Ricky Petterd | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ricky Petterd

Jukes Extended said:
Stats are overrated, 100% efficiency doesn't mean he hit the target.

Back to the bagging hey Jukes? I can see you'll be a regular on this thread.

This is part of our problems. Yah ok try a Reject from another team if he provides something and improves our side ok. But they must provide MORE than a young up and coming kid (batch) to me petterd is no better than batch and hasn't much upside where as the kid does. So wouldn't you give the kid the right to get in there and improve? U want to get better not stay as u r cause ATM as we r is not good enough.

keepa lids onit said:
This is part of our problems. Yah ok try a Reject from another team if he provides something and improves our side ok. But they must provide MORE than a young up and coming kid (batch) to me petterd is no better than batch and hasn't much upside where as the kid does. So wouldn't you give the kid the right to get in there and improve? U want to get better not stay as u r cause ATM as we r is not good enough.

Petterd is 24, there's only a few years difference, the argument that he's stalling the development of a 'kid' is just ludicrous.

Jukes Extended said:
Settle down, I've already said he played a good game.
But it's true if his disposal leads to a stoppage it's still effective.

I'm not disagreeing with that, but on the night he mainly hit up targets with short kicking - playing within his limitations which was very pleasing to see. The up and under kicking was largely banished from the repertoire, a step in the right direction.

bullus_hit said:
I'm not disagreeing with that, but on the night he mainly hit up targets with short kicking - playing within his limitations which was very pleasing to see. The up and under kicking was largely banished from the repertoire, a step in the right direction.
And there you have it. Like Grigg, because their disposal is soo poor, they have to do the dinky short kick as to stop from stuffing up, very noble but at AFL level you need and expect your players to be better and more damaging. Coming out f defence you need to attack, not just "pass the ball successfully to someone just because they are 15m away and then I haven't turned it over" mentality.

The free given against him in the last against Steve Johnston was a joke. The umpires are trying to kill his career off.

Pass mark for mine. Dea still putting a lot of pressure on him for his spot.

MB78 said:
The free given against him in the last against Steve Johnston was a joke. The umpires are trying to kill his career off.
Was that when power tripper Nicholls gave 50? Rubbish free kick, Pets tells him (quietly, non-demonstratively) that it's rubbish and you can see/hear Nicholls saying 'stop talking'. Pets keeps talking - 50. Put your ego away Nicholls.

Pass mark for mine. Dea still putting a lot of pressure on him for his spot.
Dea can have Grigg's spot. Or White's.

tigertim said:
And there you have it. Like Grigg, because their disposal is soo poor, they have to do the dinky short kick as to stop from stuffing up, very noble but at AFL level you need and expect your players to be better and more damaging. Coming out f defence you need to attack, not just "pass the ball successfully to someone just because they are 15m away and then I haven't turned it over" mentality.

Clutching at straws I'm afraid, not once did he kick to a situation where a) his teammate was placed under immediate pressure or b) the kick resulted in a turnover.

You seem to be very focused on the negative with Petterd, that much is clear given your first comment after the game was that his kicking was atrocious (despite him having 100% kicking efficiency.)

Not every player kicks like Martin, but if they can play within their limitations and bring other skills to the table, then there's a chance they will succeed. Off the top of my head, I'm assuming you would also like to delist the following players -

Edwards
McGuane
Morris
Rance
Grigg
Jackson
Dea
Arnot
Elton

One could even add Cotchin and Houli to the list, purely based on last night's performance. What I find even more perplexing is that the people crying foul over Petterd's selection also want Dea to come in, another player who is better suited to the short kicking option. Not that I've got anything against Dea, but to assume he'll be kicking like Brendan Goddard is naiive in the extreme.

bullus_hit said:
Clutching at straws I'm afraid, not once did he kick to a situation where a) his teammate was placed under immediate pressure or b) the kick resulted in a turnover.

You seem to be very focused on the negative with Petterd, that much is clear given your first comment after the game was that his kicking was atrocious (despite him having 100% kicking efficiency.)

Not every player kicks like Martin, but if they can play within their limitations and bring other skills to the table, then there's a chance they will succeed. Off the top of my head, I'm assuming you would also like to delist the following players -

Edwards
McGuane
Morris
Rance
Grigg
Jackson
Dea
Arnot
Elton

One could even add Cotchin and Houli to the list, purely based on last night's performance. What I find even more perplexing is that the people crying foul over Petterd's selection also want Dea to come in, another player who is better suited to the short kicking option. Not that I've got anything against Dea, but to assume he'll be kicking like Brendan Goddard is naiive in the extreme.
Firstly this is the Petterd thread so I'm talking Petterd. Secondly watch the game again and see how many kicks were up and unders or not to any advantage. Thirdly, I actually said he did well! So whilst you can accuse me of focussing on his negatives it may be e cause they far outweigh the positives.

Anyway, I don't wish to get into a slanging match re Petterd, my opinion differs from yours so we,ll leave it at that.

Dea certainly didn't set the world on fire yesterday. Would be playing Petterd in front of him on last nights performance.

tigertim said:
Secondly watch the game again and see how many kicks were up and unders or not to any advantage.

I've seen the game and this comment is just baloney, few kicks were up and unders. On one hand you criticise his short 15 metre kicks, and then in the same breath, make out like all his kicks were 40 metre floaters.

I think it is you who needs to rewatch the game.

WesternTiger said:
Dea certainly didn't set the world on fire yesterday. Would be playing Petterd in front of him on last nights performance.

I hope we don't judge on 1 performance. Dea has played well all season. Probably mute point now that Pettard is injured. Would we expect Dea to replace him?