Ricky Petterd | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ricky Petterd

MB78 said:
Petterd has done exactly what we could have hoped for. He has been able to step straight in when required. And you never know he might yet establish himself as part of our best 22.

Some need to remember this guy is coming off major surgery the past couple of years and he was taken as a low cost rookie pick primarily because of that. Not because he can't play.
He was one of our best players against Gold Coast and helped towards us winning the game. That in itself should be recognised for what it is.
Hope he plays well again this week as I hope all our players do.

se7en said:
Well the love wont last.
Give him a few more games and he'll be back as the punching bag.

Only if he deserves it.

I remember last time we played Freo he was a clanger king and helped lose us the game with his helicopter punts out of the backline. Was also awful against Collingwood with fumbled marks and panicking play. People pumping him up forget it as quickly as others that bring up his deficiencies. Hopefully better this time round. I hope he goes well.

Barnzy said:
Only if he deserves it.

I remember last time we played Freo he was a clanger king and helped lose us the game with his helicopter punts out of the backline. Was also awful against Collingwood with fumbled marks and panicking play. People pumping him up forget it as quickly as others that bring up his deficiencies. Hopefully better this time round. I hope he goes well.

Game against Freo will be a lot tighter.
Let's see how he goes under the pressure.

Horrible kicking.

Needs to go. Sad thing is he's a decent defender and has pace. Decent mark and reader of play. However can't persist with his lack of skill in the backline.

Barnzy said:
Horrible kicking.

Needs to go. Sad thing is he's a decent defender and has pace. Decent mark and reader of play. However can't persist with his lack of skill in the backline.

Petterd only had 2 clangers and went at 82% efficiency with 0 FA. Sure he only had it 22 times but I don't understand why that isn't good enough for you.

Barnzy said:
Horrible kicking.

Needs to go.

22 possessions at 82%. The detractors of his kicking astound me.

I thought Ricky was great again today. The goal he stuffed up in the first was ordinary, (although Houli sold him down the river with the kick in) but he was great under pressure in tight situations. Very agile bloke, looks hard to tackle which helps him deep in defence in tight situations. Will hopefully stay in the side the rest of the year.

Thought he was great today, I'm nearly ready to put him in the 'Hartley Victory' basket

dragicevic7 said:
22 possessions at 82%. The detractors of his kicking astound me.

I thought Ricky was great again today. The goal he stuffed up in the first was ordinary, (although Houli sold him down the river with the kick in) but he was great under pressure in tight situations. Very agile bloke, looks hard to tackle which helps him deep in defence in tight situations. Will hopefully stay in the side the rest of the year.

Please don't quote DE it's a horrible stat.

The fact he went at 82% today tells you that. Petterd can not kick to advantage unless the target is 15-20m away in miles of space. His looping kicks that fall short or go wide of the target by 5-10m put the receiver in trouble numerous times today. I bet that's not counted as ineffective though if we retain possession from good recovery work.

Barnzy said:
Please don't quote DE it's a horrible stat.

The fact he went at 82% today tells you that. Petterd can not kick to advantage unless the target is 15-20m away in miles of space. His looping kicks that fall short or go wide of the target by 5-10m put the receiver in trouble numerous times today. I bet that's not counted as ineffective though if we retain possession from good recovery work.

Very well put. Its the decision making and poor kicks to position that totally negates his positives. For me he should either play forward or not at all.

GoodOne said:
Very well put. Its the decision making and poor kicks to position that totally negates his positives. For me he should either play forward or not at all.

Yep.

I see the usual suspects have lined up again, maybe we should change this thread to Ricky's Mistakes Exposed.

Just to remind the haters, he was a rookie pick, he has done his job well, he's contributed to two very important victories and his stats are solid in anyone's language. What were people honestly expecting?