Ricky Petterd | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ricky Petterd

Aside from two poor kicks, I thought he was very good against Freo. Keep him in, I also like the idea of sending him forward and Dea to defence.

Streak said:
Having watched Pettard play a few games now, I think this is what the club wants to have happen.

I am working on the theory that Dimma likes forwards who apply defensive pressure and make the forward press work, so they are giving Pettard a run down back to improve that aspect of his game.

I don't really see his long term future with us as a backman.

I hope your right Streaker, like others have alluded to, Petterd's game is perfectly suited to a defensive forward role. I just hope it's sooner rather than later.

Streak said:
Having watched Pettard play a few games now, I think this is what the club wants to have happen.

I am working on the theory that Dimma likes forwards who apply defensive pressure and make the forward press work, so they are giving Pettard a run down back to improve that aspect of his game.

I don't really see his long term future with us as a backman.

Should probably be learning in the 2s then. It's contributing to our losses. Experiment in the 2s.

Reward poor skills by playing him forward ??? No, let him go back to Coburg and bring up Dea who can hit targets short or long.

Stylo said:
Don't be surprised if he keeps his spot.

Yeh I doubt the club will drop one of their recycled players quickly. Won't be a great look great.

We will see.

Barnzy said:
Yeh I doubt the club will drop one of their recycled players quickly. Won't be a great look great.

We will see.

yes, im sure that is the basis of the selection each week.

dud of the highest order, our rebound off halfback has not improved over the past 12 months...you expect to have highly skilled players in these roles

he is not

If petterd plays at the expense of dea or Batchelor we have learned nothing. Selection has been questionable at best this year IMO.

Morris will return. A good player but will panic. Houli was good against freo but can panic too. With petterd as well there are just too many headless chickens.

Carter said:
If petterd plays at the expense of dea or Batchelor we have learned nothing. Selection has been questionable at best this year IMO.

Morris will return. A good player but will panic. Houli was good against freo but can panic too. With petterd as well there are just too many headless chickens.

Don't forget Rance.

Batch has a pretty cool head. Cannot afford to lose that.

Carter said:
If petterd plays at the expense of dea or Batchelor we have learned nothing. Selection has been questionable at best this year IMO

Spot on but sadly this has happened as predicted. You're right selection this year hasn't been great.

Absolute joke this dud is in front of a few others.

We will lose this no doubt.

Off to the TAB. Easy money this one.

Barnzy said:
Spot on but sadly this has happened as predicted. You're right selection this year hasn't been great.

What a complete load of baloney, had it not been for a stupid lapse in concentration last week, we'd be sitting 4-1 and near the top of the ladder. Some of the criticism about selection is just laughable.

We could be 4-1 bully, quite right.

But who's to say selection didn't cost us last week? Should maric keep playing? Why is petterd still favoured?

And nahas' form in the twos hardly warranted his return.

Just think we are a little conservative on Thursday nights.

Carter said:
We could be 4-1 bully, quite right.

But who's to say selection didn't cost us last week? Should maric keep playing? Why is petterd still favoured?

And nahas' form in the twos hardly warranted his return.

Just think we are a little conservative on Thursday nights.

Given we haven't beaten a Ross Lyon coached team for 10 matches, I'd say Hardwick and co. got the balance just about right. Last week people were quite rightly questioning our ability to lay tackles, we improved out of sight on that front. I think people are focusing too much on the odd errant disposal as opposed to all the other facets of the game. Like I mentioned earlier in the thread, Petterd was far from our worst player. He turned it over a bit but he also did some good things on the night. I certainly don't recall any incidents where a) a turnover resulted in a goal, and b) his opponent scored due to his perceived lack of ability.

As for Maric & Nahas, lets just wait and see. The Mullet is going through a rough patch but he's still a better bet the Stephenson, Nahas is neither here nor there, the problem is depth. We don't have any quality small forwards, that's just the reality.