Ricky Petterd | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ricky Petterd

Barnzy said:
Defensively he's great. Skills are not AFL standard.

Nothing has changed.

Nope, you got that right. Win, lose or draw some supporters seem intent on immersing themselves in negativity. Lighten up, we one a hard fought game and Petterd delivered when everything was on the line. I really don't know what people expect from rookie picks but the consistent glass empty criticism makes me think that some would be happier to lose than see their whipping boys contribute to our success. Personally I can understand why many decide to move on from PRE, the negativity is fast becoming a cancer.

Petterd always gives everything. He's good in the air, has great hands and some poise at ground level. His use by hand can be as good as anyone's bar Lids'. He's hard and he runs. His kicking ain't always great but the ledger is weighted on the positive side. He's in our bottom six, around 20-25 on the list I reckon.

Petterd gets there. On the night we had plenty who didn't. Big names.

And that pack crashing spoil was inspiring. He got his chance and he took it.

Have backed this lad before and will continue to do so. Am stoked we had Ricky tonight in and not any of the other dozen or so names that are being thrown out there every weekend. Gave it everything and saved us a couple of times in that last qtr. I agree no the most fashionable, but in our best 22.

I thought he was very good last night.

His kicking was ok but he is hard as a cats head and that was very important late in the game

WesternTiger said:
Sorry bully this is where you are wrong. Don't think I have bagged the guy at all since he has been on the list. I said he was good in the last 5 minutes. Just found tonight that his kicking was more miss than hit, so where his hands and decision making.
You said he was good in the last 5 mins. Agreed.
But you also said he was bad apart from the last 5 mins. That's harsh.
I thought he was quite good most of the game.

For all the talk of poor footskills he did no worse than a few of his teammates. Chaplin has turned the ball over a heap this year when under no immediate pressure (which I'm pleased to see people recognizing this in the Chaplain thread)? Conca over-hit a couple simple passes which would have had us kicking into F50, but instead resulted in turn-overs in the corridor. I'm sure there were others as well, including Cotch who were either making poor choices or failing to execute at various stages during the night.

He was close to best on ground for us in the last quarter hitting a number of contests really hard. He displays the type of spoiling intensity and technique that our blokes like Rance and Chaplain often lack. Even if you are not quite going to get into a position to spoil, make them earn it.
Not enough of our blokes do that. This guy does.

IMO if he continues to do that job than he will continue to get a game.

I'm a Petterd basher ... I appologise. Whilst he has this awkwardness about him, he just kept putting his body in the right spots and made some crucial spoils.

No more "Out: Petteerd" post for a while now.

Tiger Pops said:
I'm a Petterd basher ... I appologise. Whilst he has this awkwardness about him, he just kept putting his body in the right spots and made some crucial spoils.

No more "Out: Petteerd" post for a while now.

Exactly....him Thomas and jake king were the three who throw their bodies around ....my three favorites last night

Grigg however was his usual lazy lame soft self.....

arlobill said:
Exactly....him Thomas and jake king were the three who throw their bodies around ....my three favorites last night

Grigg however was his usual lazy lame soft self.....

Not wanting to 'bash' him but I just couldn't believe it when Grigg did the whole 'corralling' think again. The Scum player got his kick off and I think it ended in a goal... and yes, he had plenty of time, an opportunity, to lay a tackle.

WesternTiger said:
The point I made earlier that most things he was involved in tonight went to sh!t.
Agree he butchered the ball for most of the night and then miraculously came good for 5 minutes.
LIST CLOGGER DELIST
Doesn't have the skills to play for A RFC who are attempting to play finals 2 years in succession.Develop kids please
Last night was a repeat of last years game except we beat a team of duds who are going nowhere.
our reject players are poorly skilled and gutless excluding THOMAS who is a gun
Dimma finally got one after 5years of digging

K3 said:
Not wanting to 'bash' him but I just couldn't believe it when Grigg did the whole 'corralling' think again. The Scum player got his kick off and I think it ended in a goal... and yes, he had plenty of time, an opportunity, to lay a tackle.

On the wing ... Right in front of us ... Grigg jogged up to Thomas who had the ball and then stopped , waved a arm and Thomas had a lazy kick into the fowRd square for a goal .... Grigg is exactly the sort of player we do not need

I've always viewed Petterd as an AFL standard player and everyone who says we'll never get to a GF with Petterd in the side are probably right. It means however, if he gets pushed out, that we have 22 good AFL players running about. He is an excellent benchmark this year for the RFC wannabes :pinnochio

the-DH Band said:
Agree he butchered the ball for most of the night and then miraculously came good for 5 minutes.
LIST CLOGGER DELIST
Doesn't have the skills to play for A RFC who are attempting to play finals 2 years in succession.Develop kids please
Last night was a repeat of last years game except we beat a team of duds who are going nowhere.
You should watch the whole game with an open mind. Like Griff, Petterd did make a few mistakes. Also like Griiff, he also did some very good things.

Just watching replay. 12.30 left in 2nd quarter, we have all the momentum leading 53-17. Pettard receives ball on HFF and Hampson is 10m clear of opponent leading to top of 50. Pettard misses the 25m pass by about 10m. He was not under pressure. Carlton kick the next goal less than a minute later. Pettard hits that pass and Hampson converts (distance may have challenged) and we are 59-17 - I reckon that breaks them. At the time I thought this better not be the Houli moment from last years EF. Almost was.

I gave Pettard votes and love his committment but he must make that kick.

the-DH Band said:
LIST CLOGGER DELIST

This is the type of irrational absurdity that gets on my goat. Petterd came to the club last year, prior to that we had not played finals for 12 years. So to suggest he's costing us finals opportunities is complete and utter hogwash. Ricky also played very well against Carlton in last years elimination final, something which is conveniently ignored by the chicken little brigade. Reading through this thread is fast becoming comedy for the ages, we've had knuckleheads tear him down straight after registering 100% disposal efficiency, only to later bleat that stats don't matter. We've had people calling for his head when he's in fact been out injured and we've had people constantly claim he's symbolic of Richmond's 30 years of mediocrity. Memo to all the wannabe coaches and armchair critics, he's a rookie pick for FFS, he's done his job and will probably continue to do so for a couple of years yet. And be bloody thankful he helped us get over the line last night, the importance of which is clearly lost on some.