Ricky Petterd | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ricky Petterd

Barnzy said:
Can't kick so why play him as a hb who need to pinpoint targets in a dangerous area if the ground. All he can do us revert to long bombs which were intercepted most of the night.

why play him at all?

Skip, nailed it!!! His ball drop is very high and sort or chases it with his foot.
Back to the VFL, probably should of played Jakes role up forward.
He has had a 16 tackle game.... Can he give us half that each week??

bullus_hit said:
Whilst I agree with some that he needs to be played in attack, I think some are completely over the top with the criticism. 61% kicking efficiency isn't nearly as bad as some are suggesting in a heavily congested game. Every single player out there turned it over at some stage, Cotch made some howlers in the first, Deledio struggled to execute with precision, Martin kicked one out on the full.

In no way was Petterd our worst, he had 6 tackles, 18 possessions and numerous rebounds, give the guy a break I say.

that was 61 disposal efficiency not kicking efficiency. would have been li ky if 3 of his kicks actually hit a target. he has very little poise and simply panicked too much. maybe its confidence and he still needs to adjust to the speed of the game but right now I done think hes playing AFL standard.

GoodOne said:
that was 61 disposal efficiency not kicking efficiency. would have been li ky if 3 of his kicks actually hit a target. he has very little poise and simply panicked too much. maybe its confidence and he still needs to adjust to the speed of the game but right now I done think hes playing AFL standard.

61% was a figure that someone else posted but point taken.

But back to my earlier points, yes he has a high ball drop, yes he shanks the odd kick, yes there's a bit of up and under when the ball's in flight. So why not play him where he's been played all his career? There's a number of other players in the side who have turned things around on the kicking front. See Edwards, McGuane and even Grigg.

Petterd was in no way our worst last night, his marking was good, he read the play well, he didn't panic to the extent that some are making out, and let's not forget he's spent a year out of football. I certainly recall the same criticisms being levelled at Morris last year, and I heard the same barbs with Rance a few years ago. Give the guy a break, and perhaps focus a little on some of the positives like his tackling and his reading of the play.

As much as I'm disappointed with last night, we almost managed to steal an unlikley victory against the odds. The way some are carrying on, one could be forgiven for thinking that we just got flogged by 10 goals and Petterd had 8 goals kicked on him.

bullus_hit said:
we almost managed to steal an unlikley victory against the odds.

why was it an unlikely victory against the odds? they were missing pav and sandilands.

DirtyDogTiger said:
Venue
Also Freo ran and spread very well, like Collingwood
I lost count of the uncontested marks Freo took in our forward line

Haven't beaten a Ross Lyon coached team for 11 matches and haven't won too many matches at the WACA period. Could of and should of been an historic victory but it wasn't to be.

DirtyDogTiger said:
Venue
Also Freo ran and spread very well, like Collingwood
I lost count of the uncontested marks Freo took in our forward line
and basically we tried but played terribly

bullus_hit said:
Haven't beaten a Ross Lyon coached team for 11 matches and haven't won too many matches at the WACA period. Could of and should of been an historic victory but it wasn't to be.

Sorry - I'm a bit over this "Ross Lyon has never lost to us mantra"

If ever there was an irrelevant statistic - this is it.

If I play doubles tennis alongside Roger Federer for ten years - and then change partners to an ageing John McEnroe do we run around saying "Sir has never lost to Lleyton Hewitt"?

Of course not.

You can't soar like an eagle when you're flying with turkeys. It just happens to be that the Tigers have been turkeys for ten years while St Kilda and Freo haven't. I'm sure if you look close enough there are several coaches that haven't lost to us.

Harry said:
why was it an unlikely victory against the odds? they were missing pav and sandilands.
Too true Harold. There seems to be some sort of thinking that this was an "honourable win". No way, we played awful for the vest majority of the game with the same poor skills, same lake of ability to shut the game down for 90 seconds with the lead. No honour in playing badly AND losing!

Sir said:
Sorry - I'm a bit over this "Ross Lyon has never lost to us mantra"

If ever there was an irrelevant statistic - this is it.

If I play doubles tennis alongside Roger Federer for ten years - and then change partners to an ageing John McEnroe do we run around saying "Sir has never lost to Lleyton Hewitt"?

Of course not.

You can't soar like an eagle when you're flying with turkeys. It just happens to be that the Tigers have been turkeys for ten years while St Kilda and Freo haven't. I'm sure if you look close enough there are several coaches that haven't lost to us.

Just stating the facts, and Lyon has a distinct style which has been a thorn in our side for years now. We almost beat him at his own game which was pleasing, our tackling lifted and our intensity lifted. I'll give credit to Hardwick for adadpting well to the circumstances, all bar the last 90 seconds. Beating Freo at home is no easy task, we almost snatched it but fell agonisingly short. Disappointed would be an understatement.

tigertim said:
Too true Harold. There seems to be some sort of thinking that this was an "honourable win". No way, we played awful for the vest majority of the game with the same poor skills, same lake of ability to shut the game down for 90 seconds with the lead. No honour in playing badly AND losing!
:clap

bullus_hit said:
As much as I'm disappointed with last night, we almost managed to steal an unlikley victory against the odds. The way some are carrying on, one could be forgiven for thinking that we just got flogged by 10 goals and Petterd had 8 goals kicked on him.

Well said!

Haven't watched the game again yet, but I thought he was serviceable an do remember him puttin his body on the line a few times.

If we had have got up last night it would be the only win I remember that we didn't really deserve

I'd play Matthew Dea every time ahead of Petterd.
Petterd and Rance can't play succesfully in the same defence, they have no skills under pressure.
They are isolated by the opposition; Rance in one on one marking contests and Petterd for his woeful kicking.

Pettard should no longer be required to play back, has no footy smarts, is a panic merchant, cant hit a target to save himself, he is a hack kick to anywhere type of player under pressure thats what ive seen last 2 weeks and thats enough for me....

Yes he can back into a pack and mark a ball but if u cant set up play up field or run the lines or hit targets u are more a detriment to the team.