Ricky Petterd | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ricky Petterd

Petterd can bring some of the aerial strength to the half-backline that we lack without Lids there. And to coin a phrase he would release Houli to the midfield. Houli and Grigg running the wings at the G, with Newman off the bench. That's a lot of ball well-delivered inside 50.

Petterd is probably in a 3-way for 2 flanks, with Batch and Ellis.

Ian4 said:
I believe we took an extra 2 rookies instead of senior listed players in last years draft. Pretty sure this means we can upgrade 2 rookies to the senior list
I believe we can upgrade a rookie on the senior list but we have to put a player on the long term injury list and I thinking Foley might be the one.

pm1968 said:
I believe we can upgrade a rookie on the senior list but we have to put a player on the long term injury list and I thinking Foley might be the one.
List maintenance:Each club is allowed to maintain a list of up to six eligible players, whilst Brisbane and Sydney can list a maximum of nine. Up to three rookies can be retained, with the players permission for a second or third season,[3] with the others having to be either delisted or elevated to the primary list at the time of the National Draft. Only half of the salary paid by a club to players on the rookie list counts towards the league's salary cap.

Generally speaking, a rookie-listed player cannot be selected to play in the senior AFL competition, and must play in state-level affiliated teams, except in two circumstances:

At the start of a season, a club can nominate up to two veterans from its senior list for salary cap reasons; if a team does not have a full quota of veterans, it can make up the balance by nominating rookies to be eligible for senior selection. These players are known as nominated rookies.
If a senior-listed player is moved onto the long-term injury list, a rookie-listed player can be temporarily elevated in his place, becoming eligible for senior selection, while the senior player remains injured.
There are usually plenty of opportunities to enact either of these rules, so rookie-listed players who are playing well enough for senior selection are seldom deprived of the opportunity by list management constraints.

Just what we needed another hbf to go with the other 12?
Looks lie we are running with 3 HBF lines in our starting 18

True, but seems strange that a new player at the club is learning our game plan from a position he is not going to pay in ;)
Perhaps he will be hbf of the 2's

Tango said:
Just what we needed another hbf to go with the other 12?
Looks lie we are running with 3 HBF lines in our starting 18
Exactly. How many hbf do u wanna bloody have. Cause we have so many we are now trying to justify them as being good for the midfield and wing. Batch houli Ellis dea petts grimes(prefer) Vlas (prefer) all vying for 2 hbf spots. Prob others I've missed too

I've been a fan of Pettards a long time. If the kick in the a#¥e he got from Neeld puts some maturity into him ( plus a little luck from the injury Gods) then he could finish top 5 in the JD medal this year. Pettards best is dripping in X factor, match winning, highlight reel, turnstile clicking brilliance.

My fingers are crossed that the boy has become a man and can add to our already impressive list of discarded stones turned into Gems.

No issues with petard as I lie him as a footballer it's just why recruit something that you already have an abundance of?
Better of trying out 2 or 3 rucks or CHF as we don't have he same luxury?

Yes I know these are harder to get and cost more but why buy the bargain if you don't need it? Just because its on sale and a good price?

Tango said:
No issues with petard as I lie him as a footballer it's just why recruit something that you already have an abundance of?
Better of trying out 2 or 3 rucks or CHF as we don't have he same luxury?

Yes I know these are harder to get and cost more but why buy the bargain if you don't need it? Just because its on sale and a good price?
If you can get 100 plus games out of whichever player you recruit, that's a solid recruit. In Pettards case he can be swung either end wether he stops goals or kicks goals, murders a forward or slaughters a back, can kick 4 in a quarter or intercept mark in defense.
Great size, good speed, smart mover, smart thinker. Can't recruit to many of those

Petterd may be played as a HBF to get some touch
IMO any player that is creative and has X factor must be played in the forward line

Tango said:
True, but seems strange that a new player at the club is learning our game plan from a position he is not going to pay in ;)

I don't have an issue with it. Not many players survive as one dimensional HFF's these days. The more flexibility we can get into the squad the better.

Tigers of Old said:
I don't have an issue with it. Not many players survive as one dimensional HFF's these days. The more flexibility we can get into the squad the better.

Precisely, the fact that he's holding down a HBF is just a feather in his cap, at some stage he'll be moved forward. Interesting to note that Knights was playing for the possibles and Petterd for the probables, that indicates that the medium forward role is far from being settled.

We've rookied so many Melbourne players one of them has to work out. So far Miller has been the most successful.

I bet Jimmy Pettard can kick further than Miller. So that's one plus.

It'll be interesting to see who ends up kicking more goals for the Tiges, Jimmy P or Miller.

Hearing good things and I've rated Rick but lets see how he handles the heat of a big game. ie. tigs v carlton.