Ricky Petterd | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ricky Petterd

st.francis said:
You're the goose in a perfect world petterd becomes a champion

Ha ha you little blind boy
Ha ha

You've still missed the point dirt slinger

Don't remember mentioning Petterd in my post mate. Was a general comment about blokes like yourself who probably have wet dreams about the dirt you can sling at AFL footballers who obviously make your day every time they have a little stuff up you can use to bleat endlessly to the world for some self satisfaction.

No player is perfect and no player ever doesn't make mistakes. Every club had c grade players on in their side every week. Think you missed the point sailor.

bullus_hit said:
Blah, blah, blah. Two mistakes for the night and that's all you can talk about. It's impossible for some to like Petterd, I think we all get that, but the hyperbole just doesn't match reality. He was in our best half dozen last night, he was in our best half dozen a couple of weeks ago. On both occasions he stood tall when others didn't, and low and behold, we won those matches. Like others, you simply won't give him an inch, he's a dud whatever he does, he is the new whipping boy much like Jackson was a couple of years ago. It's just so predictable and boring hearing the glass half empty commentary week after week. How about saving the criticism for those who actually struggled against the 'sub-standard mob'?

Ive never bagged Jackson. And i didnt form an opinion on Rick P because of 2 blunders - but they are relevant examples of poor decisions.

I do not think this bloke plays well enough against good teams for someone of his experience. You bring up the Carlton game, mainly for one spoil. Another poorly performed oppostion.
I do not doubt his endeavour, but looking to the future with him is not the answer.
He has history, it is not all about two clangers, but they were a pretty bad a good example of what a senior player should not do, as regularly as he does.

Lets see how he manages the next fortnight.

No.6 is the other bloke who I criticise, for different reasons to Petterd.

Bullarto Tiger said:
You make a number of good points, Bullus.
I, guess, for me it's more about the fact that Petterd has been in the Tigers "best half dozen".
I acknowledge that he has at times been a useful contributor this season, yet it is the notion that being in the Tigers best six tends to imply, in my opinion, that the Tigers will struggle to take the steps required to join the elite tier of the AFL.
I don't deride Petterd the man or the player. It is more about a reality check on where the Tigers really are at when a player of Petterd's calibre is in the top tier of performers for the team.

I'd love to be fielding a Goddard or Enright in Petterd's position, maybe that day will come in the form of Lennon or McIntosh. What I simply cannot fathom is how this thread gets the most hits week after week like Petterd is some sort of trojan horse infecting the club with mediocrity. He played well, give the guy a break, credit where credits due.

bullus_hit said:
I'd love to be fielding a Goddard or Enright in Petterd's position, maybe that day will come in the form of Lennon or McIntosh. What I simply cannot fathom is how this thread gets the most hits week after week like Petterd is some sort of trojan horse infecting the club with mediocrity. He played well, give the guy a break, credit where credits due.

Agree that credit is due where it due and that Petterd has been a contributor. Also agree that if every one of the 22 players that enter the field game time equalled his endeavour then the Tigers would be a more formidable opponent than it has been largely displaying this season.
Would rather that Petterd were in the Tigers bottom six selected than the top six. If that were the case it would suggest the Tigers were/are in a much stronger position.

Merveille said:
I do not think this bloke plays well enough against good teams for someone of his experience. You bring up the Carlton game, mainly for one spoil. Another poorly performed oppostion.

This is yet another example of playing down his contributions, I suppose the 6 votes he received from both coaches was simply due to a couple of spoils? Seriously, I get that saying something positive about Petterd is hard for some, but when he plays well there's no need for the snipey commentary about how poor the opposition were. There were plenty of others who either made more mistakes or were complete passengers. I mentioned Morris and his 8 clangers before but still not a peep from anyone. This is what I'm talking about when I refer to whipping boys, all the hallmarks are there, seems nothing has changed around these parts.

bullus_hit said:
This is yet another example of playing down his contributions, I suppose the 6 votes he received from both coaches was simply due to a couple of spoils? Seriously, I get that saying something positive about Petterd is hard for some, but when he plays well there's no need for the snipey commentary about how poor the opposition were. There were plenty of others who either made more mistakes or were complete passengers. I mentioned Morris and his 8 clangers before but still not a peep from anyone. This is what I'm talking about when I refer to whipping boys, all the hallmarks are there, seems nothing has changed around these parts.

Agree again with you, Bullus, Morris does deserve to be questioned about and challenged for his place in the side moreso than Petterd. You can also throw Grigg and Edwards into that mix as well.

bullus_hit said:
Blah, blah, blah. Two mistakes for the night and that's all you can talk about. It's impossible for some to like Petterd, I think we all get that, but the hyperbole just doesn't match reality. He was in our best half dozen last night, he was in our best half dozen a couple of weeks ago. On both occasions he stood tall when others didn't, and low and behold, we won those matches. Like others, you simply won't give him an inch, he's a dud whatever he does, he is the new whipping boy much like Jackson was a couple of years ago. It's just so predictable and boring hearing the glass half empty commentary week after week. How about saving the criticism for those who actually struggled against the 'sub-standard mob'?
I think he had more than 2 mistakes ( I know AFL has him for 2 clangers though) and I stand to be corrected but the unofficial count was he was directly involved in 3 goals for Brisbane. Yes he got a lot of the ball and tried hard and did some nice things but his lack of composure is telling IMO.

tigertim said:
I think he had more than 2 mistakes ( I know AFL has him for 2 clangers though) and I stand to be corrected but the unofficial count was he was directly involved in 3 goals for Brisbane. Yes he got a lot of the ball and tried hard and did some nice things but his lack of composure is telling IMO.

So Champion Data have him down for 2 clangers but they are wrong are they? I suppose his 82% DE is also just an imaginary number? Or are we now going to trot out the stats lie argument?

bullus_hit said:
So Champion Data have him down for 2 clangers but they are wrong are they? I suppose his 82% DE is also just an imaginary number? Or are we now going to trot out the stats lie argument?
I acknowledged the clanger stats. Grigg has a high DE too.

bullus_hit said:
This is yet another example of playing down his contributions, I suppose the 6 votes he received from both coaches was simply due to a couple of spoils?

Interesting. When asked who was best after Cotchin, it was hard to nominate someone over 4 qtrs. Then I thought Petterd went the closest. Then I read this thread and wondered what some people were watching.

tigertim said:
I acknowledged the clanger stats. Grigg has a high DE too.

The difference being Petterd wins his own ball, often under intense pressure. He won 13 contested possessions compared to Grigg's 6. He also kicked a nice goal and kept us in the game when the chips were down. Of course none of this will matter because it's become a national sport to focus on his mistakes, whether he plays well or not is clearly irrelevant.

Usual crap, sack a player simply because he is not one of the select few anointed as holy by the masses. Not a pure or pretty footballer but a hard working arse busting utility who can patch in virtually all over the ground and do a job. Easily among our best four or five players over the entirety of the game, but sack him anyway.
Perhaps when a few more highly credentialed superstars consistently out perform him, or some whizz bang juniors tear the arse out of the ressies, we can feel justified in sacking him.
Until then maybe we should just be satisfied that he performs his tasks to the best of his ability and accept that unlike some who are praised from the benefit of beer goggles or unadulterated lust, that Petterd is simply a decent player instead of the resurrection personified.

TigerMasochist said:
Not a pure or pretty footballer but a hard working arse busting utility who can patch in virtually all over the ground and do a job.
This is exactly what he is. Virtually every team has a couple of journeymen. We have many, but at least he is a journeyman who can play several roles. He is earning his spot. Many more to dispose of prior to Petts.

Silent Bob said:
This is exactly what he is. Virtually every team has a couple of journeymen. We have many, but at least he is a journeyman who can play several roles. He is earning his spot. Many more to dispose of prior to Petts.

Agree. He has a clearly defined role, jack of all trades and is playing well. Of all our so called 'battlers' he'd be the one most likely to get a game in a top 4 side imo.

Just imagine how much stronger the Tigers would be if Petterd was rated in the the team's bottom six as opposed to the top six as he currently is?

Bullarto Tiger said:
Just imagine how much stronger the Tigers would be if Petterd was rated in the the team's bottom six as opposed to the top six as he currently is?
Diggler would go broke, no-one would be booking his caravans for September holidays.

TigerMasochist said:
Diggler would go broke, no-one would be booking his caravans for September holidays.

And surely, TM, Diggler wouldn't mind foregoing the revenue for a couple of years if it correlated with the Tigers being successful in Septmber.

bullus_hit said:
The difference being Petterd wins his own ball, often under intense pressure. He won 13 contested possessions compared to Grigg's 6. He also kicked a nice goal and kept us in the game when the chips were down. Of course none of this will matter because it's become a national sport to focus on his mistakes, whether he plays well or not is clearly irrelevant.
Relax bully, I have a slight difference of opinion, that's all. I get your frustrations when people just continually bag someone no matter what. That's why I left the political thread. >:D