Ricky Petterd | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ricky Petterd

Baloo said:
What over reaction is that ? Calling him an idiot, or too happiliy concede skybeau's point that Petterds behaviour was idiotic. Is that over reacting ?

Or are you talking about you entering the debate late and taking pot shots at me in what I can only assume is an attempt to provoke me into reacting in a manner unbecoming of the forum ?

I'm joining it late because I've been flat out at work the last few days. I read the whole thread and felt compelled to disagree with you, which I've done in a respectful manner. I think perhaps you're taking this all a bit too seriously. It's a footy forum. People are bound to disagree. There's no need to get upset about it.

Judging someone's character based on one isolated and minor event is an overreaction IMO. Have you never done anything you've regretted after a couple of drinks? I'll bet 98% of the Aussie population would answer "yes" to that question but it doesn't automatically make anyone an idiot. What makes this situation worse is the fact all we have to go on is a couple of pictures printed in a newpaper desperate for footy news at this time of year. It's nowhere near enough to even make an educated guess on the actual turn of events that led to the minor confrontation.

Bit surprised one can't see that even lobbing a plastic cup at strangers either provoked or unprovoked can't be seen to be inflammatory. You can look at guys the wrong way at the cricket and get into strife.

Disco08 said:
I'm joining it late because I've been flat out at work the last few days. I read the whole thread and felt compelled to disagree with you, which I've done in a respectful manner. I think perhaps you're taking this all a bit too seriously. It's a footy forum. People are bound to disagree. There's no need to get upset about it.

pfft. Disagree all you want with the argument, its not like you're the first, but if you start potting the man and not the ball then I can only wonder what you're trying to achieve.

Judging someone's character based on one isolated and minor event is an overreaction IMO. What makes this situation worse is the fact all we have to go on is a couple of pictures printed in a newspaper desperate for footy news at this time of year. It's nowhere near enough to even make an educated guess on the actual turn of events that led to the minor confrontation.

So what is the over reaction ? If instead I used sky's "idiotic behaviour" instead of "he's an idiot", would that then be ok with you ? Or is it still going to far in your book ? If it was just news reports it would be easy to dismiss I guess, but with photographic evidence it's a pretty compelling story. At a minimum the news reported match the photos taken. I'd say it's more likely Pettered threw that cup than not.

Have you never done anything you've regretted after a couple of drinks? I'll bet 98% of the Aussie population would answer "yes" to that question but it doesn't automatically make anyone an idiot.

98% of the Australian population aren't AFL footballers on their last chance either. We're not debating the actions of an average young aussie lad at the G unfortunately. Being an AFL listed player means the rules are different, whether anyone likes it or not.

It's not clear to me that the "lob" was at a person or to a person, or even if that was what provoked the confrontation. When these cup snakes appear, a heap of spectators chuck the cups down to the people building the snake (that's why the snakes are banned by security).

jb03 said:
Bit surprised one can't see that even lobbing a plastic cup at strangers either provoked or unprovoked can't be seen to be inflammatory. You can look at guys the wrong way at the cricket and get into strife.

By itself it's not really that inflammatory. As Yinnar says he could have been lobbing it to someone rather than at someone. When tempers are up a bit and everyone's had a few and then you throw a cup at someone then of course it's antagonistic. The point is it didn't turn into anything major and no one got hurt either way so who cares?

Baloo said:
pfft. Disagree all you want with the argument, its not like you're the first, but if you start potting the man and not the ball then I can only wonder what you're trying to achieve.

Could you please point our where I did this Baloo?

Baloo said:
So what is the over reaction ? If instead I used sky's "idiotic behaviour" instead of "he's an idiot", would that then be ok with you ? Or is it still going to far in your book ? If it was just news reports it would be easy to dismiss I guess, but with photographic evidence it's a pretty compelling story. At a minimum the news reported match the photos taken. I'd say it's more likely Pettered threw that cup than not.

98% of the Australian population aren't AFL footballers on their last chance either. We're not debating the actions of an average young aussie lad at the G unfortunately. Being an AFL listed player means the rules are different, whether anyone likes it or not.

I think idiotic is taking it too far, unless you know the full story. For all anyone that wasn't there knows he could just as easily be a victim of circumstance.

AFL players are still allowed to enjoy themselves on their own time. Having a couple of beers at the cricket and getting into a minor scuffle (through whose fault no one knows) isn't indicative of broader character issues.

Disco08 said:
I think idiotic is taking it too far, unless you know the full story. For all anyone that wasn't there knows he could just as easily be a victim of circumstance.
Hypothetically then, if he did do what has been reported and photographed, i.e. threw a cup at another patron which then escalated the situation, would you consider that idiotic behaviour ?

AFL players are still allowed to enjoy themselves on their own time. Having a couple of beers at the cricket and getting into a minor scuffle (through whose fault no one knows) isn't indicative of broader character issues.

If you had read the whole thread then you'd see you're just agreeing with what I have said all along. Of course they're allowed to enjoy themselves, they just need to pick where they do a bit more wisely or else it wont be much fun for them or the club. Going to Bay 13 on Boxing Day and getting p!ssed is, at a very minimum and being as nice as possible to Petterd, showing very poor decision making. Starting trouble or at least escalating the situation as several eye witness accounts and photos show makes his behaviour idiotic in my eyes.

But back to the initial question. Is it the term "idiotic" that you think is the over reaction ? Or is it the fact I'm willing to make a call based on the news reports, eye witness accounts and photos and not wait until more evidence comes out ?

Baloo said:
Hypothetically then, if he did do what has been reported and photographed, i.e. threw a cup at another patron which then escalated the situation, would you consider that idiotic behaviour ?

IF he antagonised another patron into a scuffle without any provocation, sure. At the very least that's obnoxious and anti social.

Baloo said:
If you had read the whole thread then you'd see you're just agreeing with what I have said all along. Of course they're allowed to enjoy themselves, they just need to pick where they do a bit more wisely or else it wont be much fun for them or the club. Going to Bay 13 on Boxing Day and getting p!ssed is, at a very minimum and being as nice as possible to Petterd, showing very poor decision making. Starting trouble or at least escalating the situation as several eye witness accounts and photos show makes his behaviour idiotic in my eyes.

But back to the initial question. Is it the term "idiotic" that you think is the over reaction ? Or is it the fact I'm willing to make a call based on the news reports, eye witness accounts and photos and not wait until more evidence comes out ?

I don't agree that it's poor decision making at all. Bay 13's always been a bit of fun and while there's the occasional flare up it's not like you're asking for trouble just by going there and having a few light beers.

As I said before judging someone's character based on one isolated and minor event is a significant overreaction IMO. The fact you only have some vague news reports and a couple of photos to make these judgments accentuates it, again IMO.

Looks like an off-spin to me.

779929-ricky-petterd-at-mcg.jpg

Fine, then we'll agree to disagree. If you don't think it was at least poor decision making then we're miles apart with little chance of finding common ground on this one. I've conceded to idiotic behaviour which isn't a judgement character but a opinion on his actions.

The fact the photos support the news stories is what is damning here, at least to me. I haven't seen many trumped up stories that had photographic evidence to back them up.

Edit: Just to add though, you're making some assumptions if you're claiming he went to the cricket and just had a couple of light beers. I'd be more annoyed with him if he did what he did while relatively sober.

If idiotic behaviour equates to executing poor decisions in inopportune places then I guess the country is full of idiots...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGqTayhu5QM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5mBShX9fdU

Baloo said:
Fine, then we'll agree to disagree. If you don't think it was at least poor decision making then we're miles apart with little chance of finding common ground on this one. I've conceded to idiotic behaviour which isn't a judgement character but a opinion on his actions.

The fact the photos support the news stories is what is damning here, at least to me. I haven't seen many trumped up stories that had photographic evidence to back them up.

Edit: Just to add though, you're making some assumptions if you're claiming he went to the cricket and just had a couple of light beers. I'd be more annoyed with him if he did what he did while relatively sober.

It's one (not some) and it's not even an assumption. They don't sell full strength beers on Boxing Day. I said "a few" because I don't know how many he had. You're the one who's been saying he was pissed.

Going to the cricket with your mates, having a few drinks and a good time will never equate to bad decision making IMO, so you're right. Agreeing to disagree is the best we can do.

Disco08 said:
Going to the cricket with your mates, having a few drinks and a good time will never equate to bad decision making IMO, so you're right. Agreeing to disagree is the best we can do.

Yeah, you're right. Going to the cricket and starting/escalating trouble with other patrons which results in your mates getting ejected is not my idea of a good time. Each to their own.

Baloo said:
Yeah, you're right. Going to the cricket and starting/escalating trouble with other patrons which results in your mates getting ejected is not my idea of a good time. Each to their own.

And you accuse me of making assumptions?

You've been slamming Petterd simply for going to bay 13 with his mates since this discussion started. That's the point I was addresing.

Disco08 said:
You've been slamming Petterd simply for going to bay 13 with his mates since this discussion started. That's the point I was addresing.

Yes, it was poor decision making to go there for an AFL footballer. Idiotic decision IMHO. It's asking for trouble and his group got it.

You can defend his intentions all you want, but the fact is trouble escalated, Petterd's caught on camera throwing stuff and people in his group got ejected.

Maybe if they had popped a couple of Es instead of drinking there wouldn't have been any trouble.

And you accuse me of immature posting. Pathetic.

Hundreds of AFL players would have been to the cricket and had a few beers with their mates over the years without incident. Quite a few might have been in scuffles but mobile phones didn't have cameras built in until recently. It's not asking for trouble. It's living life.

Did you even notice the story of the eyewitness that said there wasn't really much trouble and that the players didn't deserve to be ejected? What about the bit in that article that said Petterd left of his own accord?

Why are you assuming Petterd's actions escalated the situation and why are you assuming he was pissed?

This incident somehow seems worse than the Edwards one on Cox Plate day. Is there something we don't know Baloon? ;D

I think everyone has missed what actually happened here. He didn't throw the cup at anyone or to anyone he was pictured in the act of catching the cup that was thrown to him. ;D

See no story here. 8-