Ricky Petterd | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ricky Petterd

From the John West group, I reckon Pettard & Lonergan will have the greatest influence this year.

Tango said:
Just what we needed another hbf to go with the other 12?
Looks lie we are running with 3 HBF lines in our starting 18

It's an interesting one isn't it? If dimma and co think petterd is suitable to the hbf, then so be it, but he was recruited because we don't have too many options in that 3rd tall/mid-sized forward role

I wouldn't get too caught up in one game. I'm sure he'll be shuffled around in the prac matches

Ian4 said:
It's an interesting one isn't it? If dimma and co think petterd is suitable to the hbf, then so be it, but he was recruited because we don't have too many options in that 3rd tall/mid-sized forward role

Was he bin? Do you have a quote?

Ian4 said:

I see it as a bonus he can play duel roles. He can vie for a hff position outright, and he can also make guys like Batch and co work harder for their spots in the backline if other options are found in the forward half ie A Edwards.

Ian4 said:

I think he may have been recruited for what he could offer us as a player not a one-trick pony. I am sure Dimma and crew would have had a good inkling of where he could play and his past. To say he was recruited for a specific role....unless of course you are on the match committee, would be nonsense. I can see him along with others at the club being moved around based upon match ups and needs....I think so many players now are versatile....adds tot heir value.

I really never rated Petterd as a forward. Yep he had the odd game where he produced a bit of X factor but generally he was an inefficent forward. In games we played Melbourne I was never concerned about Petterd causing any damage up forward on a consistent basis.

On that basis I was ho hum about his recruitment but as a half back with his skill set, age and experience, not too bad an idea. It also reinforces a view that the coaches and recruiters know what they are doing.

lamb22 said:
I really never rated Petterd as a forward. Yep he had the odd game where he produced a bit of X factor but generally he was an inefficent forward. In games we played Melbourne I was never concerned about Petterd causing any damage up forward on a consistent basis.

On that basis I was ho hum about his recruitment but as a half back with his skill set, age and experience, not too bad an idea. It also reinforces a view that the coaches and recruiters know what they are doing.

Don't forget that Ricky also chalked up a Rising Star nomination as an onballer, to have him join the rotations would be a big win for the club.

lamb22 said:
I really never rated Petterd as a forward.

Shockd at the Lamby. Pettards work rate and tackling in the forward line is something we lack. Between him and King I reckon we finally have a bit of grunt. Pettard can also take a ok grab. Behind Jack, Riewoldt, Edwards , I reckon he can be a pretty damaging fourth or fifth forward. And we have no one that can play that role.

SCOOP said:
Shockd at the Lamby. Pettards work rate and tackling in the forward line is something we lack. Between him and King I reckon we finally have a bit of grunt. Pettard can also take a ok grab. Behind Jack, Riewoldt, Edwards , I reckon he can be a pretty damaging fourth or fifth forward. And we have no one that can play that role.

Totally agree

Danny Daly said today that Petterd's been almost our best player in both hit outs.

"We've tried him down there and the two games we've had so far, he's probably been our best player, to be honest.

Tigers of Old said:
Danny Daly said today that Petterd's been almost our best player in both hit outs.

"We've tried him down there and the two games we've had so far, he's probably been our best player, to be honest.

Big pat on the back, could he become the I.Maric for 2013

Ian4 said:

Houli was recruited to play HFF too

DragicevicFan said:
Houli was recruited to play HFF too

Don't think so, I always thought he was playing going to play backline and a little through the midfield which he hasn't done.

Did he play HFF at the bombers?

In an interview with Houli himself after his first year at RFC, Houli said in an a discussion with Dimma pre-drafting, that Dimma wrote Houli's number on a wing and said "That's where I will play you for 22 games next year". Houli then joked that he was still waiting to get there.

Great to hear Ricky is carving it up pre-season. Looking forward to seeing him in action this weekend.

Tigerdog said:
In an interview with Houli himself after his first year at RFC, Houli said in an a discussion with Dimma pre-drafting, that Dimma wrote Houli's number on a wing and said "That's where I will play you for 22 games next year". Houli then joked that he was still waiting to get there.

Great to hear Ricky is carving it up pre-season. Looking forward to seeing him in action this weekend.

Against the Demons also!