Ricky Petterd | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ricky Petterd

bullus_hit said:
He had 45 tackles in 9 games from round 13 until the end of the season at an average of 5 a game. What were you expecting, 14 tackles every week?

my uniformed opinion of pettard is he can tackle and he can do all the right things, when he chooses to. if we can get him wanting to every week he could be a handy addition, if we cant he will go the way many other 'talented' footballers who wont work hard enough go. bush.

bullus_hit said:
He had 45 tackles in 9 games from round 13 until the end of the season at an average of 5 a game. What were you expecting, 14 tackles every week?

It was more about effort. It was there one week and then gone the next.

Brodders17 said:
my uniformed opinion of pettard is he can tackle and he can do all the right things, when he chooses to. if we can get him wanting to every week he could be a handy addition, if we cant he will go the way many other 'talented' footballers who wont work hard enough go. bush.

snap

theox said:
It was more about effort. It was there one week and then gone the next.

i reckon that's been the story of melbourne for the past 5 years, guys like Sylvia, Green, Petterd, Maloney and Jamar all ran hot and cold at various stages (and those are the good ones). Without wanting to state the bleeding obvious, the club had a pretty poor culture and were being sent mixed messages by the coaching staff about the standard of football expected. When a club tries to lose, it's no wonder so many players develop bad habits.

My enduring memory of Petterd was in his first season when he continually put his body on the line, got crunched on more than one occasion and then got straight back up again for more punishment. Anyone who questions Petterd's commitment to the team cause is forgetting about the skinny kid who got his lung punctured on the football field because of his fearless attack on the football. Put him in the right environment and I think you'll be seeing the Petterd of old.

Melbourne's problems seem to stem from that it was entirely and overly Jim Stynes focused, especially when he held both roles of President & CEO.
(The RFC certainly knows the damage of having a dual President & CEO.)

During this time, it never solved its crisis of Junction Oval v Casey v Olympic Park, and still doesn't have a certain home.

If you don't have a home, you have a nomadic culture.
This is the MFC's major ailment.

Phantom said:
Melbourne's problem seem to stem that it was entirely and overly Jim Stynes focused, especially when he held both roles of President & CEO.
(The RFC certainly knows the damage of having a dual President & CEO.)

During this time, it never solved its crisis of Junction Oval v Casey v Olympic Park, and still doesn't have a certain home.

If you don't have a home, you have a nomadic culture.
This is the MFC's major ailment.

There's more to it than that, the club were deliberately trying to lose football matches, that is a culture killer and saw many players pack their bags a head elsewhere. I reckon the tanking investigation is going to uncover some horrible truths which will cost many their jobs. We haven't even heard half of it.

bullus_hit said:
There's more to it than that, the club were deliberately trying to lose football matches, that is a culture killer and saw many players pack their bags a head elsewhere. I reckon the tanking investigation is going to uncover some horrible truths which will cost many their jobs. We haven't even heard half of it.
I imagine it would be hard to give 100% effort when Club was trying to lose games! you'd be thinking 'what's the point'

bowden4president said:
I imagine it would be hard to give 100% effort when Club was trying to lose games! you'd be thinking 'what's the point'

The players didn't know that. They thought every player playing in the opposition positions to what they normally play was a character-building exercise.

GoodOne said:
The players didn't know that. They thought every player playing in the opposition positions to what they normally play was a character-building exercise.

Brock McLean got the blues.

bullus_hit said:

They mentioned on the radio today that the findings will be shared over the next week.

bullus_hit said:

Not much use in docking the Dees premiership points. Be like suing a homeless person.

Tigers of Old said:
Not much use in docking the Dees premiership points. Be like suing a homeless person.

Perhaps better to penalise them by giving them premiership points. They hate that.

Brodders17 said:
Only going off a couple of media comments Brodders but according to Petterd himself, he had some ongoing injury, achilles problems for most of the last two seasons which have now supposedly been fixed by surgery.
Know bugger all about him as a player, apart from when he copped the holey lung.
Perhaps the problem has never been about being willing to work hard enough or consistently, but being unable to get to the required workloads or consistency due to ongoing injury problems.
More than comfortable with waiting till I get to see his output onfield before I grow another worry furrow in the brow. At worst he'll be a very cheap dud delist for us, if he gets consistently near the best he's shown we'll be laughing.

I've always seen Pettard as top shelf skilled but either very unlucky with injury or one of the many who relies on talent alone and not as committed on the work bench.
I know the of " I'm a gun it will just happen for me "attitude accounts for the majority of coodabeen champions, but of he has been stiff with injury and attitude is good then he is certainly worth a punt or2