Ricky Petterd | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ricky Petterd

Agreed with Batchelor being *smile* and ultimately he was always going to be dropped.

I'll take my hat off to Petterd as he played very well today. That spot is his until Grimes gets back. I just don't trust Batchelor anymore. A shadow of his first year.

With Ricky, I think he's worked on that ball drop a bit. He seemed to caress it a bit better today.

I was ultra critical of pettard early this year and rightly so as his decision making was woeful and butchering the ball all to often but last night i thought he was one of our better players ran hard, took the game on, had 11 marks and also had 7 tackles, and those who r criticizing his ball use he wasn't to bad a few errors but cotchin who i luv and in our top 5/6 on the night fumbled the ball a lot and turned it over and martin who also was in our best 5 or 6 and just kept going and going his foot skills were deplorable....

Building nicely is Ricky, the yips have been largely eliminated and his positive attributes are coming to the fore. I'm especially looking forward to some cameos in the forward line, his versatility will be invaluable down the track.

kicked a couple out on the full when under little or no pressure.

if you think he's a player that could stand up to finals type of pressure your kidding yourself.

nothing more than a band aid until a better skilled player can be found

rokkafella said:
kicked a couple out on the full when under little or no pressure.

if you think he's a player that could stand up to finals type of pressure your kidding yourself.

nothing more than a band aid until a better skilled player can be found

And which players didn't have the odd clanger? Greasy conditions make for ugly football, even the best aren't immune, credit where credit's due.

Gee, a few on here going with the recycled "therefore a wasted spot on the list" rubbish. Done his business well and will be in next week.

bullus_hit said:
Building nicely is Ricky, the yips have been largely eliminated and his positive attributes are coming to the fore. I'm especially looking forward to some cameos in the forward line, his versatility will be invaluable down the track.

With all the talk about his kicking I reckon his defensive work goes unnoticed.

Petterd is a very good body on body defender who rarely gets beaten one on one. He also reads the play well and seems to be quite good at assisting his fellow defenders.

With Houli back, we will have Houli and Newman as the release players with Rance, Petterd and Morris as the primary defenders. Add in Chaplin and hopefully Grimes for size and composure it is starting to look like a reasonable defence.

Tigersub said:
Gee, a few on here going with the recycled "therefore a wasted spot on the list" rubbish. Done his business well and will be in next week.

He was close to best on ground on reflection. The amount of times he marked their inside 50, spoilt a contest and then disposed of it and hit his targets was awesome to watch. Not bad for a bloke who has missed a lot of footy.

Jason King said:
He was close to best on ground on reflection. The amount of times he marked their inside 50, spoilt a contest and then disposed of it and hit his targets was awesome to watch. Not bad for a bloke who has missed a lot of footy.

His tackling was a real highlight too.

lamb22 said:
Petterd is a bloody good footballer 90% of the time.

Good pace, speed, skills, lateral movement, evasion, leap. Very good at killing an aerial contest third man up.

Where he has had problems in the past is the occasional muddled thinking or error either under real or inferred pressure. The dropped marks against Collingwood (only 2 but you'd think is was 50 by the comments on here)

Also the hit and miss on his kicking and the hesitation at times which leads to poor disposal.

In short I think Petterd is very good in 'continuous' play as his instincts are good. His errors usually show themselves when he overthinks or over worries a situation.

Some of that might be the result of the siege mentality of playing for Melbourne.

I see him as a confidence player. If he really thinks he belongs and takes first options more often he could tear it up in a finals series.

I reckon, Lambchops.

I hope he can stay sound. Unfortunately Petterd hasn't been able to string games together, particularly this year. And there goes the chance to build confidence.

If he stays sound he can be a valuable pick up for us.

Great game. Got a wrap on Dimma's Dissection too.

Could be yet another Hartley diamond in the rough

Petterd has done exactly what we could have hoped for. He has been able to step straight in when required. And you never know he might yet establish himself as part of our best 22.

Tigermad2005 said:
So what do we do with him next year?
Does he come onto the list or does he stay as a rookie?

My understanding is he's already on the list along with Stephenson and Lonergan - I don't think we have to spend a pick on upgrading him.

Stylo said:
My understanding is he's already on the list along with Stephenson and Lonergan - I don't think we have to spend a pick on upgrading him.
No he has just been upgraded for the year.
After the season end he can go back down again.