Ricky Petterd | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ricky Petterd

GoodOne said:
Very well put. Its the decision making and poor kicks to position that totally negates his positives. For me he should either play forward or not at all.

I was initially 'meh' about the Petterd pick because I saw a bit of him as a forward at Melbourne, and despite his X factor his actual output was ordinary.

However as a half back he excels in his strengths, reading the ball, aerial work, tackling, courage, good instinctive thinker in traffic, good lateral movements. His problems arise only when he gets too much time to think about it (his problem often as a forward).

Not surprisingly Good One, Petterd's good traits go right over your head as did Jakey's and pretty much everyone else on the list you don't rate.

As a forward he makes a damn good half back.

Didn't mind him today, did ok. He needs to cut out the Melbourne turn overs and he will be a good pick up

lamb22 said:
His problems arise only when he gets too much time to think about it (his problem often as a forward).

How much time does a forward need to think about?

lamb22 said:
Jesus. Wow we have some primadonnas on here don't we? Good traits don't go over my head. I love our good players yes those ones that have good traits. And I believe I validly question those I believe are fringe players. Just because you don't agree doesn't mean it's gone over my head. Since when do we have to start apologising for having a different opinion?

By the way what has Jake done so special lately. Played a bit better today but has been very ordinary recently.

Wise old Freo supporter sitting behind me in the last quarter - "that number 13 has had a great game". He was also a big rap for Jacko - "that number 23 works really hard".

Objective fans are a delight.

Barnzy said:
Horrible kicking.

Needs to go. Sad thing is he's a decent defender and has pace. Decent mark and reader of play. However can't persist with his lack of skill in the backline.

This, sadly.

Spot on. His spoiling, positioning and reading of the play are everything you could ask for from a +1.

His kicking is not good enough for the position.

Carter said:
This, sadly.

Spot on. His spoiling, positioning and reading of the play are everything you could ask for from a +1.

Agree completely - would be a great player if he could only kick more effectively. His kicking action is poor - don't know if this is something that can be improved. To play as the quick, rebounding half back, a player has to be an elite kick - he isn't.

Carter said:
This, sadly.

So let's bring back Batchelor (not). He may not be the greatest HB in the league but he's the best option we've got at the moment.

We did beat a quality side by the way.

bullus_hit said:
So let's bring back Batchelor (not). He may not be the greatest HB in the league but he's the best option we've got at the moment.

for the swannies game, bring tuck in on the inside, drop deledio to half back and drop rettard.

bullus_hit said:

He will be out for Grimes in a couple of weeks.

Grimes plays VFL next week I think.

TheCan said:
for the swannies game, bring tuck in on the inside, drop deledio to half back and drop rettard.

Drop Rettard? I can see this thread is fast becoming a trolls paradise, I'll leave you guys to it. ::)

bullus_hit said:

Your point about the rookie list is a good one. Can't expect too much from him.

But ... he is playing in a position that defines your advantage over the opposition. A pivotal role.

That turnover in the first half was unacceptable, Bulluss. It was purely down to his treacle ball drop.

Batchelor is in wretched form but we had options out there today. Newman and Houli can rotate until their engines blow. Grimes will be back. Martin and Deledio can rotate.

Dea will be a player. In a couple of years, hopefully McIntosh.

Barnzy said:
He will be out for Grimes in a couple of weeks.

Grimes plays VFL next week I think.

R u still waiting for this bloke?? He can't stand up for 2 games without Getting injured.
Move on. Kelvin Moore part 2

Carter said:
Your point about the rookie list is a good one. Can't expect too much from him.

But ... he is playing in a position that defines your advantage over the opposition. A pivotal role.

That turnover in the first half was unacceptable, Bulluss. It was purely down to his treacle ball drop.

Batchelor is in wretched form but we had options out there today. Newman and Houli can rotate until their engines blow. Grimes will be back. Martin and Deledio can rotate.

Dea will be a player. In a couple of years, hopefully McIntosh.

The thing I'm noticing with the detractors is the sole focus on errors, Petterd made two howlers, but he also did a lot of good things. Last week was exceptional and he earned himself 3 votes from the coaches. His game before that he kicked at 100% efficiency. His kicking action is as unorthodox as you'll likley see but it's nowhere near as ineffective as some are making out, it's actually the antithesis of Batchelor who is very fluent but a turnover merchant.

Personally I think we can do better than Petterd and we should be aiming for that, but as it stands he's head and shoulders above Batchelor, Dea and any of the youngsters we've got.

We're currently 11-5 and have played some good footy lately so our depth must be pretty good. Petterd is exactly what you want from a rookie selction, in fact he's been our only success since Nahas was recruited all those years ago. Some will never be happy with his selection, but he's here to stay and will probably be playing finals football. I'm not really sure what else people were expecting, if you want a Brendon Goddard then you have to pay for it, if you want a cheap depth player then grab a seasoned 24 y/o like Petterd. Given our current salary cap issues I think we made the right choice.