Ricky Petterd | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ricky Petterd

Petterd stargazes. He often seems to be waiting for a text.

My take on his game last night was that it was a mixed bag of manure. His worst was just plain terrified. HIs best was nowhere near that brave. He made The Witness look like Elliot Ness. In the first half Petterd was prolifically awful.

Anyway some time in the third quarter, I guess, he got that text. It might have read "*smile* ur pathetic u terrified disease pettiful get a kick or go home you *smile*. DIMMA"

He did some good stuff after that so probably should be ok for him to keep taking his phone onto the ground. Dimma should text him in the first quarter though. Maybe even just before the game.

Dyer'ere said:
Petterd stargazes. He often seems to be waiting for a text.

My take on his game last night was that it was a mixed bag of manure. His worst was just plain terrified. HIs best was nowhere near that brave. He made The Witness look like Elliot Ness. In the first half Petterd was prolifically awful.

Anyway some time in the third quarter, I guess, he got that text. It might have read "*smile* ur pathetic u terrified disease pettiful get a kick or go home you *smile*. DIMMA"

He did some good stuff after that so probably should be ok for him to keep taking his phone onto the ground. Dimma should text him in the first quarter though. Maybe even just before the game.
I needed a laugh. that was *smile* brilliant. You slay me Jack.

I thought he was reasonably servicable. Somewhat surprised I can't really understand the venom that has arisen the last 5 pages.

I must have contracted brightsider disease or something.

'reasonably serviceable' is a good assessment. I see him as a depth player. And an OK one. If he was a core player you'd be worried. He's quite a bit better than Jordan Russell put it that way.

tigersnake said:
'reasonably serviceable' is a good assessment. I see him as a depth player. And an OK one. If he was a core player you'd be worried. He's quite a bit better than Jordan Russell put it that way.

Comparing him too Jordan Russell isn't too flattering
Russell is a king dud, same as grigg. 2 players that have had the apprenticeship at the Carlton jibbers football club.
Pettard wouldn't get a game at Melbourne.

super_coach said:
I think he struggles a bit with decision making

And execution. On the Jordan Russell thing, I was just making the point that all sides have at least a couple of battlers. You just have to hope they have 1 decent strength, go in hard and don't stuff up too much. Thats a perennial problem on PRE, agonising and jumping up and down over a couple of fringe players as if its the end of the world. Agonising when you've got 10 of 'em is warranted of course.

spook said:
I needed a laugh. that was *smile*ing brilliant. You slay me Jack.

Losing can be fun. ;D

evo said:
I thought he was reasonably servicable. Somewhat surprised I can't really understand the venom that has arisen the last 5 pages.

I must have contracted brightsider disease or something.

Nah, I reckon you're pretty right, evo. It's just that he ran away from the footy about five times in the first half. After about the fifth we we waiting for the runner to go out and drag him but no runner at all. Anyway. He got the message somehow and improved. (Dimma handled Houli a bit like that. He just perseveres with them in a very Sheedy-like way. And of course, Chocco's a Sheedy disciple too.)

Other than the jibbing, which he addressed, I thought Pathettard was ok.

*sigh*

melbourne don't get many things right, but way back at the beginning of ricky's career, the reverend neale daniher might have trialled him down back one humid summer's day.

*runs past and switches play, an attempted 45m pass that lands at 40 and takes 10 min to do so*

"ricky. come 'ere. now listen. I wanna play you up forward ..."

I see him as a "chicken or the egg" type defender.
He is brave and hard and competes to win back the ball but his kicking is rarely to advantage - so more often than not it comes back at him and he is asked to do the same thing over and over again.

So is it better to have a player who is not as hard but at least when they kick it, it is less likely to come back?

Juffaricho said:
his kicking is rarely to advantage

That is one of the more astute observations I've read on Petterd Juffa. It's not so much that he's a bad kick or a turnover merchant, he's just an adequate kick but that probably isn't quite good enough for the quarterback role. In saying that he's better short than long where it just tends to be a bit hit and hope that I see.

Other than Griff and Houli we don't really want our backs kicking long do we? What we want is devastating spread from our mids that creates shorter high percentage options with the chance of overlap play for a quick transition to Tiv or Jack on a hard lead?

posted from the ferry to Santorini might say gday to Rupert or Kim Kardasian ....life's tough sometimes

Tigers of Old said:
That is one of the more astute observations I've read on Petterd Juffa. It's not so much that he's a bad kick or a turnover merchant, he's just an adequate kick but that probably isn't quite good enough for the quarterback role. In saying that he's better short than long where it just tends to be a bit hit and hope that I see.

Read a perfect description of Petterds kicking on BF. He has a 9 iron for a right foot. :spin

Tigers of Old said:

Yep certainly not good enough to play the plus 1 or release player he has been for a good dose of this year.

Compare him to Corey Enright (who is one of the best kicks to advantage leysy has seen) on Sat night who plays a very similar role. Chalk & cheese by foot.

btoz_01 said:
For god sakes play him forward he just may have the X factor weve been looking for

Having watched Pettard play a few games now, I think this is what the club wants to have happen.

I am working on the theory that Dimma likes forwards who apply defensive pressure and make the forward press work, so they are giving Pettard a run down back to improve that aspect of his game.

I don't really see his long term future with us as a backman.

btoz_01 said:
For god sakes play him forward he just may have the X factor weve been looking for

Totally agree, we either have talls or little midgets up there. We have been crying out for a medium fwd who can leap for years

Tigermad2005 said:
Back to the two's.

Never knew how bad he really was to watching in the last couple of weeks. no wonder Melbourne chopped him.
Dea would be a better player.