Ricky Petterd | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ricky Petterd

HandyTiger said:
Kicks in the arse don't always have lasting benefits - same old same old.

was pretty unconvincing sat night. I dont mind him for depth, but needs to be out of our best 22.

Ricky is depth at best. We'll be a better side when he only comes in because someone else is injured. Panics when the pressure is on in defence and I still can't get that kick for goal against Essendon in the last H&A game last year out of my head. Dusty gift wrapped that one with an absolutely beautiful kick and then Petterd messes up the finish. Even at the time the commentators said things like that will discourage a player with Martin's skills from actually sharing it around and that's not good for anyone.

Leysy Days said:
Leysy really struggles to see a future for this guy.

Sure he puts his head over it and has excellent second efforts, thats about it though and sorry it aint enough.

Is slow and a poor kick. With the assets & negatives the rest of our side possess, as a role player he doesn't bring to the table anything different the side needs.

Should be replaced ASAP ILO.

He's a Dimma favourite, but leysy expects this to wear off soon & be lucky to be on the list come 2015.

Which one's getting harder? Patsy riding on Hislop or Bully riding on Petterd. ;D

Suck it up people he is here to STAY!! Part of Dimma's Dynamos. His name along with Houli, Grigg, Vickery, SEdwards to name a few are written with Permanent marker on the white board.

frawleyudud said:
Suck it up people he is here to STAY!! Part of Dimma's Dynamos. His name along with Houli, Grigg, Vickery, SEdwards to name a few are written with Permanent marker on the white board.

I actually dont disagree with some of the names u mention but Houli has earnt his spot by hard work, gut running and precision foot skills....

TigerForce said:
Which one's getting harder? Patsy riding on Hislop or Bully riding on Petterd. ;D

For a rookie pick I think I've been well and truly vindicated, he did play well in a final last year and despite a patchy first hit out he will probably line-up next week as well - 20 touches and a goal hardly deserves such ridicule. And despite your constant lecturing, I have never claimed that Petterd is the second coming of Jesus, just a very astute rookie pick, something that has alluded for 5 years.

The Hislop comparison is just a cheap shot - how many games did he play for us?

Leysy Days said:
He's not playing back much Bully. More midfield so not sure of your comparisons in 2014.

We've already got Chaplin, Rance, Astbury, Houli, Martin, McDonough and Morris back there. But if we really need another guy who is OK overhead.

- Grimes for one.
- Move Newman back there - will give us more than Ricky. We can then get some much needed pace into the front half.
- Ellis' is still best suited to half back ILO.

All these guys should get first gig to replace say McDonough before Ricky for leysy, or to get an extra number if they go that way.

The biggest issue leysy see's with our side ATM are our role players not adding a different dimension to the side. On that score & with his (pretty big ILO) limitations Petterd is an ideal guy to changeup to make our team more dangerous.

all good and well if these other players up the ante, he has his flaws but he also brings some versatility to the table, obviously Dimma concurs otherwise he wouldn't be named week in, week out. I have no problem in improving the list but Petterd is clearly in the best 22 at the moment.

bullus_hit said:
For a rookie pick I think I've been well and truly vindicated, he did play well in a final last year and despite a patchy first hit out he will probably line-up next week as well - 20 touches and a goal hardly deserves such ridicule. And despite your constant lecturing, I have never claimed that Petterd is the second coming of Jesus, just a very astute rookie pick, something that has alluded for 5 years.

The Hislop comparison is just a cheap shot - how many games did he play for us?

Geez Bully boy, I'm only mucking around on you being adamant on Petterd and Disco08 on Hislop. Where's my constant lecturing?

Said it before, the best we can make use of Petterd is in attack but it ain't happening.

TigerForce said:
Geez Bully boy, I'm only mucking around on you being adamant on Petterd and Disco08 on Hislop. Where's my constant lecturing?

Said it before, the best we can make use of Petterd is in attack but it ain't happening.

I would also like to see Petterd in attack, I've said it from day one. I've also been candid in my assessment of Petterd's limitations, but I can fully understand why we recruited him in the first place, he can play anywhere on the park and that's his appeal. If he finds himself on the outer then we are clearly progressing as a club, but at the moment he's one of our few bona fide utilities. If a Corey Enright falls into our laps I will be the first to call for Petterd's omission, but for now he's important to our structure.

The GC debacle was a pretty pathetic effort from most of the side, Petterd wasn't alone in an all-round disappointing performance. But he deserves some slack for now, if he follows it up with more of the same then his head should roll, much like the rest of the team. Barring Cotchin, Deledio & Hampson, I thought the team's performance was well below par. We can and must perform better against the Blues, everyone should be on notice.

bullus_hit said:
I would also like to see Petterd in attack, I've said it from day one. I've also been candid in my assessment of Petterd's limitations, but I can fully understand why we recruited him in the first place, he can play anywhere on the park and that's his appeal. If he finds himself on the outer then we are clearly progressing as a club, but at the moment he's one of our few bona fide utilities. If a Corey Enright falls into our laps I will be the first to call for Petterd's omission, but for now he's important to our structure.

The GC debacle was a pretty pathetic effort from most of the side, Petterd wasn't alone in an all-round disappointing performance. But he deserves some slack for now, if he follows it up with more of the same then his head should roll, much like the rest of the team. Barring Cotchin, Deledio & Hampson, I thought the team's performance was well below par. We can and must perform better against the Blues, everyone should be on notice.
Well said. He was serviceable but needs to lift, as does most of the team.

Still hasn't convinced me. Just don't think you play the percentages well when you try to pick up average performers from poor clubs.

Still trying to understand the decision in not only picking him up but then rushing to elevate from rookie list.

Only at RFC can you forge a career being a complete hack.

Hawthorn pick up guys like Gibson, Lake, Hale, Burgoyne and we get guys like Pettered, Lonergan, Miller, Grigg. ::) ::) ::)

frawleyudud said:
Still trying to understand the decision in not only picking him up but then rushing to elevate from rookie list.

Hawthorn pick up guys like Gibson, Lake, Hale, Burgoyne and we get guys like Pettered, Lonergan, Miller, Grigg. ::) ::) ::)

My theory is they think that the top 10 or 15 players are so good it really doesn't matter how mediocre the bottom 10 are. They can be comprised largely of recycled or delisted hacks, they'll still be carried by the good players in our team, all that really matters is that we got them for nothing. As for Petterd specifically, I struggle to think of another club that would actually have him on their list, in fact I can only think of one or two that might. Simply impossible to imagine him in a side challenging for a premiership.

frawleyudud said:

Apples and oranges. Hawthorn targeted and traded hard for all those players. Except for Grigg the ones that you've mentioned were rookie pick ups which cost the club nothing in terms of trade, they even came out on top in the Grigg deal, because Carlton got Andy Collins who unfortunately wasn't able to make it there.

CarnTheTiges said:
Apples and oranges. Hawthorn targeted and traded hard for all those players. Except for Grigg the ones that you've mentioned were rookie pick ups which cost the club nothing in terms of trade, they even came out on top in the Grigg deal, because Carlton got Andy Collins who unfortunately wasn't able to make it there.
It is not only about what you give up. You say we gave nothing to get them but in reality we did. A spot on our list. We are rewarding mediocrity. Club has almost done a complete 180 in regards to recruitement and are hell bent on using the rookie list solely for mature age players.

I am happy for the club to give something up as long as we get something that improves the side in return. All we have got out of it is serviceable players that have added zilch to the team in regards to pushing for a Premiership. Hawthorn added players that are actual premiership material. We have added list cloggers. You honestly think blokes like Grigg, Pettered, Miller, Houli are premiership material?

We have almost gone down the path of the Frawley days when we started recruiting hacks like Hudson, Fleming etc.

While Chapman is nearing retirement age i believe he could have been an invaluable addition as a bit part player. Having him in the fwd line in that last quarter against Gold Coast could no doubt been the difference.

Our team is screaming for leadership and mentally strong players yet we go out and recruit blokes like Grigg, Houli and Pettered. Why shouldn't Miles be playing ahead of Pettered? What was the rush to elevate Orren?

frawleyudud said:
It is not only about what you give up. You say we gave nothing to get them but in reality we did. A spot on our list. We are rewarding mediocrity. Club has almost done a complete 180 in regards to recruitement and are hell bent on using the rookie list solely for mature age players.

I am happy for the club to give something up as long as we get something that improves the side in return. All we have got out of it is serviceable players that have added zilch to the team in regards to pushing for a Premiership. Hawthorn added players that are actual premiership material. We have added list cloggers. You honestly think blokes like Grigg, Pettered, Miller, Houli are premiership material?

We have almost gone down the path of the Frawley days when we started recruiting hacks like Hudson, Fleming etc.

While Chapman is nearing retirement age i believe he could have been an invaluable addition as a bit part player. Having him in the fwd line in that last quarter against Gold Coast could no doubt been the difference.

Our team is screaming for leadership and mentally strong players yet we go out and recruit blokes like Grigg, Houli and Pettered. Why shouldn't Miles be playing ahead of Pettered? What was the rush to elevate Orren?
You make a couple of useful points. I'm not personally a fan of putting Petterd on the list. I don't see why he couldn't have remained on the rookie list, and I would have preferred to elevate someone like Miles rather than Stephenson, which I see as an overly cautious move, but I can see Grigg playing in a Premiership side. I know he's become PRE's whipping boy, but he picks up a lot of possessions and he's generally good a for a goal or two as well as the occasional assist. Houli is another one who has become a pretty decent player. He was off on Saturday, far too much handball, but he wasn't alone there. Generally the club has recruited to fill needs and they've looked to rookie list guys they don't think are quite up to a spot on the senior list. To compare the current recruiting to the unprofessional pick and hope (I'm sure they used a dartboard and blindfold to pick players) is doing the club a great disservice. Hawthorn haven't got every pick right either, no one does. The older rookie listed players generally have mature bodies and are there to provide coverage for the younger guys while they get physically used to the demands of an AFL career. The point about Chapman is exactly the sort of thing you say you're trying to avoid, picking someone who may or may not come off who will only be at the club for a short period of time. I believe recruiting Chapman would have been a mistake and a step backward.

frawleyudud said:

you forgot Kyle Cheney and Carl Peterson. and Cameron Bruce and Broc McCauley and Wade Skipper.
And of course Adam Pattison.

but besides those guys, you are right the hawks only pick up guns from other clubs.