Ricky Petterd | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ricky Petterd

zippadeee said:
I will have everything crossed every time this bloke goes near the ball.
His game against collingwood should've had been his farewell game. He was abysmal
I don't often agree with zips, but he's on the money here.

Petterd is a bloody good footballer 90% of the time.

Good pace, speed, skills, lateral movement, evasion, leap. Very good at killing an aerial contest third man up.

Where he has had problems in the past is the occasional muddled thinking or error either under real or inferred pressure. The dropped marks against Collingwood (only 2 but you'd think is was 50 by the comments on here)

Also the hit and miss on his kicking and the hesitation at times which leads to poor disposal.

In short I think Petterd is very good in 'continuous' play as his instincts are good. His errors usually show themselves when he overthinks or over worries a situation.

Some of that might be the result of the siege mentality of playing for Melbourne.

I see him as a confidence player. If he really thinks he belongs and takes first options more often he could tear it up in a finals series.

lamb22 said:
Petterd is a bloody good footballer 90% of the time.

Good pace, speed, skills, lateral movement, evasion, leap. Very good at killing an aerial contest third man up.

Where he has had problems in the past is the occasional muddled thinking or error either under real or inferred pressure. The dropped marks against Collingwood (only 2 but you'd think is was 50 by the comments on here)

Also the hit and miss on his kicking and the hesitation at times which leads to poor disposal.

In short I think Petterd is very good in 'continuous' play as his instincts are good. His errors usually show themselves when he overthinks or over worries a situation.

Some of that might be the result of the siege mentality of playing for Melbourne.

I see him as a confidence player. If he really thinks he belongs and takes first options more often he could tear it up in a finals series.

Well said Lamby, couldn't agree more. Some of his games for Melbourne were exceptional, when on song he's more than handy. His first few games for Richmond had all the hallmarks of a guy who had been out of action for a year, his last game was a huge improvement on that earlier form. For a rookie pick, I still contend that he has much to offer, even if that means he finds his niche as a medium forward.

Not a fan but he had a pretty decent game overall.

Would've had at least 4 or 5 clangers though including a couple shockers. This is going to be an ongoing issue in that role.

Barnzy said:

Would've had at least 4 or 5 clangers though including a couple shockers. This is going to be an ongoing issue in that role.

Had a massive game and best of all didn't lack any poise ::) 3 clangers only :hihi

I rip into him regularly but he's always had ability and played reasonable in games this year but it's just his butchering usage.
Turned it over a bit but his good easily outweighed his bad today, well played.

Depth player.

One of the recruiting decisions I was least enthusiastic about, but paid something back today. Handled the ball cleanly and took care to use it well most of the time.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
One of the recruiting decisions I was least enthusiastic about, but paid something back today. Handled the ball cleanly and took care to use it well most of the time.
Barnzy said:

It will be Barnzy, but L2D2 elucidates why he played ahead of Batch - he's clean below his knees. He's quicker. Gets to more contests. Gives more run. Batch in those conditions would have been in the discomfort zone.

How he performs over the next few weeks against quality opposition will determine his fate. Lets just see against the Hawks, Swans and Freo.

spook said:
It will be Barnzy, but L2D2 elucidates why he played ahead of Batch - he's clean below his knees. He's quicker. Gets to more contests. Gives more run. Batch in those conditions would have been in the discomfort zone.

Never argued Batch being dropped. He was poor.