Ricky Petterd | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ricky Petterd

Well, that's probably a fair call, bully. But we all have our outbursts. It's part of the fun.

On Petterd, his kicking has always been scratchy. But unlike most with this deficiency he improves dramatically with match practice. The great strength of his game is that he knows where the ball is going, not just in the air but where it will fall. And he gets there. He's a footballer.

Dyer'ere said:
Well, that's probably a fair call, bully. But we all have our outbursts. It's part of the fun.

On Petterd, his kicking has always been scratchy. But unlike most with this deficiency he improves dramatically with match practice. The great strength of his game is that he knows where the ball is going, not just in the air but where it will fall. And he gets there. He's a footballer.

wind was a little flukey last night Capitano. Petterd was better than most at reading the flight.

if he remembers to play within his limitations he should play 10-15 games. I'd like to see him scrap it out with Newman for a position. McDonagh I would give free reign over 10-12 games.

Petterd's leap to spoil the ball through and prevent a Carlton mark, in the last minute or so, was hugely brave and effective - and possibly game saving. What you would hope for from an AFL level player - and he delivered. Capped off a pretty good night for Ricky.

Carter said:
wind was a little flukey last night Capitano. Petterd was better than most at reading the flight.

if he remembers to play within his limitations he should play 10-15 games. I'd like to see him scrap it out with Newman for a position. McDonagh I would give free reign over 10-12 games.

I reckon Pet-tard is in our best eighteen, Carts. Not to say Madonna can't force his way back into the team.

I cannot understand the debate about Pettard, I thought he was great and stood up when others stopped. I think I have to rematch the tape closely to understand where the negativity comes from. Pettard does seem to have replaced Dan as the 'we can't be a good player if he's in the 22' whipping boy.

The criticism of him does remind me of the heat that comes to all players who have ugly kicking styles, IMO people are more forgiving of a good looking shanker than a mongrel punter that hits the target.

Col.W.Kurtz said:
The criticism of him does remind me of the heat that comes to all players who have ugly kicking styles, IMO people are more forgiving of a good looking shanker than a mongrel punter that hits the target.

Chris Newman?

Hugo said:
Just watching replay. 12.30 left in 2nd quarter, we have all the momentum leading 53-17. Pettard receives ball on HFF and Hampson is 10m clear of opponent leading to top of 50. Pettard misses the 25m pass by about 10m. He was not under pressure. Carlton kick the next goal less than a minute later. Pettard hits that pass and Hampson converts (distance may have challenged) and we are 59-17 - I reckon that breaks them. At the time I thought this better not be the Houli moment from last years EF. Almost was.

I gave Pettard votes and love his committment but he must make that kick.

The scum would still come back even if we were 10 goals up, Richmond must take sleeping pills during the break, or more than likely majority of player who played Rnd 21 and EF final last year internalises thought process. *smile* we are in front again by 5 + goals blues are gonna come out and over run us.

Dyer'ere said:
Chris Newman?

Sure, imagine if Pettard or Jackson had bone-headly put the ball OOB like old balls did when he should have handpasaed to Houli? But you could pick a better paid player than Newy.

Col.W.Kurtz said:
Sure, imagine if Pettard or Jackson had bone-headly put the ball OOB like old balls did when he should have handpasaed to Houli? But you could pick a better paid player than Newy.

Heh heh. Geriatrics should be Soylent Greened, Colonel.

Dyer'ere said:
Heh heh. Geriatrics should be Soylent Greened, Colonel.
Hmm dining out on the old n decrepit.

Luckily Petterd isn't old n decrepit yet, worked his freckle off to help save the game for us in that nightmare last qtr.

Maybe with the good reports on Petterd on the RFC web site today, maybe, just maybe, he will no longer be one of the whipping boys, some on here love to give heaps to.

sorry Petterd is not taking us to the next level
delist asap just another of dimmers dark knights clogging up arnotts spot or another amazing junior we have waiting in the wings
getting out of the tiger team is harder than getting into it yet our results against pies nort cats suns blues show that we haven't gone anywhere
new life is needed not duds that melb delisted

graystar1 said:
Maybe with the good reports on Petterd on the RFC web site today, maybe, just maybe, he will no longer be one of the whipping boys, some on here love to give heaps to.

Seems to be a fave of Dimma's and certainly justified that against the scum. Was immense in that last quarter. Has his faults, including the awkward ball drop/ kicking action but I'd hazard his spot is relatively safe at least until we have guys performing in the magoos consistently. I'd love to see a younger guy take his spot, but Ricky has been good these early stages of the season

Col.W.Kurtz said:
I cannot understand the debate about Pettard, I thought he was great and stood up when others stopped. I think I have to rematch the tape closely to understand where the negativity comes from. Pettard does seem to have replaced Dan as the 'we can't be a good player if he's in the 22' whipping boy.

Yep. It is hard to like a player who might send you inside 50 multiple times but every time there is a high floaty wafty indirection to the kick. We remember the finish more than we remember what went on before it.

the-DH Band said:
delist asap just another of dimmers dark knights clogging up arnotts spot or another amazing junior we have waiting in the wings

You need to pull your head out of the comic books and start watching the football, Arnot does not play in Petterd's position and nor do we have any amazing juniors ready to replace him. Less fantasy and more fact please. I'm starting to think that 'DH' stands for something other than Damian Hardwick.

bullus_hit said:
You need to pull you head out of the comic books and start watching the football, Arnot does not play in Petterd's position and nor do we have any amazing juniors ready to replace him. Less fantasy and more fact please. I'm starting to think that 'DH' stands for something other than Damian Hardwick.

Yep. His ability to play multiple roles will continue to get him a game. We do not have many players like him. Is earning his spot.

bullus_hit said:
You need to pull your head out of the comic books and start watching the football, Arnot does not play in Petterd's position and nor do we have any amazing juniors ready to replace him. Less fantasy and more fact please. I'm starting to think that 'DH' stands for something other than Damian Hardwick.
our dreams of tiger success will never eventuate if duds like petterd are on the list
why cant the biscuit play his role? turning the ball over, dropping easy marks, letting players easily run off you .these are easy to do.

the-DH Band said:
our dreams of tiger success will never eventuate if duds like petterd are on the list
why cant the biscuit play his role? turning the ball over, dropping easy marks, letting players easily run off you .these are easy to do.

Last time I checked we hadn't played finals football for 12 years prior to Petterd's arrival, so your comments are once again grounded in fantasy. As for Arnot playing the role of utility, I think most astute judges would find that statement to be a tad bit far fetched. The two guys who could feasibly replace Petterd are Lennon & McIntosh, they are not ready yet. If they eventually make way for Ricky then all good and well, but until that eventuates we go with the best available.

Weather Pettard is good enough for a Premiership team only time will tell ;D, can understand to a certain extent *smile* been thrown at a player that doesn't appear to be givin 100% but Pettard definatly can't be questioned in that area, may not be super pretty, but IMHO is playing more then handy in a couple of roles and stood up when it mattered last week....I'm not convinced yet that anyone is demanding Ricky place in the team off him, hopefully that happens, for the time been I'd rather him out there then a few others