Ricky Petterd | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ricky Petterd

What concerned me more about Pettard is the marks that he drops under "perceived" rather than actual pressure. I thought his foot skills wern't too bad in the games that he played.

The coaching staff must see something in him, and in recent days they have been right more often than not.

GEDS1 said:
Ricky has very bad foot skills so you reap what you sow - poor selection decision.

So given his kicking efficiency was 100% in his last match, are we still of the opinion his kicking skills are 'very bad'?

His kicking action is awkward no doubt, but many on here can't get their head around the fact that he still manages to hit targets.

Well let's see how he goes then and review our thoughts after the game. I hope he goes well but it highlights a decent sized hole left by Houli when he is out.

bullus_hit said:
So given his kicking efficiency was 100% in his last match, are we still of the opinion his kicking skills are 'very bad'?

His kicking action is awkward no doubt, but many on here can't get their head around the fact that he still manages to hit targets.

You can't be serious surely? Any ounce of pressure and his kicking crumbles. In that last game he had just 2 contested possessions yest he stillmanaged 4 clangers. Week before he had 17 possesions but just 11 effective disposals and 6 clangers. Not sure how that equates to hitting targets. Certainly doesn't match with my memory of watching the games either.

Jukes Extended said:
Averages 2nd most clangers at the club...dud.

So you're drawing conclusions from 5 game sample? How about checking out his career stats, nothing to see here - 2.29 clangers a game.

Ricky was very rusty early on but has steadily become better with each game. It would seem some are quick to condemn the guy after a 12 month lay-off.

Not the answer but given batchelors and deas form last week and pettards form in the twos had no choice

Under pressure pettard is as bad a turn over merchant as I've seen at tiges

bullus_hit said:
So you're drawing conclusions from 5 game sample? How about checking out his career stats, nothing to see here - 2.29 clangers a game.

In his natural position as a forward.

Up back he's a clanger king. Bemusing we'd play such a poor kick in the loose rebounding role.

bullus_hit said:

Yet in your previous post you drew a conclusion from 1 match. Thing is with clangers, based on his average possessions of 13.9, and a uncontested/contested ball ratio of around 2 to 1, 2.29 clangers a game is very high. Not sure how anyone who watches the game can argue that Petterd has good disposal skills.

Can't judge him yet.
Gee we are hard on players before they even get to prove themselves.

Welcome back Petterd. :clap

Thing that annoyed me about pettered earlier in the year is that he would rarely kick to advantage.

He may not have been clangin' it, but he was dropping the pill onto his targets heads, making it easier to spoil.

Kicking lacks that extra 5 metres of penetration that is crucial in the rebounder role.

Just can't see him being effective there, so why persist?

smasha said:
Can't judge him yet.
Gee we are hard on players before they even get to prove themselves.

It's his 7th year. Fair enough for a younger player but there's enough information to make judgement on Petterd. I see potential value in Petterd but not as a backman. Needs to play forward imo.

I will have everything crossed every time this bloke goes near the ball.
His game against collingwood should've had been his farewell game. He was abysmal

bullus_hit said:

Ricky was very rusty early on but has steadily become better with each game. It would seem some are quick to condemn the guy after a 12 month lay-off.

Totally agree bullus. What I have liked most in the small sample is his ability to read the play and find the ball. He plays the sweeper role reasonably effectively.
Don't know if he's the long term answer but I am a bigger fan of him than Batchelor in defence.

Tigers of Old said:
Totally agree bullus. What I have liked most in the small sample is his ability to read the play and find the ball. He plays the sweeper role reasonably effectively.
Don't know if he's the long term answer but I am a bigger fan of him than Batchelor in defence.

here here!

Indictment on the ability or development of our younger players in Batchelor, Dea, Astbury, Griffiths, etc that this guy gets a game down back.

No massive fan but criticism of him is over the top in my opinion. You'd think he's played a lot worse than he has by the comments on here.