as Newman and would destroy a young Newman at any athletic contest.

I've seen him fail on the park through doubt. It can happen. I've seen him sacrifice.

His kicking gets better with match practice. I like Houli a lot. Petterd will be at least that good IMO.