Ricky Petterd | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ricky Petterd

has the worst kicking action in the league. It's like a soccer goalie when they flick it up to the side when kicking.

nikolasmia said:
Keeps getting critisised but keeps being in our top 3 players.

I am a fan

Keeps being in our top 3? Easy tiger he only played against the Brisbane Lions under 19's side last night.

I'll be watching in anticipation over the next two weeks.

tbartiger said:
Yeah it's tough to understand how he keeps getting games isn't it?

Would be ahead of Grigg, Shed, Newy, TV, Chappy etc. And probably a few kids too (but I am happy to play them)

Yep. He's unfashionable, but he's been a pretty good pick up.

st.francis said:
Play the kids to save your place
Ummm! Astbury, Griffiths, Grimes, Gordon, Lloyd, Arnott, McDonough. All young and very inexperienced footballers, all have played during our five matches so far this year. Or perhaps you want to insist on us playing any kid available regardless of form or capacity to play at AFL level. Some youngsters do need a bit of time at the lower levels to develop their bodies and match skills without just being thrown in and hoping they survive.

TigerMasochist said:
Ummm! Astbury, Griffiths, Grimes, Gordon, Lloyd, Arnott, McDonough. All young and very inexperienced footballers, all have played during our five matches so far this year. Or perhaps you want to insist on us playing any kid available regardless of form or capacity to play at AFL level. Some youngsters do need a bit of time at the lower levels to develop their bodies and match skills without just being thrown in and hoping they survive.

Keep on being humiliated watching the same pooh
Do what the dogs did get rid of the fre loaders and duds and keep looking at your list
Not playing musical chairs with the same rubbish that continue to come short in real games
We've beaten 17 and 18th get a reality check. Short term playing of list cloggers: sacked coach plus another attempted rebuild
We haven't done a realistic rebuild since 1982. It's all been half arsed for an average of one finalappearance approx every ten years
Go through the history books the pattern is blatantly obvious
Even obvious to the ignorant let alone the gullible

Another good game from Ricky, he made two blunders but who didn't? Once again, people can only focus on his mistakes. Every week the same boring old criticism of his kicking action gets raised, yet he had an 80% DE last year and ran at 82% last night having amassed 28 touches and 18 kicks. Much like the Carlton game, he stood up when the rest looked liked rank amateurs, Cotch included.

For those who keep referring to Ricky as the barometer for our bad recruiting, you really need to get a clue. Why does he keep getting a game? Because he performs more often than not. Simple really. The Hardwick favourites line is wearing thin, he plays because he puts his body on the line and does plenty of the tough stuff. I find it bordering on perverse that a player like Morris, who is inferior to Petterd on many levels, doesn't seem to attract nearly the same level of criticism. Why? He had 8 clangers last night to Petterd's 2. Please enlighten me because I feel I'm watching football in a parallel universe.

Agree on both counts.

Petterd works hard, puts his body on the line and gets plenty of the ball.

Steve Morris sails under the radar and has stunk it up regularly this year.

I agree as well but my point is we are going nowhere with the massive inclusions of poorly skilled footballers on our list
We could carry one or two we have at least ten on our list
Remember we've beaten two sides who are yet to win a game

st.francis said:
I agree as well but my point is we are going nowhere with the massive inclusions of poorly skilled footballers on our list

Thanks for the heads up. I had forgotten.

I don't reckon Petterd is the problem. In fact, he's the least of our problems. He should be our 17th or 18th best player. Every club needs these. The issue we are facing is that many of the 16 or 17 who should be better than him (Vickery, Edwards, Ellis, Conca, Dusty, Grimes, Chaplin, Newman) have gone backwards this year for reasons I do not understand. Add to this the fact that Rance, Lids and Maric have missed some games.

Is it as simple as confidence? I desperately hope so and we find it next weekend.

st.francis said:

And if it wasn't for Petterd's contribution we wouldn't have beaten Carlton either. If you want to break it down, we are stuggling because many of our supposed stars simply aren't performing to the level we know they are capable of. Leveling blame at the blue collar guys is completely missing the point IMO.

bullus_hit said:
And if it wasn't for Petterd's contribution we wouldn't have beaten Carlton either. If you want to break it down, we are stuggling because many of our supposed stars simply aren't performing to the level we know they are capable of. Leveling blame at the blue collar guys is completely missing the point IMO.
No you missed my point
I never said Petterd shouldn't be getting a game
I said it tells you were we are at as a club injury or no injuries if Ricky is getting a game
I agree we have a lot of players down but most of them are b graders at most
You haven't named them so I can't comment
We need to be realistic on last nights game it was an eyesore and an indictment on the game

st.francis said:
No you missed my point
I said it tells you were we are at as a club injury or no injuries if Ricky is getting a game
We need to be realistic on last nights game it was an eyesore and an indictment on the game

Mate you are a deadset goose. Every club and I mean every club has players who are c graders in their best 22. Quite often they are considered better because of the quality of teammates.

News for you too, every player in the afl and I mean every player makes errors of some type during a game of football.
I don't know what you expect. The world isn't perfect and never will be, especially for someone with the pessimistic side of life clearly dominating your view of life especially Richmond. Lighten up pal.

shawry said:
Mate you are a deadset goose. Every club and I mean every club has players who are c graders in their best 22. Quite often they are considered better because of the quality of teammates.

News for you too, every player in the afl and I mean every player makes errors of some type during a game of football.
I don't know what you expect. The world isn't perfect and never will be, especially for someone with the pessimistic side of life clearly dominating your view of life especially Richmond. Lighten up pal.

You're the goose in a perfect world petterd becomes a champion

Ha ha you little blind boy
Ha ha

You've still missed the point dirt slinger

shawry said:

Ricky P plays ok against a sub-standard mob and the defenders are out.

He still managed several shocking clangers which teams like Cats and Hawks do not put up with on a regular basis. This club has to aspire to those heights which means getting the youth in and not putting up with Petterds mistakes - imagine those mistakes on the big stage? You just cannot do it.

He needs to back up last nights positives against the cats and hawks, less the hirrendous goal costing mistakes, for me to want him in the team.

That does not make me a goose pal.

st.francis said:
No you missed my point

All teams play ugly when they have lost their confidence and their key playmakers are down on form. Win ugly a few times and the confidence returns. At least I saw the run and carry return in the last half last night. it just clicked during the game and players started to run. Good signs for me and I don't care who it was against. I remember the tigers used to play teams into form when we were no good - hopefully the lions have done it to us.

Merveille said:
Ricky P plays ok against a sub-standard mob and the defenders are out.

He still managed several shocking clangers which teams like Cats and Hawks do not put up with on a regular basis. This club has to aspire to those heights which means getting the youth in and not putting up with Petterds mistakes - imagine those mistakes on the big stage? You just cannot do it.

He needs to back up last nights positives against the cats and hawks, less the hirrendous goal costing mistakes, for me to want him in the team.

That does not make me a goose pal.

Blah, blah, blah. Two mistakes for the night and that's all you can talk about. It's impossible for some to like Petterd, I think we all get that, but the hyperbole just doesn't match reality. He was in our best half dozen last night, he was in our best half dozen a couple of weeks ago. On both occasions he stood tall when others didn't, and low and behold, we won those matches. Like others, you simply won't give him an inch, he's a dud whatever he does, he is the new whipping boy much like Jackson was a couple of years ago. It's just so predictable and boring hearing the glass half empty commentary week after week. How about saving the criticism for those who actually struggled against the 'sub-standard mob'?

bullus_hit said:
Blah, blah, blah. Two mistakes for the night and that's all you can talk about. It's impossible for some to like Petterd, I think we all get that, but the hyperbole just doesn't match reality. He was in our best half dozen last night, he was in our best half dozen a couple of weeks ago. On both occasions he stood tall when others didn't, and low and behold, we won those matches. Like others, you simply won't give him an inch, he's a dud whatever he does, he is the new whipping boy much like Jackson was a couple of years ago. It's just so predictable and boring hearing the glass half empty commentary week after week. How about saving the criticism for those who actually struggled against the 'sub-standard mob'?

You make a number of good points, Bullus.
I, guess, for me it's more about the fact that Petterd has been in the Tigers "best half dozen".
I acknowledge that he has at times been a useful contributor this season, yet it is the notion that being in the Tigers best six tends to imply, in my opinion, that the Tigers will struggle to take the steps required to join the elite tier of the AFL.
I don't deride Petterd the man or the player. It is more about a reality check on where the Tigers really are at when a player of Petterd's calibre is in the top tier of performers for the team.