Ricky Petterd | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ricky Petterd

Tygrys said:
What hysterical rant? you said it yourself, he is not a premiership standard player. We have had and continue to have lots of players that are not premiership standard players. So we go out and recruit another one? What's more a reject from Melbourne no-less? Is that helping a top eight finalist build to a premiership? I don't think so?

And no I don't have 'ridiculous' expectations of all the players on the list. Most rookies for never make it, but you never know? When Collingwood won the premiership a few seasons ago they had five players in the grand final team that graduated from their rookie list. Not mature rejects like Petterd but young players overlooked in the main draft. That's the difference, a young rookie still have the chance to be an A-grader, a mature mediocre player like Petterd will never get any better (and who was IMO very average yesterday). And true the last five years might not have been great for young rookies but this is a different Richmond now, both in terms of resources available for recruitment and development. Personally, I'd rather use our rookie spots for youth than cheap top-ups that ultimately will take us no-where. We can do better than Petterd and hopefully we will, the less we see of him in our starting 22 in 2014, the more progress towards a flag we'll be making.

more young players? you're joking surely, name a young rookie that we've drafted in the past 6-7 years that has made the grade. You'll be struggling my friend, we've been down that road many times and whilst it would be foolish to abandon that avenue altogether, our strike rate has been abysmal. As much as you will hate to admit it, Petterd has been our best rookie selection since Nahas all those years ago, sobering reality isn't it? And last time I checked, we hadn't made the finals in how many years? Now to criticise the bejesus out of a player who has contributed to our success this year is taking some cheap shots IMO. You along with many on this site have made Petterd a target, refusing to acknowledge even the slightest contribution. Maybe it's the scars of yesteryear, or maybe it's just ego at play. Some of the chest beating on here is well over the top.

And one final word, should we be delisting Batchelor and Dea because they were / are inferior to Petterd? Given Petterd is only 25, this surely isn't an age issue, maybe our selectors should all be sacked, along with Hartley who has done the unthinkable and actually got a rookie selection right.

for an ugly kick, i reckon he has hit more leading targets I50 over the last few weeks than most of the rest of the team.

No problem with Ricky being on the list for next year. You can't have 40 studs on the list. "List clogger" is one of the most over-used phrases in aussie rules. You're a list clogger if you're earning 400-500 grand, on a 3-4 year contract and border-line best 22 player.

Don't get the hate for Petterd, but then again I don't get the blind hate for people like D.Martin either. Ricky is a competitor and is able to play multiple positions, its no secret coaches like these types.

bullus_hit said:
more young players? you're joking surely, name a young rookie that we've drafted in the past 6-7 years that has made the grade. You'll be struggling my friend, we've been down that road many times and whilst it would be foolish to abandon that avenue altogether, our strike rate has been abysmal. As much as you will hate to admit it, Petterd has been our best rookie selection since Nahas all those years ago, sobering reality isn't it? And last time I checked, we hadn't made the finals in how many years? Now to criticise the bejesus out of a player who has contributed to our success this year is taking some cheap shots IMO. You along with many on this site have made Petterd a target, refusing to acknowledge even the slightest contribution. Maybe it's the scars of yesteryear, or maybe it's just ego at play. Some of the chest beating on here is well over the top.

And one final word, should we be delisting Batchelor and Dea because they were / are inferior to Petterd? Given Petterd is only 25, this surely isn't an age issue, maybe our selectors should all be sacked, along with Hartley who has done the unthinkable and actually got a rookie selection right.

Agree with much of this Bully - Petterd was a low risk rookie pick and has performed as admirably as we could've hoped for.

But I reckon Dea was a bit stiff. I would've liked him to have been given a chance rounds 3-10, when he was in terriffic form at Coburg.

Dea could've replaced Newman or Petterd on numerous occasions. Not sure if he would've been better, but surely he more of a long term prospect?

Carter said:
Agree with much of this Bully - Petterd was a low risk rookie pick and has performed as admirably as we could've hoped for.

But I reckon Dea was a bit stiff. I would've liked him to have been given a chance rounds 3-10, when he was in terriffic form at Coburg.

Dea could've replaced Newman or Petterd on numerous occasions. Not sure if he would've been better, but surely he more of a long term prospect?

Dea is just shy of 22, so he's not too far off Petterd who is 25. But your point about Newman is a valid one, fortunately there will be no more room for sentimentality, Dea should be given a full season to show his wares. I like Matty, I think there's something to work with, let's just hope he gets a decent chance next year.

I'm not a Petterd fan but I thought he was ok. Does better when he short passes, looks like he;s really trying hard to control the kick.

I assume when you promote a rookie you only have to give them a one year deal? Unlike drafting them and having to give the player a 2 year deal.

In any case well done Ricky in being promoted.

We're still a way off if this bloke gets a game. Shezzz
Avg at best doesn't improve our team in any way. He should have no spot in the team hopefully

Tigers of Old said:
Congrats on his deserved promotion to the senior list.
Agree hopefully he can get the body right over the pre season an finally get some continuity in his footy, doesn't lack any ticker in the air an could be more then handy fit

keepa lids onit said:
We're still a way off if this bloke gets a game. Shezzz
Avg at best doesn't improve our team in any way. He should have no spot in the team hopefully
Agree.

He played exactly like a bloke who has talent and was finding his way back from injuries. Hopefully his body stays right and he plays 22 next year. Don't have enough blokes on the list with his ticker and smarts. You would expect him to tidy up his disposal if he can stay on the park with some continuity.

Not sold on him, but think it's worth playing the percentages and keeping him and seeing what he can build up uninterrupted by injury. But if he breaks down again next year then we gotta let him go.