Ricky Petterd | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ricky Petterd

i hope for the best and fear the worst in regards to pettard this week against geelongs ability to capitalize on turnovers

you would think geelong would really sweat on pettard, jacko, RANCE, grigg, houli to try and get turnovers.

these guys seem to buckle the easiest under pressure

bullus_hit said:
What a complete load of baloney, had it not been for a stupid lapse in concentration last week, we'd be sitting 4-1 and near the top of the ladder. Some of the criticism about selection is just laughable.

We could also easily have been 2-3 and 2-4 after this weekend.

spook said:
Cam Mooney said on 360 tonight that when Corey Enright first got to Geelong he couldn't kick; dropped the ball near his ear. It is easier to re-program an 18yo than a 24yo but he's an immature 24yo. If we can make Houli brave, maybe we can make Petterd a good kick. (Can we make Grigg both? Either?)

Problem is it takes a while to re-program from such a poor kick. So do we embark on a 4 year program to re-program him, hoping that he comes good by the time he's 28? I understand having the patience to do this for an 18 year old.

GoodOne said:
Problem is it takes a while to re-program from such a poor kick. So do we embark on a 4 year program to re-program him, hoping that he comes good by the time he's 28? I understand having the patience to do this for an 18 year old.

I should copy and paste some comments from the Rance & Morris threads, I could even dip into the Edwards & Grigg threads for good measure. These things aren't necessarily terminal, it comes down to playing within ones limitations, Petterd still has time.

bullus_hit said:
I should copy and paste some comments from the Rance & Morris threads, I could even dip into the Edwards & Grigg threads for good measure. These things aren't necessarily terminal, it comes down to playing within ones limitations, Petterd still has time.

Not sure Grigg has conquered any kicking issues.

Soda said:
Not sure Grigg has conquered any kicking issues.

A top 5 finish in the B&F indicates his kicking isn't the great liability some are making out. People need to understand that some players go through bad patches, Grigg is no exception. The thing that concerns me most is that the vitriol directed at some of the players in the past week has been well over the top. Ricky Petterd has just come back after 1 year out of the game, he's being trialled in a position that isn't his forte, he has his faults but to call him disgusting, pathetic and a disgrace to the jumper is about as low as you can go (not directed at you personally).

Ricky not only plays for the jumper but he's been a lifelong Richmond supporter, and I'm afraid to say it, but the past week has exposed a particularly ugly side to our supporter base. If he doesn't make it, then so be it, he wouldn't be the first and won't be the last. But it's hardly worthy of eating our own and embarking on a war with not only Ricky Petterd, but the selectors, the coaching staff and the recruitment team. There's enough sniping out there without a bunch of keyboard warriors ripping shreds out of the players. We lost by a point, time to move on and look forward to our next challenge.

I agree bullus_hit, the vitriol from some over a 1 point loss to a pretty good side on their home ground has been astonishing. We're gonna lose some more games over the season, and probably have some great wins, but we are still just a middle tier side, an improving one but not the finished product.

Tigers of Old said:
As expected Batch went first. Too slow and butchers it just as much if not more than Petterd but doesn't get as much of it.
Vastly overrated is Batch. He is at the crossroads atm.

Rubbish

bullus_hit said:
A top 5 finish in the B&F indicates his kicking isn't the great liability some are making out. People need to understand that some players go through bad patches, Grigg is no exception. The thing that concerns me most is that the vitriol directed at some of the players in the past week has been well over the top. Ricky Petterd has just come back after 1 year out of the game, he's being trialled in a position that isn't his forte, he has his faults but to call him disgusting, pathetic and a disgrace to the jumper is about as low as you can go (not directed at you personally).

Ricky not only plays for the jumper but he's been a lifelong Richmond supporter, and I'm afraid to say it, but the past week has exposed a particularly ugly side to our supporter base. If he doesn't make it, then so be it, he wouldn't be the first and won't be the last. But it's hardly worthy of eating our own and embarking on a war with not only Ricky Petterd, but the selectors, the coaching staff and the recruitment team. There's enough sniping out there without a bunch of keyboard warriors ripping shreds out of the players. We lost by a point, time to move on and look forward to our next challenge.

love this post.
some on here have what I like to call the Sybil complex.

bullus_hit said:

Won't find any comments like that from me on Rance or Morris. Their kicking actions are sound. Petterd often can't even seem to make the ball rotate correctly, let alone hti a target.

bullus_hit said:

Agree with most of that. Thought we battled hard last week, every player gave their best IMO so definitely stupid to tear them to shreads. Grigg is definitley down on form but has been an important player so has some credits. His kicking is still an issue, he works on quantity not quality though.

I do question why a guy is playing a position that is not his forte (as you say) when we have plenty of other options (Batch/Dea). I like coaches backing players but I reckon batch could feel a little aggrieved - although competition for spots is exactly what we have been missing.

bullus_hit said:

This really is quality posting.

Petard must have bought those juicy photo's of the selection panel off his ex-Melbourne team mate Miller as he seems to have become undropable.

bullus_hit said:
he's being trialled in a position that isn't his forte

Enjoy ur posts BH but this i do not agree with "he's being trialled in a position that isn't his forte" quite frankly he shouldn't be trialled at senior level but in the 2nds instead where he can work on his deficiencies and develope that role at a premium requirement to then earn his spot in the 1's....

I struggle to comprehend the Petterd hate on here.

Thought he had a good gamne defensively. I rewatched the game after all the bad kicking posts here and it is true that many of his long kicks in to forward 50 were ordinary, but I didn't see him miss a short target, his hands and handballs were clean and in all bar one occasion when he went third man up he klilled the contest.

He is actually doing the role Grimes was doing last year before his injury.

His ball drop is weird and it is likely to cause the odd hiccup.

My take is wait and see. His game againt Collngwood was much poorer and its those panic moments (especially dropping easy marks) that worries me. These tenencies could be terminal for him but at this stage is doing enough to be cut some slack and to show he can improve further.

bullus_hit said:

agree with all except the idea that this is something that has only happened in the last week. it is probably more accentuated this week as a few players made obvious mistakes this week for posters to jump all over.